Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20200515_185311.jpg

General Tso's chicken, sauce and rice on the side. Got the recipe when I was conscripted in the general's army.

I put the ragu on chill until tomorrow as suggested by Kenji.

Tonight is fish night - sous vide wild salmon, spuds, courgette and tomato.
View attachment 80402

Did you sear the salmon afterward? The problem I have with SV fish that’s not seared or something is that it’s only lukewarm by the time you’re eating it. I need that brief hit at a higher temp to ensure that it’s still hot in the mouth. Maybe I just need to work on my plating speed, though.

I just did another batch of bolongese. Flavor is very very excellent, but this time I had ground lamb and 80/20 beef and had probably 1/2 a pint of fat I had to remove. Last time it was MUCH less because I used veal vs lamb and 90/10 ground beef vs 80/20. Good news is, it was simple to remove since I did it 3 times after it was in an oven for an hour each, so it easily settled in the middle.

I wrote out the recipe here, in case anyone is interested

Attachments

• bolongese.jpg
    bolongese.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
General Tso's chicken, sauce and rice on the side. Got the recipe when I was conscripted in the general's army.
Do you feel like telling us a bit more? Both about the recipe (including the sauce!) and the story behind this when you were in the army?

Last edited:
Did you sear the salmon afterward? The problem I have with SV fish that’s not seared or something is that it’s only lukewarm by the time you’re eating it. I need that brief hit at a higher temp to ensure that it’s still hot in the mouth. Maybe I just need to work on my plating speed, though.
It's so fragile when it comes out of the waterbath that I don't wan't to risk breaking it apart. But it did go straight to the plate so temp was ok.

Do you feel like telling us a bit more? Both about the recipe (including the sauce!) and the story behind this when you were in the army?
https://foodretro.com/general-tsos-chicken-sauce/https://foodretro.com/chinese-fry-batters/That sauce has a ton of salt (soy sauce) and sugar in it, I cut those by about a third, and I double the red pepper. Go crazy with the orange zest too. After helping repel the forces of Empress Duck, General Tso said he was going to team up with Burger King to kill Americans, with diabetes.

This is J. Kenji Lopes-Alt from Serious Eats ragu bolognese with some homemade tagliatelle.
I used beef and pork, but no lamb. The chicken liver is a nice addition. Was a little skeptical, but it works in the dish.
It took a ton of black pepper to counter the richness. Worth a try imo.
IMG_0631.jpg

Back