Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miso tontoro…72 hour miso, sake marinated pig jowls
IMG_1303.jpeg

Served with gailan, tomato eggs, cucumber radish salad and miso soup
IMG_1304.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

Last edited:
I literally moved a ton of bricks today, so I'm absolutely spent. Luckily I anticipated the situation and made plans(and buns and condiments) in advance...

Fatty brisket patty cheese burger with aged cheddar in a shokupan/brioche hybrid bun garnished with arugula, tomato, pickles and not-so-special-sauce(mayo and ketchup).

IMG_3324.JPG

I literally moved a ton of bricks today, so I'm absolutely spent. Luckily I anticipated the situation and made plans(and buns and condiments) in advance...

Fatty brisket patty cheese burger with aged cheddar in a shokupan/brioche hybrid bun garnished with arugula, tomato, pickles and not-so-special-sauce(mayo and ketchup).

View attachment 246923
That sounds terrific after a strenuous day. Also, I really appreciate your photography here and in general.

View attachment 246923
Good you provided the context. If I had only seen the picture I'd be worried about you!

Made these shell-on, head-on grilled prawns last night and they came out amazing. cut the shell up the back and cleaned/de-veined but kept the shell on so it helped keep the meat pretty tender. seasoned with a spicy seasoned salt and then basted with a lemon parsley butter while cooking which was able to get to the prawn meat through where the shell was cut. they came out really awesome. messy AF to eat but def worth it.

1686069501108.jpeg

Finished laying the bricks for my terrace and made another burger. With caramelised onions, fried egg and chipotle mayo to switch things up. Pretty indulging, but I figured I deserved a treat..!
IMG_3358.JPG

Last edited:
Pizza chronicles week 3: two steps forward and one step back.

After two weeks of semi success, this week collapsed. I think the dough over proofed. As a result it stuck badly to the peel. Tried a few things but a mess was the result.
View attachment 247387
Thanks for sharing, have you tried opening the dough in semolina? That made a huge difference for me…
IMG_3183.jpeg

Thanks for sharing, have you tried opening the dough in semolina? That made a huge difference for me…
View attachment 247388

Normally I spread a thin layer of semolina on the board I work on, and then further spread some semolina on the peel before I place the pizza on it.

My belief that this was over proofed, even for a short time dough was due to my process today. I was following Forkish's I slept in recipe, which has a 4 hour rest after forming the balls. Due to the weather today, we'd had all the windows and patio door open so the house was quite cool. To combat this, I'd run the oven for a minute and then put the balls to rest in the oven. When I pulled them out, I could tell the tray they were on was too warm. The balls had developed a skin and when I opened them up, they were way too soft and would not hold shape.

I do like your tray.n I just don't know if I'm ready to commit to that much of a setup for a 12" pie.

Normally I spread a thin layer of semolina on the board I work on, and then further spread some semolina on the peel before I place the pizza on it.

My belief that this was over proofed, even for a short time dough was due to my process today. I was following Forkish's I slept in recipe, which has a 4 hour rest after forming the balls. Due to the weather today, we'd had all the windows and patio door open so the house was quite cool. To combat this, I'd run the oven for a minute and then put the balls to rest in the oven. When I pulled them out, I could tell the tray they were on was too warm. The balls had developed a skin and when I opened them up, they were way too soft and would not hold shape.

I do like your tray.n I just don't know if I'm ready to commit to that much of a setup for a 12" pie.
If you ever have doubts on the pizza sticking, after it's been shaped, place it on a square of parchment, then add all the toppings and transfer it to the oven on that parchment.

If you ever have doubts on the pizza sticking, after it's been shaped, place it on a square of parchment, then add all the toppings and transfer it to the oven on that parchment.
he's using a peel.

When overproofed there is little one can do except add some fresh flour, reball and wait a little while more.

It also can help to keep the time between putting sauce and toppings on the pizza to over really short

he's using a peel.

When overproofed there is little one can do except add some fresh flour, reball and wait a little while more.

It also can help to keep the time between putting sauce and toppings on the pizza to over really short

Yeah, I was using a peel (a non stick one at that). I'm also using an ooni clone, so temps were above the burn point of parchment.

Time was also a factor (which is what had led to the oven proofing). I'd gotten to making the dough a touch later than I should have, so cook time was already at 7:30pm (and we generally eat around 5-6). A factor that the wife thinks was significant was that I was 00 flour, but had to use 10% all-purpose as I ran out of 00. And now looking it up, what I thought was all-purpose was actually whole wheat flour.

Now with all that being said, the crust that was cooked and edible was delicious. Great flavour and nice chew and even the picky teenager liked it. The next few batches are going to be focused on consistency - same recipe, same flour, same rest time. Control what I can as I can see the formings of some very good results.

regular flour overproofs faster, yet at 10% you probably did not put a large dent in the 00 W number.

I'm positive it was the time in the oven at the temperature it was at. The only way to be sure is to try again next week and leave it on the counter as I should have in the first place. Only testing issue will be I likely won't use the same 00 flour as it'll depend on what is available when I go to the store. Not quite ready to invest in Caputo while I'm learning.

FWIW; I found it way easier to make decent pizza when I started using Caputo, there are other brands selling tipo 00 with high W numbers too, doesn't have to be Caputo ;-)

FWIW; I found it way easier to make decent pizza when I started using Caputo, there are other brands selling tipo 00 with high W numbers too, doesn't have to be Caputo ;-)

The biggest issue there is that finding W is a problem as it's not something I can find normally listed here in Canada. Protein % is not a problem, W is not all that common.

I also find it amusing that I can find stuff listed as Manitoba flour for import, but I can't find it here where the province it's named after it located.

perhaps you can find experiences (pizzamaking.com forum) of fellow Canadians with the flours you can find, there is not really a relation between W number and protein content.

Finished laying the bricks for my terrace and made another burger. With caramelised onions, fried egg and chipotle mayo to switch things up. Pretty indulging, but I figured I deserved a treat..!
View attachment 247304
That is a beautiful burger. Can you explain to me why putting a fried egg with runny yolk is a prime thing to put on a burger? I've seen it on tv and never understood it. I've never known a real person to do it.

That is a beautiful burger. Can you explain to me why putting a fried egg with runny yolk is a prime thing to put on a burger? I've seen it on tv and never understood it. I've never known a real person to do it.

I do it from time to time for sure! Makes it so rich and luscious.

part of dinner was a Rösti made out of potato (courtesy of the debuyer mandoline) with some chopped shallot, lots of black pepper and an egg, cooked in mangalica fat, topped with a black garlic mayo/greek yoghurt dressing. sided with a Mangalica chop and buttered peas (not shown).
Life can be great and simple when you dare to enjoy fat :)
20230608_181337.jpg

Back