Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brisket sandwiches with pickled watermelon radishes instead of the usual dills... Tasty.
20210201_140427.jpg

Now this is probably not fine and fancy, but it’s a great stress reliever. When I have a particularly bad day at work and I’m pissed off at the world, I come home and make a Roux
Making a roux will take your mind off the world because it takes lots of patience time and concentration
This Roux ended up as a chanterelle gravy for my meat and potatoes tonight
Cheers

Attachments

• 3ADCEFBD-FA97-4E48-B394-681E87A9AD7B.jpeg
    3ADCEFBD-FA97-4E48-B394-681E87A9AD7B.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 13
When I have a particularly bad day at work and I’m pissed off at the world, I come home and make a Roux
Making a roux will take your mind off the world because it takes lots of patience time and concentration
Roux meditation:)

High of 14F today - warmest day so far this week. I wanted something deeply satisfying for dinner. Opened up the freezer and saw a chuck roast. As a good Midwesterner, that should mean it’s pot roast time. Not today.

I really wanted chile colorado even though I’ve never made it and had no tried chiles on hand. Armed with a recipe courtesy of Google, I wandered over to the grocery store and found no guajillos, no anchos, and no pasillas. Just some dried hatch chiles hidden at ankle level. Better than chili powder at least!

Here’s the result. It hit the spot, but it could have been a heck of a lot better. It lacked the complexity that multiple chiles would have brought. I probably used too much cumin and it seemed too bright. But, you gotta start somewhere.
2C1E0BBC-613B-4096-AD49-93BE5E557DDB.jpeg
98632FEC-3A4E-47AC-8BB2-4B9CC9169EE3.jpeg

Looks good and I would try it. I am not sure what chile Colorado is? It kind of looks like Carne guisada without gravy. I had a carne guisada taco just the other day for lunch. If I make chili now days I just buy 2-Alarm chili in a box as it has all you need to make chili just add ground beef or chili meat but we eat chili from a bowl. I like to add Fritos, cheese and green onion to my chili but not beans.

I have a jar of red hatch chilies ground to powder forum from hatch NM. I also have several quart zip locks filled with roasted green chili hatch peppers. Hard to go wrong with Hatch chilies.

Do you have recipe that you like?

PS
I go back and forth carne guisada and carne asada. The Texas versions here don't look like the recipes I see online. I think they are less stew like and more chili like.

Last edited:
Looks good and I would try it. I am not sure what chile Colorado is? It kind of looks like Carne asada without gravy. I had a carne asada taco just the other day for lunch. If I make chili now days I just buy 2-Alarm chili in a box as it has all you need to make chili just add ground beef or chili meat but we eat chili from a bowl.

I have a jar of red chilies ground to powder forum from hatch NM. I also have several quart zip locks filled with roasted green chili hatch peppers. Hard to go wrong with Hatch chilies.

Chile Colorado is a wonderful thing.

Like all things, specific recipes vary but look up Aaron Sanchez's video on YouTube. It's a good one and he lays it out well. I think it was on the Munchies channel but could be wrong.

I've almost got my potatoes pave recipe and technique down, still coming up with improvements. Finished in duck fat since I had it on hand. And that's a criminal level of doneness on the steak in some countries. :(
_MG_4215.jpeg

Is that gluten and soy free?
This one is probably not , the fish sauce I use might have gluten, I’m not 100% sure and the tamarind powder is from a packet mix and I’m sure there’s some form of gluten. But you can absolutely make this gluten free

No soy in this

This one is probably not , the fish sauce I use might have gluten, I’m not 100% sure and the tamarind powder is from a packet mix and I’m sure there’s some form of gluten. But you can absolutely make this gluten free

No soy in this
Thanks, can you share the recipe?

Back