Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can make Limoncello with normal vodka. Just pick the highest alcohol content you can find. Leave it for the same amount of time (3-4 weeks) before adding sugar and diluting. Only difference is that, when you add water to the high-alcohol version, the liquor turns cloudy whereas, with the low-alcohol version, it tends to stay clear.

Last edited:
You can make Limoncello with normal vodka. Just pick the highest alcohol content you can find. Leave it for the same amount of time (3-4 weeks) before adding sugar and diluting. Only difference is that, when you add water to the high-alcohol version, the liquor turns cloudy whereas, with low-alcohol version, it tends to stay clear.
you can def make it with Vodka, but I find the taste difference (due to differences in extraction I wonder?) large enough to use the high octane stuff. I brought some high grade Alcohol from Italy, perhaps ordering online is worthwile...although regulated good do not fall under the free trade in the EU it should be possible to get smaller quantities shipped.

alcohol enema's works too, but if getting drunk is the bang for the buck drinking no taste 95% will do the trick just fine ;-)

alcohol enema's works too, but if getting drunk is the bang for the buck drinking no taste 95% will do the trick just fine ;-)
The enema is a lot faster though when you're in a hurry! And it's probably a lot more pleasant than some of the cheap booze...

Cajun-inspired chicken rice pan:
1670668726934.jpeg

I think I would rather drink it: 2007 Darwin Award.
If you do not adjust the dose the first pass effect may get you, so evolution might help us forget stunts like this.

For the next weeks I probably will not be cooking much, our new house is ready so we now will be busy managing a bunch of contractors for various finishing work , including a kitchen :)
I'll drool over the pictures in this thread soon...

One of the online meat purveyors sent me a nice coupon about a month ago and I got 15lbs of wagyu ground beef for about $6/lbs delivered. Today i made something I don't make often because alone, it takes 3 hrs and it's sorta annoying, heh... So, I called 2 friends and said, I am making meatballs, so if u want to come and help me clean, i'll feed you beer and subs. Well, they brought their wives too... and they brought their own beer.. Win win.

All of us ended up forming them and I spiced and cooked and them 4 washed dishes...

I only used 5 lbs of meat and it made 45 meatballs. We ate 1/2 and 1/2 is in the freezer for next time...

I don't claim to be great at meatballs or have an amazing recipe or can do a great sauce, but I know what I like, but mostly, I know what I dislike... which is a tough meatball that falls apart. I think the main reason many people's meatballs are tough or fall apart is they don't use enough panade. I used 1 quart of 1% milk and likely 4 cups of panko. I also precook my onions (5 big ones) and add a large head of garlic (minced last 3 min). I also used 1.5 table spoons of freshly ground pepper about 1 table spoon of salt and bunch of parsley. By using panade, I didn't 'have' to use cheese. I also didn't use pepper flakes/anything else inside meatball. I fried off a small piece and tasted it and it was spot on.

While I was doing all of that, I blended 5 28cans of sanzano's.. into a 12 qt pot. Added 2 tea spoons of pepper flakes, table spoon of salt and 2 table spoons of sugar. Bay leaf and a stems of parsley. I let it simmer for about 90 min or low heat, stirring every 30 min or so...

I fried off the meatballs and then put them in the sauce for an hour and removed the bayleaf/parsley..

After that, soft sub roll, provolone and 2-3 meatballs...

Sauce ended up being chunky and spicy, little sweetness and saltiness. As for wagyu beef, I can't imagine it made a lot of difference, TBO...

I only managed to get formed pic and fried pic... forgot to take it when they were on a place, sorry!

1.jpg

2.jpg

From green walnuts?
Sorry, I don't know the variety, only that she gets them from a tree her son has in his yard, they live in North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany. I'll try to inquire.

I can tell you they are similar to the kind you would typically find in your typical local grocery store in the US and that they are not black walnuts... 🙂

Last edited:
Limoncello in the making. Will be sitting like this for a month before I'll add sugar and dilute it to about 25% alcohol content.
View attachment 213200
Funny... just made sonething similar...
Fermented Moroccan Saltlemon. Quartered the lemons, added lots of seasalt in between, pepper, piment and laurel. poured hot water over it and now it goes into the cellar for min 6 weeks of fermenting. Afterwards it will be a perfect addition to oriental style meats or salads..
20221211_112511.jpg
20221211_112516.jpg

May not look like much but the best batch of chicken stock I've made yet.
Flat of Halal chicken drumsticks, celery, onions, carrots and garlic roasted off in a 425F oven for 45 min. Then thrown into my Staub oval coquette, covered with water and salt, peppercorns, bay leaf and cloves. Put into the oven at slow cooker mode for 12 hours.

The picture may not show it well, but stock is really dark and rich.

20221211_185907.jpg

Back