Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 92 year old neighbor likes sweet and sour Pork. I made it!

not really worth the work but on special occasions. Sure? Why not?

1536D3D7-9A83-42A1-B58C-4DA0102AF1A8.jpeg

The wife is out tonight so decided to do another fridge sweep for myself. I originally had ideas of roasted roasted vegetables with butter and going from there but as I pulled things out, stir fry took over.

The shrimp were the remnants of a frozen bag that needed to be used up. I thought there was only four or five but I was wrong. Gee, what a terrible mistake! :p The carrot chunks in the upper left are for my dog. He loves them!

Quick stir fry sauce of soy, rice vinegar, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and a some honey.

ssLkTtj.jpg

Into the trusty Matfer carbon steel pan.
NjVcNO2.jpg

qvRTo3g.jpg

Last edited:
Broke in the new Demeyere saute pan with a Buta Nabe: pork belly, cabbage, shungiku (chrysanthemum leaves), shimeiji mushrooms; cooked in dashi and finished with rice noodles...
View attachment 110072
View attachment 110073
i have always wondered what that veggie was! thanks. i buy it at the asian market and it is in chinese. it is my goto hotpot veggie.

I have been on a New Orleans kick so I decided to make a Muffaletta sandwich. My wife and baked bread today for the Muffaletta.

That looks delicious! The hard-to-reproduce aspect of the original (Central Grocery on Decatur St) muffuletta I think is the bread, that round loaf topped with loads of sesame seeds they use, which is served crustily toasted on the outside and just lukewarm and soft and absorbent on the inside, big enough to quarter into 4 individual sandwiches. The olive salad is also crucial, and I see you found that, which happily is widely available. I always have a few jars of olive salad in the house. That bread though, the round Sicilian loaf, is going to be very hard to find or reproduce.

That looks delicious! The hard-to-reproduce aspect of the original (Central Grocery on Decatur St) muffuletta I think is the bread, that round loaf topped with loads of sesame seeds they use, which is served crustily toasted on the outside and just lukewarm and soft and absorbent on the inside, big enough to quarter into 4 individual sandwiches. The olive salad is also crucial, and I see you found that, which happily is widely available. I always have a few jars of olive salad in the house. That bread though, the round Sicilian loaf, is going to be very hard to find or reproduce.

I agree Central Grocery is the best. Our bread is more a Schlotzskay type but seems to work well. I ate lots of Schlotzskay's back in my college days before it became a chain. I don't have a recipe for the real muffuletta bread. The muffulettas have gotten real pricey over the years. I think they were $18 pre-covid last time I was there but they are great.

Tomorrow I will make a large Schlotzskay.

Last edited:
My 92 year old neighbor likes sweet and sour Pork. I made it!

not really worth the work but on special occasions. Sure? Why not?

View attachment 109965
Bravo!
I disagree, it's worth the work—I love sweet/sour pork. It's comfort food for me. Admittedly, I've not made it in a long while.

What do you bread the pork in? I usually use corn starch.

I've been working on my sourdough baguettes.

1610854870789.png

1610855179214.png

1610854854298.png

Baker's %:
88 hydration incl. levain
16 levain
75 whole wheat
41 oat porridge

I've been making this recipe for a while. I think the more open crumb comes from the final proof. 1 hr on top of a preheating oven followed by 30-1hr at room temperature and 1-2 hrs in the fridge. Bulk ferment is just long enough for the dough to increase to 1.5x the original volume. I use a 12 hour autolyze with salt and the porridge.

I've been working on my sourdough baguettes.
These look seriously tasty!

Have to get around to making baguette, too. (I don't find it easy because it's such a high hydration dough and not easy to handle.)

Thanks! I've been working this recipe for almost a year now. High hydration doughs are tough. The final proof seems to be annoyingly sensitive.

I've always wanted to make brezen or other things with lye but I've been too scared to start. Your results are absolutely beautiful. Maybe I should give it a shot... Your post about baking with drain cleaner is scary though :oops:

I've always wanted to make brezen or other things with lye but I've been too scared to start. Your results are absolutely beautiful. Maybe I should give it a shot... Your post about baking with drain cleaner is scary though :oops:
I really isn't a big deal. If you don't like the idea of using drain cleaner, you can get food-safe lye for a few dollars on eBay.

Spent yesterday babying a brisket - this one was a “little” 14 pounder compared to the 21 lb honker I did over Christmas.

Dry rub applied and ready to hit the smoker.
View attachment 110395

All done and resting, with a few inches prematurely sliced off the flat as it was late and the troops were getting restless.
View attachment 110396
It looks nice. What was your smoking time? I shoot for 250 degrees for 6 hours with a smaller one it might be a little less.

I freeze leftovers after I get tired of brisket. It does make great breakfast tacos, eggs, potatoes and maybe beans. Add your favorite hot sauce.

Last edited:
It looks nice. What was your smoking time? I shoot for 250 degrees for 6 hours with a smaller one it might be a little less.

I freeze leftovers after I get tired of brisket. It does make great breakfast tacos, eggs, potatoes and maybe beans. Add your favorite hot sauce.

This one took about 9-10 hours for a target temp of 204F. I did 6 hours smoking at 250F that got it to around 150F, then 3-4 hours in the oven at 300. I used to stay in the 250-275 range but I’ve been playing with 300F to get it over the stall and finish up and it seems to work well for shaving a few hours off the total time.

I generally only do brisket when my daughter and her BF visit as they’re total carnivores - I vacuum pack and freeze most of it for them to take home. I love the leftovers in brisket fried rice and “brisket carbonara”.

Back