Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Potato Kugel with home-made bacon and Moroccan lamb sausage.
IMG_4056.jpg

With the duck confit built and the Rancho Gordo flageolet beans soaked (too long almost), I finally got thru the finished line with this cassoulet. It's really amazing and worth the work.

Assorted aromatics bundled together in leeks.

_MG_4093.jpeg

The beans, along with a very small head of garlic cut in half, an onion studded with 4 cloves, some bay leaves, the soaking liquid and mirepoix (actually just 3 whole carrots and 2 celery stalks) , thyme leaves and the beans were off. The recipe I roughly followed suggested a kilo of beans which meant it was going to be a large batch. I had to do the (meat) broth separately. I did toss in some diced pancetta I had on hand into the bean pot while they simmered too.

_MG_4095.jpeg

Building the meat broth, starting with some thick lardons of salt pork.

_MG_4100.jpeg

Pan seared some duck/pork/fig sausages as well as some traditional Toulouse sausages in the rendered salt pork fat.

_MG_4107.jpeg

Diced up and waiting to join back up in the pot.

_MG_4109.jpeg

Scooped out the now meltingly soft onion from the bean pot, discarded the cloves and roughly diced the onion to cook in the fond from the salt pork and sausages, scraping to "deglaze" the fond. To this I nestled in two very large pork unsmoked hocks, and topped up with water almost full. Gelatin to the rescue for building that crust!

_MG_4106.jpeg

Not shown, I bumped up the flavor and texture by incorporating the duck demi-glace I built with all the scraps from making the duck confit.

The Soy Turkiye pot was built up in layers of beans, sausages, a small amount of shredded duck confit (not wanting stringy, overcooked duck), and topped with the rendered salt pork and the remaining duck confit that had the skin attached, towards the end to crisp up and brown.

I built this recipe as a homologation of several I'd found during my hunting around.

Only last night did I have an epiphany that I could have saved significant time in the oven trying to build the dark floating crust by speeding up the process and mashing a small amount of the beans into a "paste" that would float on the surface. I'll definitely do this next time. I added the broth at various times, pressing down the thin crust I'd built, without stirring much. By some miracle, the beans still had great texture and weren't mushy.

The Languedoc wines I had weren't very impressive at all, but a rich dish like this definitely needs crisp, snappy acidity to cut thru all the richness. Very happy with how the cassoulet turned out. Leftovers at work weren't as inspiring without any wine. Lol.
_MG_4111.jpeg

Nothing fancy, a classic jamon buerre. I was craving one of these and coincidentally just so happens to be the anniversary of a spot I used to work at so I thought itd be fitting. Used to make hundreds of these a day during the busy season.

Attachments

• 20210126_103445.jpg
    20210126_103445.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for clarifying - I'm sure my post was very confusing to a forum where folks mainly collect japanese knives and stones, and where there are many separate discussions regarding Japanese culture, customs, and food.

What's the difference?
The ragu is slow cooked and this was a quick 20 minute affair. The spices in the sausage gives it a different flavor too.
It won't stop me making Ragu Bolognese, but it's nice to change things up sometimes.

I made a batch of spicy Italian sausage meat and used some to make a meat sauce for pasta. It was a nice change from the Ragu Bolognese I usually make.
View attachment 111569

So, do you have a recipe? I usually use Italian link sausage but this looks good and sounds simple. I might make it tonight if I have the stuff.

So, do you have a recipe? I usually use Italian link sausage but this looks good and sounds simple. I might make it tonight if I have the stuff.
This is off the top of my head. We don't have Italian sausage available around here, so that's why I made my own.
Sweat some onion and garlic until soft. Add the sausage meat and break it up. Cook until the sausage is lightly browned.
Add some tomato(I used canned whole peeled tomatoes that I crushed by hand) and a splash of Brandy. Cook for 10 minutes.
Finish with a bit of cream or creme fraiche, mix with the pasta of your choice and garnish with parsley or basil. Grate over some cheese and serve

Back