Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread can definitely make you plating conscious. :)
Plating is quite a big part of cooking. Things that look attractive tend to taste better as well.

Personally, I find artistic plating quite a challenge. Part of the problem is my lack of artistic skill. But there are pragmatic concerns too.

For one, fancy plating usually works better when the plate is really large. But, for everyday meals, I use everyday plates. (I only own one or two large items that I would still consider plates rather than serving platters.) I'm not going to buy another six or eight large plates just for the sake of being able to spread the food around a bit more. Cupboard space is always at a premium.

Another problem is the time factor. When I cook and want to bring, say, three different things together at the same time to plate them up, I don't want to spend five minutes standing there in order to arrange the food onto three or four plates, only to let it get cold. In a commercial kitchen, there are usually several people involved, so one person can focus pretty much on the plating. Moreover, the arrangement is known in advance and plating means putting the food onto the plate following a known plan, as opposed to me standing there and scratching my head and wondering "how can I put this together so it looks good?"

Finally, in a domestic kitchen, individual pieces of meat or fish rarely have the same size and shape, which adds to the problem. In a restaurant, very often, things are cut to size in advance so they are all the same and there are no surprises when plating; the off-cuts make their way into other dishes. At home, this just isn't feasible (at least not for me).

Plating is quite a big part of cooking. Things that look attractive tend to taste better as well.

Personally, I find artistic plating quite a challenge. Part of the problem is my lack of artistic skill. But there are pragmatic concerns too.

For one, fancy plating usually works better when the plate is really large. But, for everyday meals, I use everyday plates. (I only own one or two large items that I would still consider plates rather than serving platters.) I'm not going to buy another six or eight large plates just for the sake of being able to spread the food around a bit more. Cupboard space is always at a premium.

Another problem is the time factor. When I cook and want to bring, say, three different things together at the same time to plate them up, I don't want to spend five minutes standing there in order to arrange the food onto three or four plates, only to let it get cold. In a commercial kitchen, there are usually several people involved, so one person can focus pretty much on the plating. Moreover, the arrangement is known in advance and plating means putting the food onto the plate following a known plan, as opposed to me standing there and scratching my head and wondering "how can I put this together so it looks good?"

Finally, in a domestic kitchen, individual pieces of meat or fish rarely have the same size and shape, which adds to the problem. In a restaurant, very often, things are cut to size in advance so they are all the same and there are no surprises when plating; the off-cuts make their way into other dishes. At home, this just isn't feasible (at least not for me).

You, @Lars , @DitmasPork and so many others always have great presentation. So many great pictures of so much great food by so many awesome cooks!

And I wholeheartedly agree that presentation can be big factor in the experience. I also agree with everything else you said.

As you've seen, I often post pics of food on paper plates. It's how we're eating whatever at the time. It's reality. But then, there are times when I want to up the game too. I'm not going to pretend I have a masterful eye for it as I don't but I enjoy the pursuit.

But, I still prioritize just showing what I/we are really doing at any given time. It don't have to be pretty all the time. Show us what you're doing and tell us about it!

:)

Last edited:
Plating is obviously a challenge for me. Also, it seems lately we're on a fried rice and shishito peppers kick! Argentine wild caught red shrimp grilled and plated with shishito and fried rice.
0417dnrplt.jpg

Easy peazy! Layer, from bottom to top, starch, vege, meat. Sauce(s) can go on the meat and around. Throw some garnish on it and done.

Easy peazy! Layer, from bottom to top, starch, vege, meat. Sauce(s) can go on the meat and around. Throw some garnish on it and done.
I'd never though about it like this. That has promise, thank you! So far, I've been more of a side-by-side man :)

Last edited:
Prepared this salmon 2 days ago - sea salt, brown sugar, dill and slices of lemon.
I guess @RDalman, @Carl Kotte or another North guy would prep it better, but my excuse is that's my second try.:p
After 12 hours in the fridge there was lots of liquid, which I removed, then washed out the excessive salt and dried the pieces in kitchen napkins...
A half went to the in-laws and the the rest we enjoyed with a glass of Riesling

Attachments

• IMG-55c68f62baf4d2d8a486cb9aed57067e-V.jpg
    IMG-55c68f62baf4d2d8a486cb9aed57067e-V.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-b0d806cd7f82a4507a5e88cc5cb7bef1-V.jpg
    IMG-b0d806cd7f82a4507a5e88cc5cb7bef1-V.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 30
Prepared this salmon 2 days ago - sea salt, brown sugar, dill and slices of lemon.
I guess @RDalman, @Carl Kotte or another North guy would prep it better, but my excuse is that's my second try.:p
After 12 hours in the fridge there was lots of liquid, which I removed, then washed out the excessive salt and dried the pieces in kitchen napkins...
A half went to the in-laws and the the rest we enjoyed with a glass of Riesling
Looks awesome 👌

Yesterday I bought some more organic fresh (harvested at 6AM, same day on the table, of the earliest in the season white asparagus, now in (a for us) totally new style which blew all of us away.

Served with chopped almonds, soy and honey glaze.
Halved lengthwise, toast almonds in the brown butter for a couple of minutes, simmer the asparagus in butter for like 5 minutes, transfer to a baking tray with the cut side up, drizzle the soy/honey glaze (with some Sichuan pepper) and coarse salt, bake for 8-10min at 200"C. Stellar combination!

Served with a Risotto Milanese (Carluccio's recipe, he toasts the saffran briefly) made with Carnaroli rice, and served with some cold smoked ham. First time ever that my Risotto Milanese was great, the success probably was due to finally having found a source for very good saffran..

Dessert consisted of the first strawberries of the year, with crushed (good quality) black pepper drizzled with some aged balsamic vinegar and basil leaves and a glob of lightly whipped organic double cream on the side.

Plating; the usual side by side :oops: , I really need to take a plating course whenever this Covid thing goes away as it somehow seems impossible to find the creativity or attention once cooking is done...

I'd kill for a plate of fresh white asparagus. It's very difficult (read, impossible) to find in Brisbane. What's grown here is almost all green; very rarely, you can find some of the purple variety.

If anyone knows of a fresh white asparagus supplier in or near Brisbane (or some place that will ship quickly from interstate), please let me know!

Plating; the usual side by side :oops: , I really need to take a plating course whenever this Covid thing goes away as it somehow seems impossible to find the creativity or attention once cooking is done...
I'll join you for that course! :)

If there are growers selling green asparagus you might be able to persuade one or some of them to also harvest some white ones, it's the same plant after all!
I count myself lucky to live in an area where they are grown so I get to pick the best one, some growers use a system akin to floor heating to be able to start the season earlier (getting far better prices when scarcity is high).

Back