Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG-6759.JPG

Some mini fruit tarts with orange and mango.

Spaghetti Alla Carrettiera is a Sicilian pasta with a raw tomato and garlic sauce. It's tossed with toasted breadcrumbs. Because of the raw garlic it's slightly pungent. Really nice and simple as it comes together in the time it takes to cook the pasta.
View attachment 125803

I'm Sicilian on my father's side of the family, born and raised in little Italy. I'll have to take a few snaps of some of the dishes I make from time to time. When I was a kid, I ran out of grated cheese, so I used some breadcrumbs I toasted in a pan with olive oil. At the time I didn't even know that was something they did in Sicily. It's a great cheese substitute. I need to find some goods fresh sardines, so I can make some classic Sicilian dishes (that isn't Pasta alla Norma, though I love it). I do make a really nice caponata, but I like to use the purple-white eggplants I grow myself. It's much better then using the big black eggplants you find at the supermarket, though they work too. Your dish looks good, nice job.

Like many of those in the kitchen knife industry I was once a professional chef. One of the restaurants I worked at was the Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay, Sydney. In those days we thought Global knives where pretty cool. 😂

The restaurant was famous for their Snapper Pie. Last year the Boathouse fell victim to the pandemic after more than 30 years in business. 😢

OH NO!

I have been there 3 or 4 times for special occasions. Guess what my favourite dish was?? That snapper pie was killer! The selection of oysters was great. Sad to hear it has closed 😟

... damn....

Glad to see you are keeping the dish alive...

[I believe they are redeveloping that whole area around the fish-market. Maybe when the recovery starts, there will be opportunity for a spiritual successor 🤞]

Finally got around to make pizza on my smoker. I ran the temp up to between 600 and 700 degrees. I used King Aruther 00 flour for the crust. The pizzas cooked for 5 minutes each. After cooking pizzas, I threw some fajita meat on to smoke as the pit cooled down.

I only have 1 pizza stone to cook on. I may get around to buying another pizza stone so I can cook 2 pizzas at the same time. I put the pizza stone on the grate where I cook meat. I then run the temp up high before I add the uncooked pizza to the stone. Then I cook it for 5 minutes. In my pit the fire is in a separate fire box off to the side not under the pizza stone.

I can't match this using my gas oven. I wish I was a better pizza maker.

IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg

Last edited:
made some flatbreads in cast iron on the grill last night, used my go-to 00 pizza dough recipe, made a day in advance to get those nice fermenty flavors. I had never done this before, it worked well.
grilled-flat.jpg

they then got topped with thinly slice roast beef tenderloin and a roasted-garlic/lemon/caper/anchovy mayo, both of which I had made earlier in the day.
flat-bread-snack.jpg

This then got topped with rocket dressed in a really nice EVOO and sliced into wedges, but you'll have to take my word for it, because like a big LOSER I failed to snap a picture of the finished product...

I will leave you with a bonus picture I took earlier, simple beauty
lemons.jpg

I made rice paper rolls again. They turned out much better this time. The first time I soaked the rice papers in warm water until they were soft. This is apparently unnecessary and will make them hard to work with. Today I soaked them very briefly in cold water and they quickly became workable and much easier to roll.
Fun to make and delicious with the peanut dipping sauce.
IMG_2029.jpg

Jewish Braised Brisket.

love this stuff. much better as a leftover. that's a barely sweetened GrapeFruit-Aid. super refreshing and the tartness cut the rich meat dish. my broccoli was on a separate plate since I didn't know how to position a pile of green stuff.

oyvey.jpg

Even though I took my wife out for a very nice dinner a couple of nights ago for Mother’s Day, I know who puts up with my crap and has for 42 years, so here’s the prep work going in for her Mother’s Day dinner that she’s not expecting
Instead of a salad we’re going to have fresh ripe watermelon, zucchini is the star of the vegetables, and a nice prime New York strip And of course some pastry I thought looked nice in the store LOL
And here’s the finished product, didn’t feel the play, but filled our stomachs thanks for watching LOL
EC8B1740-AB88-4231-B482-B9760E08E3B6.jpeg
CC9DEB23-28BF-4E64-A8D9-36226C85B4B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Back