Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quick question about the bean curd rolls, do you make them? I recently bought a box and really have no clue what to do with them other than likely steaming them..they have the appearance of being fried already. Rolls with seaweed in them, the combo looked very attractive to me...

Yep I make them from scratch, pork, shreds of woodear fungus, carrots, bamboo, shitake. Wrap them in fresh bean curd, fried and then steamed in an thic oyster based sauce.

I am making Sauerkraut and bratwurst my way. This is using my new pan. I combine bratwurst, potato, onion, apple, and sauerkraut with caraway seed in a cast iron high side 10-inch pan. I do like the potatoes and onions cooked separate. Then I bake it all in the oven until done. It tastes great to me.
IMG_0155.jpg

Since I've been gone; I made dim sum for the first time

Shui Mai - so much more work than they look
View attachment 115186View attachment 115187

Steamed Rice rolls (beef)
View attachment 115188View attachment 115189

Bean curd rolls - flash fried than steamed with oyster sauceView attachment 115182

Spring rolls - McDs Sweet and sour becauseView attachment 115183View attachment 115184

Steamed Pea Shoot ans Shrimp Dumplings
View attachment 115185

Glutinous Fried Rice - a CNY special, cooked from raw rice like a risotto, the egg garnish gets mixed in to prevent stickageView attachment 115181
That’s it! I quit. This is so NEXT LEVEL! Badass:)

I definitely need to learn this one. What does the Okonomi sauce taste like? Any seafood components? I ask, only because I'd look to avoid seafood flavors personally. This just looks like fun to make and probably even better to eat!

The sauce is kind of sweet & savoury but has some nice complexities, I can’t think of similar products I’ve tried (perhaps some LKK or similar sauces? But I don’t use many), but it is like a slightly more fruity version of the bulldog tonkatsu sauce. It’s been a long time since I’ve had the HP fruity version of the sauce, but that could be another similar product perhaps(?), it’s definitely not the same as the original HP or A1 sauces.

the otafuku okonomi sauce doesn’t have a seafood taste (their takoyaki sauce does, otherwise very similar sauce but with a seafood taste too). You could probably omit the dashi or use a mushroom based equivalent if you want to avoid seafood altogether (same with the bonito flakes). Lots of options with okonomiyaki.

As far as seefoood ingrentients in the sauce, I think the Japanese Otafuku sauces recently switched the export versions to be vegan, but I can’t taste too much difference compared to the original. They also make some in USA under their Otajoy brand.

I stocked up on the sauces because they’re sometimes hard to find here lol (new export versions have the predominantly English text)
A9F95492-8A9D-461F-A4F1-8466973C7EF5.jpeg

0A1FAC55-DBF3-4951-8DE3-DE3D214E5683.jpeg

*pick up mic*
*Testing 1-2-3*

Guess who's back, back again
Xenif's back, tell a friend
Guess who's back, guess who's back?
Guess who's back? Nah nah nah

I've created a monsterView attachment 114952 , 'cause nobody wants to see Ramen no more
They want Sourdough baked betterView attachment 114953View attachment 114954
Well if you want Xenif, then this is what I'll give ya
A little bit of who'wheat mixed with some sd starter
Some nice flour that will jump start my starter quicker
Soup in a pot when I get shocked at the rise
That yeast won't work not cooperating
When I'm covering mistakes with cleaver instagramingView attachment 114961 "Hey"
You waited this long you can stop the drooling
View attachment 114958
'Cause I'm back, I'm on the board continue posting
View attachment 114959
I know you got a job Mrs. Xenif
But your husband's knife problem is complicating
So the KKF is missing me or let me see lets post sushi
View attachment 114957
Takohiki lets cut some sashimi
View attachment 114956
Coz it feels so empty without me
View attachment 114960

*Drops mic*
is it you marshall? ;-)

Okonomiyaki from the other day
That looks great!
I definitely need to learn this one. What does the Okonomi sauce taste like?
I'll chip in because I've been making a few lately....
IMG_6997.jpeg

I had some leftover cabbage and pork belly from making a miso stew so picked up a bag of Okinawa style okonomiyaki flour.
It's basically AP flour with some crap added including kelp powder so you can make it with water. I use dashi anyway so when this bag is finished, I'll use AP and baking soda.
You can't really get the right texture unless you can find yamaimo (mountain yam), which turns
slimy when grated into the batter.
IMG_7004.jpeg

I like to make my own okonomiyaki sauce because I find the bottled sauce too sweet.
I do equal parts ketchup, oyster sauce and Bull-Dog Worcestershire sauce, which is more fruity than L&P.
I don't add sugar, but you can.
I also mix that Bull-Dog Worcestershire with ketchup and Coleman's mustard for a simple tonkatsu sauce
I think it is the key ingredient to get the right flavor sauce, along with Kewpie of course....

