Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nice New York Strip with a few steak kabobs:hungry:

Man, I just love some of these high quality pics. :Ooooh: I gotta get me one of those cameras now. Any rec?

Man, I just love some of these high quality pics. :Ooooh: I gotta get me one of those cameras now. Any rec?

This is a question that I've seen come up alot. Food and knife photography is a HUGE subject and, like anything there's a huge range of equiptment and methods and very strong opinions. Everything from a point&shoot or phone camera and a nice north facing windowsill to thousands of $ of specialized lighting and tens of thousands of $ of camera & lenses.

I know that we've got some pretty experienced and innovative photo/video guys in this forum (I suspect there's a pretty big overlap between the catagories of knife/food geek, and photo geek). I actually think that this could be it's own forum section or perhaps a sub-section under the media center: a place to discuss both gear and technique.
What do you all think? However, not being a senior guy here or well practiced forum architect I'm probably not the person to set that up...*looks at Jim for guidance*

Justin,
As a rule forum creation,for example a "darkroom" or what have you, is driven by member content. If we end up with 3 paqes about shooting photos, camera gear lighting and editing programs, then a new stand alone forum would becomes viable.

For now at least, feel free to post about this in the "off topic" forum.

Thanks for your great suggestion!

Justin,
As a rule forum creation,for example a "darkroom" or what have you, is driven by member content. If we end up with 3 paqes about shooting photos, camera gear lighting and editing programs, then a new stand alone forum would becomes viable.

For now at least, feel free to post about this in the "off topic" forum.

Thanks for your great suggestion!

Thanks for the advise Jim - you're a pretty nice guy for an "Old Curmudgeon"! I started the new thread in over in OT. I think that just the people who regularly post in this photo-rich thread alone could supply all the the content needed to get this thing going.
location for all you foodies that are also...uhhh... photies? : http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?1820-The-Dark-Room&p=26412#post26412

Gateau de pomme de terre "Anna"
2011-07-01_17-27-20_859.jpg

Chives and Usuba
2011-06-16_17-26-00_709.jpg

Cote de Beouf
2010-12-03_17-22-24_472.jpg

Getting ready for the 4th. 4 slabs of St. Louis style ribs and 2 slabs of baby backs. Pulled Pork to come.
imag0058b.jpg

Last friday I got some pork belly and started to cure it. Rubbed it with kosher salt, and then a dry rub consisting of grated ginger, sugar, cocoa, coffee, smoked paprika, chipolte, and maybe a couple other things. After 7 days, I grilled it:

bacon1.jpg

And here it is sliced:

bacon2.jpg

It came out good. Meatier than store bought bacon, easy to slice in thick slices and stays dead flat in the pan when you sear it. Also, as evidenced by all my odd ingredients in the rub, it is probably the most complex bacon I have had. Starts out very much like ham, then you get ginger and paprika, and finally it finishes with lots of classic bacon flavor, with some really nice coffee hints.

We are going to make some at work (with better pork from a local farm that raises heritage hogs), with an emphasis on the coffee and some spices that love coffee. Thinking about a Fried Farmer's Egg, House-cured Caffeinated Bacon, and Waffle Fritter as an appetizer for our next menu.

Here is our current Salmon offering; Grilled organic salmon, zucchini linguine, roasted corn, blistered grape tomatoes, bacon, and corn-saffron coulis:

salmon1.jpg

Last edited:
Johnny,

The pictures aren't working for me but it does sound quite fantastic.

They werent working for me at first either, I changed them. Still not working for you?

Last friday I got some pork belly and started to cure it. Rubbed it with kosher salt, and then a dry rub consisting of grated ginger, sugar, cocoa, coffee, smoked paprika, chipolte, and maybe a couple other things. After 7 days, I grilled it:

bacon1.jpg

And here it is sliced:

bacon2.jpg

It came out good. Meatier than store bought bacon, easy to slice in thick slices and stays dead flat in the pan when you sear it. Also, as evidenced by all my odd ingredients in the rub, it is probably the most complex bacon I have had. Starts out very much like ham, then you get ginger and paprika, and finally it finishes with lots of classic bacon flavor, with some really nice coffee hints.

We are going to make some at work (with better pork from a local farm that raises heritage hogs), with an emphasis on the coffee and some spices that love coffee. Thinking about a Fried Farmer's Egg, House-cured Caffeinated Bacon, and Waffle Fritter as an appetizer for our next menu.

Here is our current Salmon offering; Grilled organic salmon, zucchini linguine, roasted corn, blistered grape tomatoes, bacon, and corn-saffron coulis:

salmon1.jpg

Fixed!

Love eggs....eggs with chimichurri, bacon hash browns & rye toast
IMG_0508.jpg

0716011743.jpgPlane looking, but tasty. Teriyaki chicken (the mirin is great!) done on the BGE, and sesame noodles with home made ramen noodles, mirin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, toasted sesame oil, honey and some veggies.

Oh yeah,

Good looking dish. Best thing is good nuoc mam to go with your banh xeo.

Making me hungry.....

I just made this chicken stir fry with fried egg, baby bok choy, green beans, broccolini and bean noodles.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I whipped this up for dinner tonight for myself and the wife. Choice filet w/ shitake cream sauce and thyme infused mashed potatoes. It was very tasty and cooked perfectly medium rare.

I dunno why, butt mushrooms give me the heeby-geebys.

I whipped this up for dinner tonight for myself and the wife. Choice filet w/ shitake cream sauce and thyme infused mashed potatoes. It was very tasty and cooked perfectly medium rare.

That looks great!!! :bbq: And I love mushrooms, I didn't as a kid but I certainly do now.

Made up some Carolina cole slaw and pickled Vidalia onions to go with the PP.

Every weekend Jim cooks something great .
must drive your neighbor's crazy.:bbqsmoker:

Awesome pictures Jim. Are those pork butts, you must forgive my newbie question? Also, if you haven't already would you mind sharing your dry rub?

Back