Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noted the recipe from Lars. I discusssd it with my wife and she noted the Holy basil which is almost certainly unavailable in my area of the USA but is critical to this dish. There are supposedly 4 different varieties of this basil and the right one is essential. I’ll look into this and may try to grow some basil but what type did you folks use? The anise flavored Thai basil I can readily get is the wrong stuff.
Holy Basil is difficult to find here, too. Occasionally, I see it at a market stall or some such. I grow Holy Basil from seed; that way, I always have it available.

If you can't find or grow it, ordinary basil does make for an acceptable substitute, more so than Thai basil.

Caponata with my new Xerxes. First time having it, and I’m feeling so grateful for all the interesting dishes mentioned on here that I look up and inevitably try myself. I don’t watch cooking shows, never have, much to all of my loved one’s surprise. Kind of like how I never liked watching basketball as a kid. Just made me want to play. Well anyway this recipe will be put into the regular rotation. Thanks @daveb 😘 A fine meal with a fine knife.

IMG_0554.jpeg

I need some of that basil @KDSDeluxe 😛

An old comment, but a valuable one to me. I have tried this goose liver sausage many times, including at Yung Kee. I just hate it. I love goose liver in all its forms, but this sausage tastes like it has some volatile solvent added to it, like rubbing alcohol. The people around me act as though it tastes fine. This is the first time I've ever seen a hint that someone else thinks this sausage is bad.
i think you have to grow up eating it to find it palatable. but yeah, it's like they took a nice organ meat and made it worse. i just pick around it and eat the lap cheong..

Caponata with my new Xerxes. First time having it, and I’m feeling so grateful for all the interesting dishes mentioned on here that I look up and inevitably try myself. I don’t watch cooking shows, never have, much to all of my loved one’s surprise. Kind of like how I never liked watching basketball as a kid. Just made me want to play. Well anyway this recipe will be put into the regular rotation. Thanks @daveb 😘 A fine meal with a fine knife.

View attachment 328835

I need some of that basil @KDSDeluxe 😛

Nice presentation.

Aging helps!

But again why risk it.
Since don't eat much dairy have become more lactose intolerant. Do use butter in some sauces & cooking. After reading above cheddar is <1. Maybe that's why I can eat extra sharp cheddar the aged sharp flavor softened on top of burger or in a sandwich. Like the stuff aged at least a year.

My guilty pleasure is Frozen Yogurt Black Cherry Fudge Chip ice cream. Yogurt fermentation largely takes out bovine lactose.

I noted the recipe from Lars. I discusssd it with my wife and she noted the Holy basil which is almost certainly unavailable in my area of the USA but is critical to this dish. There are supposedly 4 different varieties of this basil and the right one is essential. I’ll look into this and may try to grow some basil but what type did you folks use? The anise flavored Thai basil I can readily get is the wrong stuff.
I have bought it on occasion and usually wish I had used the anise flavored Thai basil. 😄

The holy basil I got here tasted relatively unexciting. Maybe not completely authentic but I love the anise stuff.

I have bought it on occasion and usually wish I had used the anise flavored Thai basil. 😄

The holy basil I got here tasted relatively unexciting. Maybe not completely authentic but I love the anise stuff.
+1

Holy basil is completely unobtainable for me, so I use Thai sweet basil instead and I love it too.

I wanted a cheeseburger. But in an effort to live my healthiest life, I dragged my hungry self home and made another SARDINE SANDWICH. Spread was shallots, capers, parsley, pepper flakes, olive oil, vinegar and a drizzle of the oils the fish was packed in.

So delicious and filling.

IMG_2032.jpeg

I wanted a cheeseburger. But in an effort to live my healthiest life, I dragged my hungry self home and made another SARDINE SANDWICH. Spread was shallots, capers, parsley, pepper flakes, olive oil, vinegar and a drizzle of the oils the fish was packed in.

So delicious and filling.

View attachment 328948
Here. You might vicariously enjoy an Emmental/crimini bagelburger with shallot mustard baconnaise.

(plus a wine aged thirty-three in a fancy Riedel goblet; a sound pairing)

IMG_4082.jpeg

Maintaining my tradition of garbage pictures I present you... Iberico cheeks in pedro ximenez sauce....which honestly doesn't look all that different from the chocolate sauce I made for desert.

Attachments

• IMG_20240616_175334.jpg
    IMG_20240616_175334.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Got a request for Yangzhou fried rice 扬州炒饭
So had to make some char siu first
IMG_4789.jpeg

The Konosuke HD2 suji is hard to beat for a no nonsense slicer
Laser sharp, great edge and very forgiving semi stainless
It’s always on rotation

Attachments

• IMG_4789.jpeg
    IMG_4789.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Yangzhou fried rice 扬州炒饭

View attachment 328991View attachment 328992View attachment 328993
EddWorks 258mm gyuto 52100 symmetrical s grind
As good as anything I own
Looks great! I am making a variation on that in a couple of hours. It's from a Hong Kong cookbook recipe, ham and peas and shrimp. I've made it before, so I know it's good. If I'd had lead time, I'd have made the char siu...or maybe that's laziness talking.

I found some wonderful shrimp to use, that a fish store here, that I trust, talked me into. I needed that trust, because they are from Vietnam, where the worst shrimp I ever bought came from. But these are the premium stuff. She said they taste kind of like lobster, and they do.

Looks great! I am making a variation on that in a couple of hours. It's from a Hong Kong cookbook recipe, ham and peas and shrimp. I've made it before, so I know it's good. If I'd had lead time, I'd have made the char siu...or maybe that's laziness talking.

I found some wonderful shrimp to use, that a fish store here, that I trust, talked me into. I needed that trust, because they are from Vietnam, where the worst shrimp I ever bought came from. But these are the premium stuff. She said they taste kind of like lobster, and they do.
I just happened to have pork butt on hand so decided on char sui and chicken with velveted ginger scallion shrimp cooked separately and added toward the end
No lettuce tho- I don’t care for wilted lettuce

Julia Child’s Beef bourguignon

When choosing a knife, I asked myself… which one would the legend choose if by some miracle she were in my kitchen and cooking with me? Who knows, but the thought of it and the beautiful rustic feeling that all raquins possess really elevated the experience for me. The gf doesn’t care for onions or mushrooms but I just told her to trust me and at least try them and she was very impressed, of course.

IMG_0581.jpeg
IMG_0586.jpeg

Latest posts

Back