Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear with another soup picture, I hope it's not too silly. Actually I thought I had this photo inserted in my previous post a few days ago, then realized that I can't go back and edit it to delete the duplicate. So this is basically my attempt to see the image uploaded versus a file attachment that I originally messed up.

I learned right away I should stick to the coarse side of the grater, versus the finer grate seen below for the cheese.

_MG_2595.jpg

Interesting assertion. How do the pro sous vide camp respond? I have been considering trying out sous vide meats - it would be interesting to hear a few points of view.
I have been using sous vide for years. My first thought agrees with others, not enough sear. The other possibility is cooking too long.,while the temp remains constant too long changes the texture. That said i sear on a cast iron plate in the ooni (pizza oven) at almost 1000 degrees. Back at the beginning of this forum there was a thread about how do you like your beef done. Might be fun to revisit that.

His do I follow melted cheese?

Very humble grilled zucchini soup. Picked today.

Attachments

• 8692BAF3-5FC4-450A-BADF-6F60EA1969D6.jpeg
    8692BAF3-5FC4-450A-BADF-6F60EA1969D6.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 54
I always put in effort on my sear game, but maybe I should give it another try...the few times I did it I thought it wasn't worth the time and effort for an unimpressive difference from traditional steak cooking methods. Usually I'll temper my steaks to room temp and depending on the thickness I'll either cook all the way on a CI pan or finish in the oven after searing. I don't even bother with the reverse sear I just move the pan to the oven. Salt and pepper and maybe finish with butter baste with thyme and garlic. Whatever it is with sous vide steak, I feel like there's an undesirable tradeoff despite "edge to edge" doneness.

Last edited:
IMO, “tasting like boiled beef” probably just means it wasn’t seared enough. I mean, the only similarity between slow sous vide and rapid boiling is that there’s not much Maillard happening. I usually only SV thick steaks, where you can still get a good sear without overcooking the middle. The browning will happen more rapidly after SV, since after you blot the surface there’ll be less moisture there than with raw beef. However, I usually double sear, once before SV and once after, turning the steak over every 30 seconds or so during each sear. If you’re worried that you won’t be able to sear enough after the bath without overcooking, e.g. if you’re doing a thin steak SV, cool it off a bit first.
I've tried sous vide a couple times on steak. The sear was good, the temperature was perfect (one time med rare, second time rare). Both times I seared after SV. Flavor was good. I just didn't dig the texture.

I've tried sous vide a couple times on steak. The sear was good, the temperature was perfect (one time med rare, second time rare). Both times I seared after SV. Flavor was good. I just didn't dig the texture.

Interesting. I admit that often I don’t like the texture of steaks that have been brined (or dry brined), so sometimes I don’t salt the meat before SV. Not sure I’ve noticed a huge texture difference otherwise with a short SV, other than it being an iota tenderer.

The purple asparagus has been coming up in droves, more than I can eat or even give away.

So I tried pickling some this evening, along with carrots, jalapenos, young fresh dill shoots and garlic. Used 50:50 apple cider and white wine vinegars + bay leaves, red pepper flakes, raw honey, sea salt & the usual dry pickling spices.

Blanched the veggies for 2 minutes right in their jars by pouring in boiling water from my electric kettle, then drained the blanching water and poured in the hot vinegar/water/spice mixturd & applied lids.

These are going into the refrigerator, not using a canning bath. Won't last long, once the flavors mature...
20190615_000925.jpg

20190615_005627.jpg

Last edited:
The purple asparagus has been coming up in droves, more than I can eat or even give away.

So I tried pickling some this evening, along with carrots, jalapenos, young fresh dill shoots and garlic. Used 50:50 apple cider and white wine vinegars + bay leaves, red pepper flakes, raw honey, sea salt & the usual dry pickling spices. Blanched the veggies for 2 minutes right in their jars, then drained blanching water and poured in the hot vinegar/water/spice mixture.

These are going into the refrigerator, not using a canning bath. Won't last long, once the flavors mature...View attachment 54974
View attachment 54975
Nice!
I love asparagus and am going to plant some Jersey Knights tomorrow.

Nice!
I love asparagus and am going to plant some Jersey Knights tomorrow.

Oddly enough, I planted both the Jersey Knight asparagus (an all male cultivar) and Purple Passion asparagus, 8 years back.

The Jersey Knight has a very good "asparagus flavor" but is not especially sweet. It is my preference for COOKED asparagus.

The Purple Passion is like one of the EH sweet corns! It is so sweet fresh from the asparagus bed it's like eating candy. I often just munch them down fresh out in the garden while I'm picking.

I have a bunch of "volunteer" asparagus coming up now from the random crossing of the purple asparagus and the Jersey Knight. They maintain the purple coloring usually, but are HUGE from hybrid vigor, these volunteers can be over 1" thick stems at base yet still be tender.

Last edited:
I always put in effort on my sear game, but maybe I should give it another try...the few times I did it I thought it wasn't worth the time and effort for an unimpressive difference from traditional steak cooking methods. Usually I'll temper my steaks to room temp and depending on the thickness I'll either cook all the way on a CI pan or finish in the oven after searing. I don't even bother with the reverse sear I just move the pan to the oven. Salt and pepper and maybe finish with butter baste with thyme and garlic. Whatever it is with sous vide steak, I feel like there's an undesirable tradeoff despite "edge to edge" doneness.
I'm in agreement with what you say. For a normally thick steak, SV provides no benefit, and I actually think the risk of over cooking the meat while searing/butter basting is real. For normal steaks, just bring them to room temp, sear, baste, rest, and eat.

Thick (2"+), bone in steaks, on the other hand, are prime SV candidates. I don't perceive boiled beef flavor at all, especially if I grill it.

Now you guys have me wanting a steak!

I had never cut a "St. Louis style" rack of ribs from a whole side of pork ribs or cooked any pork ribs with the sous vide method before.

High time I tried... Two sides, 13 lb. of ribs (before trimming) are presently in the water bath, set for 36 hours @ 145 F°, then out of the water bath and into the cheap ass Walmart wet smoker!

More later as this develops.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/how-to-trim-pork-spare-ribs-st-louis-style.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/09/sous-vide-pork-ribs-recipe-food-lab.html

.20190617_231915.jpg

20190617_232437.jpg

20190618_004224.jpg

Last edited:
Another Sous Vide steak, this time a T-bone which was seared in CI then served with the DamageInc green peppercorn recipe, and roasted asparagus with Parmigiano-Reggiano

I started dry aging beef at home a few years ago. It's a lot of work, and I don't always bother, but I have a meal plan for tonight that sorta matches your beautiful meal. Mine are 40-45 (can't remember exactly) day dry-aged prime grade ribeye from Costco. Yellow squash and asparagus to round things out and maybe an Italian red.

One upside to the work that goes into dry aging is there's no waste, if you're resourceful. I don't grind my pellicle for hamburgers, but instead I toss them into the stockpot when making stock or demi-glace. That demi will make a killer addition to the mushroom-red wine pan sauce.

Back