Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This tasted better than it looks..

IMG_0031.jpg

Lamb ribs?! Wow. I’m gonna call my butcher.

Boom - you can find them typically labelled "denver ribs" on the left coast (in SoCal at least btu it is what I have seen) ... D'Artagnan (amongst many others) sells them on line. Love 'em - usually I serve them as an app (typically 'Vietnamese-style') as they are a bit fatty ... yum yum yum ... off to the freezer thx guys!

Everything looks great here - love this thread.

Boom - you can find them typically labelled "denver ribs" on the left coast (in SoCal at least btu it is what I have seen) ... D'Artagnan (amongst many others) sells them on line. Love 'em - usually I serve them as an app (typically 'Vietnamese-style') as they are a bit fatty ... yum yum yum ... off to the freezer thx guys!

Everything looks great here - love this thread.
Thank you.

568F0B2A-DA8A-4BA0-A566-F0BC74C5EBF9.jpeg
Here is tonight’s dinner. Got a big bunch of escarole so I cooked them down with some beans.

Simple Chicken Dinner
Roast Chicken, Steamed Asparagus with Hollandaise, Garlic Rosemary Potatoes

_20190517_201500.jpeg
_20190517_201255.jpeg
_20190517_201422.jpeg

image0.jpg

braised octopus (dashi/honmirin/sake/soy sauce), quick pickled veg (rice wine vin/salt/sugar/ponzu/garlic/ginger/thai chili)

Bavarian meal. Weißwurst (soft pork sausage) with Bavarian-style potato salad and homemade Brezen.
IMG_2826.jpg

Label Rouge chicken breast cooked under a brick with potatoes and salsa.
IMG_0035.jpg

You put a brick or anything heavy on top while cooking. It's helps make the chicken crispy and moist.
Ah, OK. Nothing special about the brick then. Any weight that doesn't affect taste would do then. I will read up about this. Interesting idea, thanks!

Ah, OK. Nothing special about the brick then. Any weight that doesn't affect taste would do then. I will read up about this. Interesting idea, thanks!
Here's an extreme version. I've done de-boned chicken thighs under a brick and it's worth doing.

Chirashi-sushi
Squid (Thailand), Octopus (Morocco), Salmon (British Columbia), Yellowtail (Kyusshu, Japan), Tamago. Homemade kombu soy sauce
_20190519_075914.jpeg
_20190519_075831.jpeg

@Michi I have tried for years to make nagiri at home but still need many more years o practice lol

Another way, for the brick on top, is to use a heated cast iron pan on top instead, it cooks super fast and makes both sides cruchy and is great for duck breast and chicken thighs.

I often use a preheated foil-wrapped brick, just because I usually have them in my oven anyway for pizza. Cast iron's fine if more convenient, too.

I had a really odd and not entirely pleasant nor unpleasant couple of days. Kind of a microcosm of life-

As part of this progression, I left home on a lovely spring morning after planting my herb garden and some tender perrenials. And returned two days later in a blizzard...

20190513_183817.jpg

20190519_123247.jpg

A number of other things happened en route. I went to a nice park with several lovely waterfalls I've never been to before, despite being less than 3 hours drive from home.

20190517_141716.jpg

I helped scatter the ashes of a person I loved into the waters where these falls run into one of the great lakes as she had several times requested be done. Totally illegal, that. **** anyone who wants to be a dick over this.

20190517_144413.jpg

And on the way home in a blizzard, I stopped at a fish store. Which is where my weekend activities intersect with this thread...

20190519_184634.jpg

This is a pound of burbot (eelpout!) fillets. If you're a Finn, perhaps you already know about this fish. If you're from USA, maybe not.

I had heard lots of misguided/wrong things about them. These were AWESOME.

The basic recipe linked below is stupid simple, I wouldn't change it except perhaps to advise you that I used 50:50 white wine and apple cider vinegars + a splash of reduced balsamic instead of the generic "vinegar" (white vinegar?) given on the recipe page here:

http://www.roughfish.com/content/poor-mans-lobster-eelpout-burbot-recipe

20190519_182934.jpg

I ate the whole pound of burbot by myself, with some melted butter, fresh squeezed lemon juice, fresh ground black pepper and a healthy dose of sea salt. Sometimes simple presentation is best when you have an absolute ass kickin' main ingredient.

Goodbye, Beth. It was good knowing you, I now understand why you loved the North shore.

20190518_202642.jpg

Last edited:
I had a really odd and not entirely pleasant nor unpleasant couple of days. Kind of a microcosm of life-

As part of this progression, I left home on a lovely spring morning after planting my herb garden and some tender perrenials. And returned two days later in a blizzard...

View attachment 53397

View attachment 53398

A number of other things happened en route. I went to a nice park with several lovely waterfalls I've never been to before, despite being less than 3 hours drive from home.

View attachment 53399

I helped scatter the ashes of a person I loved into the waters where these falls run into one of the great lakes as she had several times requested be done. Totally illegal, that. **** anyone who wants to be a dick over this.

View attachment 53400

And on the way home in a blizzard, I stopped at a fish store. Which is where my weekend activities intersect with this thread...

View attachment 53401

This is a pound of burbot (eelpout!) fillets. If you're a Finn, perhaps you already know about this fish. If you're from USA, maybe not.

I had heard lots of misguided/wrong things about them. These were AWESOME.

The basic recipe linked below is stupid simple, I wouldn't change it except perhaps to advise you that I used 50:50 white wine and apple cider vinegars + a healthy splash of reduced balsamic instead of the generic "vinegar" (white vinegar?) given on the recipe page here:

http://www.roughfish.com/content/poor-mans-lobster-eelpout-burbot-recipe

View attachment 53402

I ate the whole pound of burbot by myself, with some melted butter, fresh squeezed lemon juice, fresh ground black pepper and a healthy dose of sea salt. Sometimes simple presentation is best when you have an absolute ass kickin' main ingredient.

Goodbye, Beth. It was good knowing you, I now understand why you loved the North shore.

View attachment 53403
Sounds like a soulful and fulfilling weekend. Thanks for sharing.

At first I thought there was a typo--Burbot instead of Turbot. Never heard of the fish. Glad it turned out.

Back