Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used free range chicken from the local supermarket.

Stewing chickens at my asian markets are called old chickens. They take 4 to 6 hrs to simmer. 1 hr in pressure cooker. I use them for stock and toss the meat. By the time they break down the meat is not good for eating in soup.

I raided the pantry and made soup.
IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_7145.jpg
IMG_7160.jpg

I cooked a porchetta the other night (didn't use a loin, just the belly)! This could be the king of all roasts for me. Was pretty spot on! Maybe could've done with 20-30 more mins @ 180 degrees.

Seasoning for the meat side of the belly: sage, thyme, 4 garlic cloves, chilli flakes, fennel seeds, lemon zest and some salt. Put this in a mortar and pestle and made it into a bit of a paste with some olive oil.

Nothing fancy, but made a hash out of some leftover ribeye from the other night. When I was a kid, it didn't matter what the meat was - If there were leftovers, it was going into a hash! Never wasted anything. Just potato, onion and steak cooked in butter with salt and pepper. Not too bad and it let's me do a lot of chopping!
20191016_233250.jpeg

Details please!
Cure? Where is it hanging? Temperature? How do you keep insects off.
I do bacon but it cures in the fridge.
Thanks

I first dry cured (curing salt and typical pancetta spicing) in the fridge for 1.5 weeks, then hung it for almost three weeks in my garage. It's 7 - 15 C at the moment. But pork jowl is forgiving, made it once even close to 20C. The garage is unheated perhaps it is in the 15-18C range. (If you're interested I can stuff a thermapen in some liquid in the garage ;) ).
I used to wrap it in cheese cloth, but I get much better results unwrapped (less/no funghi). Insects are no problem here, perhaps they get scared by all the pepper ;)
Finally I cold smoked it overnight on beech.
In case you'd like more details....

We also eat it uncooked, sliced as thin as possible (like lardo/salo)

Last edited:
That's a beautiful chx :)

Any prep details? Wet brined? Blanched the skin?
Nothing real fancy here. No brine, I just put a homemade rub on and under the skin. Four pats of butter under the skin too(around 2 tablespoons). Put it on a 400* grill and let it spin for an hour. Turned out nice and juicy.

I first dry cured (curing salt and typical pancetta spicing) in the fridge for 1.5 weeks, then hung it for almost three weeks in my garage. It's 7 - 15 C at the moment. But pork jowl is forgiving, made it once even close to 20C. The garage is unheated perhaps it is in the 15-18C range. (If you're interested I can stuff a thermapen in some liquid in the garage ;) ).
I used to wrap it in cheese cloth, but I get much better results unwrapped (less/no funghi). Insects are no problem here, perhaps they get scared by all the pepper ;)
Finally I cold smoked it overnight on beech.
In case you'd like more details....

We also eat it uncooked, sliced as thin as possible (like lardo/salo)
Thanks and you are right about the pepper. I researched prosciutto a while back and the cut end of the gets coated with lard and lots of pepper

View attachment 62828 View attachment 62829

I cooked a porchetta the other night (didn't use a loin, just the belly)! This could be the king of all roasts for me. Was pretty spot on! Maybe could've done with 20-30 more mins @ 180 degrees.

Seasoning for the meat side of the belly: sage, thyme, 4 garlic cloves, chilli flakes, fennel seeds, lemon zest and some salt. Put this in a mortar and pestle and made it into a bit of a paste with some olive oil.

do you dry the belly overnight before roasting to get the crackling super crispy?

Back