Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxtail terrine with foie gras
10F81B97-935A-408F-A290-3B366711174C.jpeg

Breakfast - no bacon, again. Last pack defrosting for tomorrow, then buying more on Thursday. Love the onion chaffles, but no idea why my wife flipped the egg when frying it. She's not sure either, I did ask. I also overdried the halloumi :-( Did a great job of cutting the kransky, though, despite only using the Shun.

XH1A5129.jpg
XH1A5131.jpg

Got some Oyster Blade Steak a couple of weeks ago, but they'd taken the tendon out, so it was useless for my usual dish (which I discovered when I cooked it that afternoon), so I decided to just slowcook it in my osso buco recipe. Much better, although not as good as osso buco. With the usual cauliflower puree.

XH1A5120.jpg
XH1A5113.jpg
XH1A5123.jpg
XH1A5127.jpg
XH1A5133.jpg
XH1A5138.jpg

Malaysian food! Spicy Malacca Chicken Curry—aka Kari Ayam. Used a spice paste made in Malacca, coconut milk, fish sauce to season—far from instant, still had to do a fair amount of cooking and prep—cutting stuff, saute chicken in paste, simmering, adjusting, etc. *Excellent results, will be feeding off of leftovers for the next few days.

*This Kari Ayam perhaps not up to @lemeneid 's SG standards, but certainly hit the spot for me!

E69F880A-47FD-4F0E-9760-F3710BC051D8.jpg

53E0DF91-6DCC-455B-82BD-3FD97C837B53.jpg

E041615E-3431-4FD8-9CC8-B004C6FCBE35.jpg

Last edited:
Why do you have half of your signature written in Estonian? Which is like one of the smallest countries in the world :)

Both of my parents were born there.

And admittedly I used google translate to create that as neither of them taught me that language and I've sucked at trying to learn.

Both of my parents were born there.

And admittedly I used google translate to create that as neither of them taught me that language and I've sucked at trying to learn.

Sorry to hear they didn't teach you. I don't speak Estonian, either, but I can parse bits and pieces, both written and spoken, as some of it is quite close to Finnish. Example: Overpriced --> ülehinnatud (est) , ylihinnoittelu (fin) ... almost the same word.

Wifey had a long, hard Monday...requested Hayashi rice and a Negroni.
Nijiya Market to the rescue. Good rice is a must.
IMG_6447.jpeg

Brown then braise before adding the "Tasty Sauce Mix"
IMG_6453.jpeg

Rich and tasty
IMG_6455.jpeg

Serve with a bright fennel, carrot salad.
IMG_6454.jpeg

It's becoming my comfort food too...

My wife made me a very popular version of Basque Cheesecake for my birthday today. Gotta be honest, it spanked the hell out of my nearly 20 year old standby recipe from Cooks Illustrated who had a great recipe for New York Style Cheesecake. This one had more flavor and equivalent layered texture, maybe a hint more strong flavor of egg, but not distractingly so.

It's pretty impossible to buy these kinds of cheesecakes here in the Bay Area from the popular spot in the East Bay who's got a cult like following and sells out literally in seconds.

120349522_10157713056640897_2305673027912506252_o.jpg

My wife made me a very popular version of Basque Cheesecake for my birthday today. Gotta be honest, it spanked the hell out of my nearly 20 year old standby recipe from Cooks Illustrated who had a great recipe for New York Style Cheesecake. This one had more flavor and equivalent layered texture, maybe a hint more strong flavor of egg, but not distractingly so.

It's pretty impossible to buy these kinds of cheesecakes here in the Bay Area from the popular spot in the East Bay who's got a cult like following and sells out literally in seconds.

120349522_10157713056640897_2305673027912506252_o.jpg
Nailed it!

Back