Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a dental surgeon on a mining expedition in my lower jaw yesterday. Taking baby steps with food for a day or two.

jook made with homemade chicken stock.

10:1 ratio for a thinner final product.
B7DF4277-A7F2-4602-84B6-C16A39E00F94.jpeg

I love the serious eats method, makes me wish I still had access to a smoker... these days I just sous vide with liquid smoke then sear in a cast iron pan but you don't get anything resembling what you just made :(
I have a gas grill, but I added some logs loosely wrapped in aluminium foil and a fair bit of spruce needles, I think it's not traditional but I do like the smoke from spruce needles and cones a lot and those are readily available to harvest around me.

I have a gas grill, but I added some logs loosely wrapped in aluminium foil and a fair bit of spruce needles, I think it's not traditional but I do like the smoke from spruce needles and cones a lot and those are readily available to harvest around me.

I don't know what kind of grill you have, but I add a chunk of apple or cherry wood onto the flavorizer bars below the grates. If the flame on that one is low enough, it puts off a pretty nice smoke. I've done a couple canadian bacons and a regular bacon that way, as well as pork ribs.

pine smoke is poisonous to grill with

pine smoke is poisonous to grill with
I'm not smoking with pine wood, I'm burning spruce needles. I have seen talk about unpleasant smell from pine and other softwoods to the meat if used to smoke but I have seen plenty of needles being used to cook. That being said, if you have a reliable source where I can read about the toxicity of the needles I would appreciate it.

I don't know what kind of grill you have, but I add a chunk of apple or cherry wood onto the flavorizer bars below the grates. If the flame on that one is low enough, it puts off a pretty nice smoke. I've done a couple canadian bacons and a regular bacon that way, as well as pork ribs.
One thing that works fairly well is to soak wood chips in water for an hour or so. Then make a rectangular parcel out of aluminium foil with the wood chips inside and sit it on top of the flat bars that cover the burners. Poke a few (five or six) small holes into the top of the parcel, and you have a simple smoking setup.

Last edited:
Back