Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second this. I can't cook with soy, maggi (the one from France, Germany, or Switzerland) and 3 types of fish sauce. Actually, I'm not 100% sure these products contain MSG. They are just delicious so I assume there is MSG in it.

Fish sauce, soy sauce, Parmesan cheese, konbu seaweed, et al, have naturally occurring glutamates—the stuff giving that umami taste.

And I do have a saturated msg solution in a squeeze bottle next to my stove. More often than not I don't need it because a lot of the ingredients are already loaded, but if I want ba boost I squeeze some on whatever I'm cooking. If the fried rice I'm making isn't loaded with sauces I would squeeze become in the wok while cooking it.

Scrambled eggs in the baby Solidteknics pan with haloumi, turkey sausage and bacon
XH1A4951.jpg
XH1A4957.jpg

Lunch was pumpkin soup with onion chaffles. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the chaffles worked as soup delivery mechanisms.
XH1A4972.jpg
XH1A4973.jpg

Oh, Villeroy and Boch crockery, as well.

I do HOPE you fried those potatoes in Duck fat...looks delicious!
Thanks, I used chicken fat rendered from my favorite french Label Rouge chickens, but it still turned out pretty good..!

Thanks, I used chicken fat rendered from my favorite french Label Rouge chickens, but it still turned out pretty good..!
Are these fried or baked? If fried, I assume you started them raw? The texture on those potatoes looks great!

Are these fried or baked? If fried, I assume you started them raw? The texture on those potatoes looks great!
Thanks! They are baked - here is my method:
Boil them until they are tender, drain and let them cool down.
Heat an oven to 190C with the fan on and put enough chicken fat in a baking dish to make it come 5mm up the sides and put the dish in the oven to heat up.
When hot add the potatoes and bake them for about 40 minutes, turning them every 10-15 minutes.
They have a fluffy inside and a crisp and glasslike exterior.

sounds like a great way to bake/fry without having to pay too much attention to the process. I usually do something similar in a frying pan with a load of duck fat, pretty much the amount Lars describes but then fry on the stove so it needs a constant watchful eye.

Got Tiger?
Got Rainbow?
both will become fried-butterflies by tonight

Latest posts

Back