Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's a good way to tell if they are ready without fishing one out and taking a bite?
All ways of telling whether they are ready without fishing one out are bad ways… ;)

But, seriously, I'd give them at least a week before trying one, preferably two. I've had fermented cucumbers and tomatoes going for three weeks before putting them into the fridge. And, once in the fridge, they last for two months or more.

I'm on day 3 of making lacto-fermented dill pickles. Never done this before. What's a good way to tell if they are ready without fishing one out and taking a bite?

e307879cf38f8a11697c.png

3b5c02bbfc3dde2e6f4d.png
Give the jar a shake every morning when you dont get any bubbles they are done.

Thanks for the tips. I fished out a small one and it just tasted like salty cucumber. Needs to go for quite a while longer.

I had 4 oz of market sourced pork and a few shrooms leftover so made a low carb ragu...

Raquined the mirepoix & shrooms...that's some weird yellow carrot.
P1050810.jpeg

Sauted with the pork and some garlic...
P1050814.jpeg

Deglazed with sake, because that's what was open in the fridge, and added a 16oz deli of my San Marzano base sauce:
P1050815.jpeg

Cooked it down to this and chilled for later...
P1050816.jpeg

Last edited:
I had 4 oz of market sourced pork and a few shrooms leftover so made a low carb ragu...

Raquin your mirepoix & shrooms...that's some weird yellow carrot.View attachment 89862
Saute with the pork and some garlic...
View attachment 89863

I deglazed with sake, because that's what was open in the fridge, and added a 16oz deli of my San Marzano base sauce:
View attachment 89864

Cook it down to this and chill for later...
View attachment 89865

You're killin me with these descriptions bro 🤣

Thanks for the tips. I fished out a small one and it just tasted like salty cucumber. Needs to go for quite a while longer.
I've done dill pickles once but sauerkraut many times, I usually go 2-3 weeks. The cucumbers turned a kind of olive green instead of the bright green when fresh, the brine should also taste kind of fermented if that makes any sense and saves cutting into a cucumber

Let me show you a typical Bulgarian dish, suitable for the hot summer days.
it is called "Tarator": chopped cucumber, yogurt mixed with water, chopped garlic cloves, some walnut cloves, chopped dill, a spoon of olive oil, 5-6 cubes of ice...Ready.
Cooling, low callories, super easy.

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_124601.jpg
    IMG_20200811_124601.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200811_124654.jpg
    IMG_20200811_124654.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200811_130237.jpg
    IMG_20200811_130237.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200811_130313.jpg
    IMG_20200811_130313.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 9
it is called "Tarator": chopped cucumber, yogurt mixed with water, chopped garlic cloves, some walnut cloves, chopped dill, a spoon of olive oil, 5-6 cubes of ice...Ready.
Cooling, low callories, super easy.

That looks do-able in the heatwave we are currently having. tnx!

it is called "Tarator"
I've never tried this, but it sounds good! Strongly reminiscent of Greek tsatsiki, with walnuts added. No doubt, that'll be really tasty!

I'm not posting a picture because my knife work, while competent, was in no way distinctive, much less outstanding. And because my "cooking" consisted of plunking the thing into a pot for three hours' extra boiling. But here's the thing . . . I'm a pretty capable cook, but when Katz's ships me a whole pastrami, and I simply follow the exceedingly simple directions . . . well, maybe it's not exactly cooking, but the results are AWESOME.

Back