Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The simplest breakfast of them all. With homemade sourdough with figs, homemade bacon, and parsley from the garden.
IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

I've been looking fwd to this meal all week. I picked up a whole peeled prime beef tenderloin last week, froze a roast and some petit fillets, and kept a 2lb Chateaubriand roast for today. I seasoned it yesterday and positioned it in my frig to expose it to air and dry the surfaces. It looked almost good enough to eat today pre-cooking. Started early to make espagnole and later a demi, and finally a red wine demi to go with, also roasted cauli and yellow potatoes. I should have thrown a red pepper in there, good thing I had scallions or it would have been a "study in beige."
View attachment 117047
View attachment 117048
View attachment 117049
View attachment 117050
View attachment 117051
View attachment 117052
You shouldn’t be doing this without inviting some friends over for dinner. 😋

After all the talk about clam chowder in the recipe forum, I figured I might as well make some, seeing that I haven't eaten clam chowder in about five years. (It's not something that is popular in Australia.)

I followed Kenji's recipe (using clam juice, not water). The only modification is that, together with the cream, I added a tablespoon of calvados. (Mainly because I didn't have any sherry around. Cognac would work fine, too, no doubt.)

The bacon is homemade (of course ;) ) and, because oyster crackers are absolutely unavailable in Australia, I baked my own.

This turned out absolutely delicious, and much like I remember it from eating it in Boston. The only change I would make for next time is to thicken it ever so slightly (using Xantham gum rather than corn starch).
IMG_4118.jpg

Look, it's all beige! ;)
IMG_4120.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday soup time!
Absolutely love the photo!

There is something about fresh and vibrant ingredients that creates a beauty all of its own. Objectively, there is nothing to see here except a bunch of vegetables. But, somehow, they evoke quite a strong reaction of "this is good", "I like this", and "this is beautiful".

When I was young, I never understood the point of a still life painting. I looked at lots of them, from lots of famous masters. And they left me cold. "Why on earth would someone spend two weeks of their life to paint a bowl of apples?"

Now that I'm much older, I think I get the idea of why those painters chose to paint those pictures.

Last edited:
Absolutely love the photo!

There is something about fresh and vibrant ingredients that creates a beauty all of its own. Objectively, there is nothing to see here except a bunch of vegetables. But, somehow, they evoke quite a strong reaction of "this is good", "I like this", "this is beautiful".

When I was young, I never understood the point of a still life painting. I looked at lots of them, from lots of famous masters. And they left me cold. "Why on earth would someone spend two weeks of their life to paint a bowl of apples?"

Now that I'm much older, I think I get the idea of why those painters chose to paint those pictures.

I agree wholeheartedly. With age, wisdom, I suppose.

Once I did the beginning of the setup - washed and peeled everything, basically - the colors just popped and I figured... yeah, photo. Once it was there, it showed up in Google Photos and it just looked electric. I made my kids and GF wait a couple of extra minutes to post this before we dug into the soup. Ah, well, it was the temperature of Dante's 9th circle at that point anyway.

Sorry, I just have to ask… What's the "Dublin" thing in the top right corner? Vodka or water?

It's water. It's a pint glass from Porterhouse Brewing Company, an Irish brewer which makes some of the beers one of my local pubs uses. It's run by friends, and therefore, I have a LOT of their glasses at my house. The phrase says:
pint glass.jpg

Yes, I would like to know how you made your Demi?

I have been playing with a red wine sauce which I use butter, beef stock, and red wine about 50/50 reduced to a thick sauce.
I have added thyme sometimes with a bay leaf also mushrooms. I was thinking of making a roux then add beef stock and red wine and reducing that next time.
I also was thinking of a green peppercorn version.

Last edited:
I love food from all over the world, but sometimes it's nice to have something familiar and so today I cooked this absolutely classic Danish dish of 'Frikadeller with stewed cabbage and potatoes'.
IMG_1699.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back