Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Japanese inspired Omelet. Had some stuff I had been using for sushi and thought, hey what if i put this in an omelet and breaded it.

tamago egg mix with wasabi for the base, stir fried mushroom, onion, pineapple, bell pepper, and broccoli, smoked salmon, pickled radish, cucumber, green onion, spicy mayo, and cheese for the filling and finally a panko breading on the outside.

Attachments

• 6DC5A189-21F3-40E4-BC0B-70483605A572.jpeg
    6DC5A189-21F3-40E4-BC0B-70483605A572.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 6A527204-C97B-4B6B-B729-A464FB5D6F19.jpeg
    6A527204-C97B-4B6B-B729-A464FB5D6F19.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 9A66375E-2962-44FF-8645-41E4D0AA8AC8.jpeg
    9A66375E-2962-44FF-8645-41E4D0AA8AC8.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 16
Japanese inspired Omelet. Had some stuff I had been using for sushi and thought, hey what if i put this in an omelet and breaded it.

tamago egg mix with wasabi for the base, stir fried mushroom, onion, pineapple, bell pepper, and broccoli, smoked salmon, pickled radish, cucumber, green onion, spicy mayo, and cheese for the filling and finally a panko breading on the outside.

I like the idea of breading an omelette. Have you considered doing smaller, thinner omelettes, rolling ingredients in it like an egg roll, then dipping them in an egg wash (so panko will stick), breading with panko before deep frying?

I had not considered it. I was just playing around in the kitchen and decided to give breading an omelet a whirl. Cooking the omelet on one side for awhile, adding the breading and then flipping it and adding the inner ingredients worked rather well and certainly gave it a unique texture. It really came out very well

I had not considered it. I was just playing around in the kitchen and decided to give breading an omelet a whirl. Cooking the omelet on one side for awhile, adding the breading and then flipping it and adding the inner ingredients worked rather well and certainly gave it a unique texture. It really came out very well

Love panko's crunch on nearly anything!

I use my domestic oven, cranked to 275C, with a 6mm baking steel. The dough is J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's New York pizza dough recipe with some baking enzymes added. It baked for 9 minutes.

Where'd you get the baking steel? Heard they're better than pizza bricks, ...but weigh a lot.

It is a cloudy dreary day and we decided to have pot roast. I couldn't decide on what to include in the pot roast. I did not find any real hits on this forum. So, this is what I made. It is a lot of cab and beef broth probably half and half.

IMG_0171.jpg

Time to make gravy. I may precook the onions next time and see if I like it better.

IMG_0173.jpg

Last edited:
A really great kid is going through a really tough time and it turns out her favorite food is mac and cheese. So I made her up a couple pans.

Gruyere, sharp white cheddar, Jack, and parm, crumbled bacon and toasted panko. Tossed in a surprise for her dad. :)

959QLZt.jpg

QnlprXb.jpg

Sure hope she likes it.

Like @ptolemy I made Paella.

Note: Paella is one of those dishes that can cause strong reactions in some regarding how to cook it. So, for the sake of full disclosure, I did not actually cook it on a wood fire, it did not contain rabbit, green beens or - I have to admit - snails. I even committed the cardinal sin and put seafood in it (quite a bit, actually) - so have at me... (NB: Paella is actually the name of the typical Valencian steel pan this dish is cooked in - which I did use, so maybe that edges me a bit into the good side again).

paella - 1.jpeg
paella - 2.jpeg
paella - 3.jpeg
paella - 4.jpeg

Last edited:
Like @ptolemy I made Paella.

Note: Paella is one of those dishes that can cause strong reactions in some regarding how to cook it. So, for the sake of full disclosure, I did not actually cook it on a wood fire, it did not contain rabbit, green beens or - I have to admit - snails. I even committed the cardinal sin and put seafood in it (quite a bit, actually) - so have at me... (NB: Paella is actually the name of the typical Valencian steel pan this dish is cooked in - which I did use, so maybe that edges me a bit into the good side again).

View attachment 116146View attachment 116147View attachment 116148View attachment 116149

Both of us are going to the paella hell! :)

Another Sunday fridge sweep lunch.

Had one left over leek and few dill stems from my fish dinner the other night and they weren't going to last much longer. A few creminis that had seen better days. Hmmmm...

I literally had no idea what I was going to do when I started. Carbon steel was on the stove so I started warming it up and cutting up the leek.

Started getting some ideas and reached for the tomato paste but...since I was already preheating the Matfer, no acid and back it went.

Ended up being leeks, mushrooms and chickpeas sauted in a little white wine and butter with garlic, dill, turmeric and cayenne. Pretty tasty and filling and enough left for lunch tomorrow.

zE40kOD.jpg

Last edited:
I do that already sometimes actually. It's a good tip.

I prefer it cooked under the cheese so it doesn't dry out, but some of my family like it fresh on top afterwards. Two different ways, both delicious.

Having a large circular burner like the one you’re using is going to make a world of difference! Also terrific for Asian stir fries.
It was my first time using it and it did very evenly heat that large (50cm, flat area 40.6cm dia) carbon steel pan, something my 3000W induction burner could not do with my large cast iron pan. I want to get a wok next, but after I just bought 40cm and 50cm steel pans, I've kind of run out of room to store it!

Back