Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for a spectacular looking roast for a small holiday gathering? Here's a Breast of Veal stuffed with Swiss Chard.

Don't let the size throw you off, each rib really is just about one portion. The whole bottom is massive bones with almost no meat, there's a small cap of meat on top.

But oh my, it is delicious!

This would feed about six, it's a pretty cheap cut of meat too.

Anybody interested, let me know I'll put the recipe in the cookbook.
View attachment 103542View attachment 103543View attachment 103544
Whao. That is spectacular. Where in Brooklyn did you buy that glorious hunk of meat?

Had to jump on my trusty bicycle, cross the damn bridge and go to Ottomanelli’s on bleecker street. Call two days ahead they have to order it.

Cost me thirty bucks.
Cheers! I love Ottomanelli’s, I used to live in the East Village before immigrating to Brooklyn. The pork store down the block from them is very good.

Mine is a 2:1 ratio of carrots to white radish (daikon); red onion, garlic and flat leaf parsley; seasoning included cumin seeds, ajwain, sugar, salt, rice vinegar, olive oil; heat from Japanese Shichi-mi tōgarashi. It's a popular dish throughout the former Soviet states, so seasonings vary depending on country. I've had it in Ukrainian joints, made with just carrots in vinegar, salt, sugar and a few pickling spices. Coriander leaves common, but I had none in the 'fridge.
I'm from an old soviet state as well (Lithuania). Our traditional carrot salad usually includes just carrots, garlic and oil. So that looked way more tasty than the initial. By the way I made your recipe like half an hour ago - tasted great! Thanks for sharing.

Some comfort food...

Boulettes à la sauce tomate:

20201024_125232.jpg

Martinova pojedina - traditional Slovenian St. Martin's feast: roasted duck stuffed with apples and pears, mlinci and red cabbage:

Duck.jpg

Martinova pojedina.jpg

Segedin golaž:

Segedin.jpg

Stuffed pork tenderloin:

Pork.jpg

Yesterday's quick dinner: some steak and Heinz baked beans:
Steak.jpg

today's fun: shortbread cookie with strawberry whipped cream. I really didnt know what to do with the strawberries on top so I kind of just chucked them on there... to be honest I just wanted strawberries and cream and this is what came to mind so it's not really fully realized.

ratios are from Bouchon bakery. the pink color / strawberry flavor is from a compote folded into a plain chantilly cream. these cookies were topped with turbinado sugar which add a really strong crunch and burst of sweetness against the tartness.

IMG_5977 (2).jpg

I'm from an old soviet state as well (Lithuania). Our traditional carrot salad usually includes just carrots, garlic and oil. So that looked way more tasty than the initial. By the way I made your recipe like half an hour ago - tasted great! Thanks for sharing.
Awesome! Here in Brooklyn, there're a lot of neighborhoods with communities from former Soviet republics—fascinating to see so many different riffs on carrot salad. I assume much comes down to what ingredients are available in each country—I can't imagine cilantro being readily found in Lithuanian shops in Soviets times. Does the Lithuanian version have any vinegar in it?

It's UFC fight night and the wife and I generally don't do much cooking on these nights. But still gotta eat!

Started scrounging in the fridge...Left over Mexican-style chorizo from yesterday's breakfast burritos... Half a jalapeno... Avacados... Nachos it is!

Just got the homemade cheddar/pepper jack/chorizo cheese sauce done. Most everything else is chopped and ready so prep work is mostly done. Just have to throw it all together, bake it up and make some guacamole later and all done.

i5A5jGw.jpg

Last edited:
“Friendship pie” made with my 5 year old, inspired by one of his current favorite books. More rustic than my usual pies, but I had a lot of fun with this one.
D3871A03-ADE9-4060-8D03-BD12F0FF8E3D.jpeg

P.S. teaching a lefty to use knives with a really sharp nakiri when you’re a righty is quite the experience. Times like this you’re thankful for square knives.

“Friendship pie” made with my 5 year old, inspired by one of his current favorite books. More rustic than my usual pies, but I had a lot of fun with this one.
View attachment 103828

P.S. teaching a lefty to use knives with a really sharp nakiri when you’re a righty is quite the experience. Times like this you’re thankful for square knives.

Not sure if it is anything you'd be interested in, but Mac makes a line of kids knives. Knife Merchant carries them. I'm thinking about getting one for my granddaughter when she gets a little older.

Either way, awesome to get kids in the kitchen! :)

@HumbleHomeCook, I’ve been eyeing this one as a knife for my boys (5 and 6):

https://knifewear.com/products/masutani-vg1-tsuchime-western-ko-santoku-130mm?variant=32047790751792
The 5 year old loves being in the kitchen with me, we were up at 5:30 this past Wednesday making pancakes for the family.

That's awesome! My girls are both good cooks. My oldest is the creative savory one and my youngest is the baker. They didn't take to it until they got older so it's awesome to have a youngster with you.

Here's the one I was talking about (comes in a variety of colors):
Mac 5 in. Blue Kid's Knife | knifemerchant.com

Very inexpensive but has some nice features for a little one.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and used to hang out in the kitchen absorbing everything. My three kids had no interest except in the eating part. Now they're out on their own learning to cook at home through recipes. Like learning a language, what you learn of cooking as a kid is invaluable.

Back