Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a ball of dough as well as cheese and sauce leftover from yesterday, so I made another pizza. With peppers, onion and olives this time plus arugula after the fact. Maybe not the best looking pie, but still very yummy - the extra fermentation of the dough added noticeable flavour.
IMG_3213.JPG

There was a ball of dough as well as cheese and sauce leftover from yesterday, so I made another pizza. With peppers, onion and olives this time plus arugula after the fact. Maybe not the best looking pie, but still very yummy - the extra fermentation of the dough added noticeable flavour.
View attachment 245896
Interesting, I've never heard of leftover dough before 😅

Was planning to have very traditional American burgers on Memorial Day, but my burgers using store bought ground beef have been less than stellar compared to some of the burgers we've had at some local restaurants. For some reason, I decided to grind my own beef... and after a quick Amazon order for a stand mixer grinding attachment , I went at it. I researched the tutorials online and following all the instructions ground a 1.5 lb chuck steak and 1.25 lb of boneless short rib. Was quite easy, did a coarse then medium grind. Finished out the meal with grilled corn and rosemary roasted baby potatoes. Burger was way better than I've made before... tender, juicy and with great beef flavor.
IMG_9323.jpg

I decided to grind my own beef... and after a quick Amazon order for a stand mixer grinding attachment , I went at it.
Smart move! Freshly ground meat is much better, and you are in full control of the texture and what goes into it. It's worth doing.

I use a grinder attachment for my Kenwood Chef XL Titanium. It works really well, even when I need to grind several kg. Setting it up and cleaning it afterwards takes all of five minutes, so I don't mind the small amount of extra work.

Tip: For a really clean grind without smearing, cut the meat into chunks that fit into your grinder and put the meat into the freezer for half an hour, spread out on a tray. If the meat is semi-frozen or very close to frozen, you get a very clean grind without smearing. It doesn't matter for hamburgers so much but, if you want to make sausage or salami, having the fat pieces very distinct makes a big difference.

Some garlic fried rice came via delivery the other day but it ended up in the fridge. Rebooted it today in wok with a spoonful of niter kibbeh and left it to crisp socarrat style with a palmful of water, lidded. Cucumbers cut with a humble VG10 Yaxell, not pictured. Wife found and got into it before I could take a photo.
IMG_4558.jpeg

Last edited:
Smart move! Freshly ground meat is much better, and you are in full control of the texture and what goes into it. It's worth doing.

I use a grinder attachment for my Kenwood Chef XL Titanium. It works really well, even when I need to grind several kg. Setting it up and cleaning it afterwards takes all of five minutes, so I don't mind the small amount of extra work.

Tip: For a really clean grind without smearing, cut the meat into chunks that fit into your grinder and put the meat into the freezer for half an hour, spread out on a tray. If the meat is semi-frozen or very close to frozen, you get a very clean grind without smearing. It doesn't matter for hamburgers so much but, if you want to make sausage or salami, having the fat pieces very distinct makes a big difference.
Thanks! Yes, I did the partial freeze of the meat, as well as the full freeze of the grinder parts. Don't know if I'll ever try making my own sausage, but you never know... something to think about when I'm retired.

Was planning to have very traditional American burgers on Memorial Day, but my burgers using store bought ground beef have been less than stellar compared to some of the burgers we've had at some local restaurants. For some reason, I decided to grind my own beef... and after a quick Amazon order for a stand mixer grinding attachment , I went at it. I researched the tutorials online and following all the instructions ground a 1.5 lb chuck steak and 1.25 lb of boneless short rib. Was quite easy, did a coarse then medium grind. Finished out the meal with grilled corn and rosemary roasted baby potatoes. Burger was way better than I've made before... tender, juicy and with great beef flavor. View attachment 245996
I just do small batch grind with my food processor. But damn it if I don’t want a burger now!!

I just do small batch grind with my food processor. But damn it if I don’t want a burger now!!
You would be better off just chopping it by hand, the food processor turns it into a paste. No need to clean the food processor either..!

You would be better off just chopping it by hand, the food processor turns it into a paste. No need to clean the food processor either..!
for burgers it is awesome. blend some fatty meat with some flavorfull meat. chill it until soft frozen..Blip blip blip. done. i only get it to a loose chop. i am not getting it to that gummy bouncy sausage snap level.

Edit: it is not! It uses ancho, oregano, cumin, coriander.

Which makes me want to try it Ethiopian style with berbere.
Thats it. You can use different chiles of course. Mix and match to your liking…

edit: my spice rack agree with your Ethiopian twist @mengwong Let us know how it goes.
IMG_3245.JPG

Last edited:
Would you mind sharing your recipe? I am looking for a crust like this.
This will make 2 250g dough balls.

Day 1, make the poolish(preferment) by stirring 0,5g dry yeast into 58g lukewarm water, then add 58g of flour. Stir everything together.
Let this sit at room temp for 1 hour in a closed container, then put it in the fridge for 24 hours.

Day 2, take the poolish out of the fridge and leave at room temp for 1 hour.
Make the main dough by stirring the poolish into 135g water along with 9g suger and 9g olive oil then add 241g flour.
Knead at low speed for 5 minutes then rest 10 minutes.
Add 8g salt and knead at medium speed for 5-10 minutes or until the dough is shiny and smooth. Let the dough sit at room temp for 1 hour.
Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and divide into 2 250g pieces then ball them up and put them into a proofing box or closed container of your choice.
Stick the box in the fridge for 24 hours.

Day 3, take the dough straight from the fridge and make you pizza. I bake them on a steel in my domestic oven at 275C.

This is basically a recipe by Per Miljkovic-Bangert that I modified to work in my domestic oven by enriching it with oil and suger. It results in a crispy pie with a short bite. If you want it to have a longer bite and be more like a Neapolitan pizza, then leave the oil and suger out and bake at approx 420C

Bon appetit!

I just realised that my new'ish mini kettle grill is so small that I can do skewers directly over coals. Please forgive the earthy background, I'm relaying my terrace and removed the old bricks, the new ones arrived today and will go in shortly... Anyway.. Shish Tawouk chicken kebabs in a flatbread with slices of tomato, fresh herbs and toum(Lebanese garlic sauce).
IMG_3284.JPG

IMG_3290.JPG

Latest posts

Back