Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks seriously tasty! Can you share a recipe? I would like to to try that.

I actually have it memorized. :) it’s super easy actually. I type too slow on iPhone to attempt it.

But send me your email and I’ll scan the magazine article over to you tomorrow.

In the meantime go and buy glutinous sweet rice flour and untoasted sesame seeds. :D

Boom - you can find them typically labelled "denver ribs" on the left coast (in SoCal at least btu it is what I have seen) ... D'Artagnan (amongst many others) sells them on line. Love 'em - usually I serve them as an app (typically 'Vietnamese-style') as they are a bit fatty ... yum yum yum ... off to the freezer thx guys!

Everything looks great here - love this thread.
I heard back from Heritage Farms. They have have lamb belly (also called breast) with ribs in stock, priced at $15/lb. They typically sell as two packs totaling 5-6lbs, and each piece is individually wrapped. We have two breeds available; Dorset Horn and Tunis. Since these are not listed on the site, you need to order by phone--Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm EST.

I've never had their lamb, but their free-range heritage turkeys are great, as is their charcouterie. Not inexpensive by any stretch, but a nice option if you're looking for heritage breeds raised by small farmers.

https://heritagefoods.com/

Ah, OK. Nothing special about the brick then. Any weight that doesn't affect taste would do then. I will read up about this. Interesting idea, thanks!
Alton Brown has the technique on foodnetwork.com. Uses whole spatchcocked chicken. Comes out fine, but I get just as good of results with spatchcocked in cast iron skillet at 450 degrees.

Ken

Pumping the brakes a bit. Simple food

Fried tofu with a chili soy sauce.

And sunflower shoots with scrambled eggs.

Attachments

• C5AAA856-055E-4651-9AC8-DC1145679ECE.jpeg
    C5AAA856-055E-4651-9AC8-DC1145679ECE.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 3F1608A1-D20A-4696-8661-EE31F5388FC2.jpeg
    3F1608A1-D20A-4696-8661-EE31F5388FC2.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 42
I made another porterhouse, this time to celebrate handing in my thesis on time. The Finnish wagyu again. No sous vide, just pan fried and butter basted with garlic and tarragon.

IMG_20190518_173631.jpg
IMG_20190518_190157.jpg

Looks like you nailed the temp perfectly!

Congratulations on your thesis!

Ken

Thank you. I still use a thermapen to get close to the right temp.

That Fat looks amazing !!

View attachment 53580

Just a simple plate of Somen for breakfast

I always do as much as I can to make sure the fat cap cooks so it's nice to eat. Cool noodles. Is that bonito flake on top?

IMG_20190518_190200.jpg

I made another porterhouse, this time to celebrate handing in my thesis on time. The Finnish wagyu again. No sous vide, just pan fried and butter basted with garlic and tarragon.

View attachment 53553View attachment 53554

Apparently we are exporting all beef with fat because it sure as hell isn't for sale in stores in Helsinki and if it isn't for sale in Helsinki then it sure as hell isn't for sale anywhere else in the country, either.

I need to fly down to Denmark to get a proper Finnish steak? :)

Ironic set lunch, Instant chazuke with 4 hour slow roast pork belly, pickled cucumbers and carrots
DSC_2014.jpeg

Apparently we are exporting all beef with fat because it sure as hell isn't for sale in stores in Helsinki and if it isn't for sale in Helsinki then it sure as hell isn't for sale anywhere else in the country, either.

I need to fly down to Denmark to get a proper Finnish steak? :)
Here is the link to the Danish importer of the Finnish steak. https://jnmeat.dk/en/

Maybe you can backtrace it to find out where in Finland it comes from.

Here is the link to the Danish importer of the Finnish steak. https://jnmeat.dk/en/

Maybe you can backtrace it to find out where in Finland it comes from.

Yep.

https://www.maaseuduntulevaisuus.fi/ruoka/artikkeli-1.266309

It says, briefly, that the cows are Ayrshire which aren't even meant for meat, they were created for dairy. It also says that you can't buy it in Finland. It also says that not only did this Finnish meat take top place, it basically cleaned the entire award table.

Knowing Finnish regulations, it will probably be against the law to sell it here as meat if it receives ANY sort of subsidies as a dairy cow.

Who knew Finnish dairy cattle would make a steak that good. I'm quite happy that I can get this meat only a 20 minute drive from where I live, usually at decent prices. I haven't purchased American ribeye since I found the Finnish stuff.

I have these four vacuum packed in the freezer so I can put them directly in the sous vide bath.

IMG_20190511_132232.jpg

Back