Last edited:
A few more Japanese dishes from this weekend...
Tamago Tofu with shirasu and mushrooms sautéed with butter and soy sauce, both inspired by Midnight Diner.
IMG_6992.jpeg
IMG_6993.jpeg

Served with Shogayaki pork belly and shungiku goma-ae
IMG_6994.jpeg

IMG_6983.jpeg

Last edited:
After freezing all last week Texas has warmed up to 75 degrees F today so I grilled. We had pork chops with BBQ sauce, Black-eyed peas with ham hocks, and homemade biscuits with whipped honey butter. Yum.

PS
This is not meatless Monday which we try to do. The weather was just too nice.

PPS
I should add I cooked the BBQ sauce on the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking time. By cooking the BBQ sauce on the meat at the end it sticks to the meat better and picks up a little smoke flavor. I like it better this way than just adding the BBQ sauce after cooking. If you try to cook the BBQ sauce on from the beginning it will caramelize and burn. So just add it toward the end of cooking. I used a Honey BBQ sauce. I usually have several different flavors of BBQ sauce on hand. I sauce each side of the meat. One other tip is to figure out which side you want up so when you sauce your meat it will come out right.

IMG_0159.jpg

Last edited:
I did some pork dumplings tonight. I should have taken a picture of my plate with the sides, and finished dumplings. I made a broccoli, boc choy, snow pea stir fry with noodles, sticky rice, and a salad with peanut sauce peanut chunks and crispy noodles, as the sides. Oh and of coarse a dipping sauce for the dumplings.
20210222_173315.jpg

That looks great!

I'll chip in because I've been making a few lately....
View attachment 115356
I had some leftover cabbage and pork belly from making a miso stew so picked up a bag of Okinawa style okonomiyaki flour.
It's basically AP flour with some crap added including kelp powder so you can make it with water. I use dashi anyway so when this bag is finished, I'll use AP and baking soda.
You can't really get the right texture unless you can find yamaimo (mountain yam), which turns
slimy when grated into the batter.
View attachment 115355
I like to make my own okonomiyaki sauce because I find the bottled sauce too sweet.
I do equal parts ketchup, oyster sauce and Bull-Dog Worcestershire sauce, which is more fruity than L&P.
I don't add sugar, but you can.
I also mix that Bull-Dog Worcestershire with ketchup and Coleman's mustard for a simple tonkatsu sauce
I think it is the key ingredient to get the right flavor sauce, along with Kewpie of course....

I like the idea of making the sauce yourself, wish I could find bulldog Worcestershire sauce here (hard enough to find the prepared tonkatsu sauce). Its often difficult to find some of the Japanese ingredients here, so I’ve substituted takoyaki flour too, other times I’ve used a blend with whole wheat pastry flour (to be heathy lol). When I’m running low on the mountain yam (only comes in stock a few times a year it seems) I’ve added some tapioca starch which seems to help. Think I read about using finely grated potato too as a yam substitute, but haven’t tired and imagine it’s not quite the same.

When I was in Germany 50 years ago, I ate and loved German Wiener Schnitzel. I have never made it, maybe I should. You are giving me ideas.

Last edited:
Japanese Chicken Curry

I usually make Japanese curry as a lazy basic easy meal. Was actually gonna make a chicken noodle soup. Still pretty basic but made with homemade chicken stock, 2 different brands of curry roux, experimented and finished with soy sauce, honey, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and worchesterhire. Turned out way better than expected.

Attachments

• IMG_20210223_115420_633.jpg
    IMG_20210223_115420_633.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9
I like the idea of making the sauce yourself, wish I could find bulldog Worcestershire sauce here (hard enough to find the prepared tonkatsu sauce). Its often difficult to find some of the Japanese ingredients here, so I’ve substituted takoyaki flour too, other times I’ve used a blend with whole wheat pastry flour (to be heathy lol). When I’m running low on the mountain yam (only comes in stock a few times a year it seems) I’ve added some tapioca starch which seems to help. Think I read about using finely grated potato too as a yam substitute, but haven’t tired and imagine it’s not quite the same.

I don't like store bought sauce so I always make my own: Maple syrup, Dark rice vinegar, worcesteshire sauce, hoi sin sauce, oyster sauce, ketchup, seasame oil. Bring to a light boil, add apple/pear puree or a jar of baby food to thicken and add that fruitiness.

If you have a kid you can use diffrent flavours of jars/pouch of baby food to see which one works best!

Back