Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kinda hot out, but that didn't stop me from making oxtail stew!
20210608_212305_001.jpg

I have been maxed out on busy season stuff. But the garden has fresh herbs and plenty of asparagus.

It's been insanely hot for this part of MN. It gets cool enough to sleep about 2 hours before dawn, if then. Screw heating things up indoors more than the bare minimum.

Walmart, the store of my love/hate relationship this past 1.5 years has some cheap(ish) & sort of edible frozen cheese & onion pierogies. And I have stuff to spark them into being a bit more than just edible.

First, the frozen pierogies are fried in butter, olive oil & grape seed oil for about 8 minutes. Then, turned and the rest of the ingredients layered over them for another 8 minutes-

Home made canadian bacon, home grown purple asparagus, shallots, broccoli, fresh herbs (thyme, greek & Italian oregano, Italian parsley), preserved lemons, white wine, fresh ground black pepper & sea salt.

Then it is tossed with either sour cream OR low fat greek yogurt, some additional fresh ground black pepper and DEVOURED. Beats the hell out of fast food, takes less time than ordering out. You'll probbly want a light salad of some type along side to ballance it, unless you're so tire you just don't care about anything but "summer comfort food, RIGHT NOW!".

I've played with different veggies, adding portobello mushroom slices, different wines/vinegars/herbs/Allepo pepper or other red peppers, adding shredded cheeses.

IT ALL WORKS.

Try it, it's forgiving and filling.

20210608_234753.jpg

20210608_235014.jpg

20210609_000010.jpg

Last edited:
I have been maxed out on busy season stuff. But the garden has fresh herbs and plenty of asparagus.

It's been insanely hot for this part of MN. It gets cool enough to sleep about 2 hours before dawn, if then. Screw heating things up indoors more than the bare minimum.

Walmart, the store of my love/hate relationship this past 1.5 years has some cheap(ish) & sort of edible frozen cheese & onion pierogies. And I have stuff to spark them into being a bit more than just edible.

First, the frozen pierogies are fried in butter, olive oil & grape seed oil for about 8 minutes. Then, turned and the rest of the ingredients layered over them for another 8 minutes-

Home made canadian bacon, home grown purple asparagus, shallots, broccoli, fresh herbs (thyme, greek & Italian oregano, Italian parsley), preserved lemons, white wine, fresh ground black pepper & sea salt.

Then it is tossed with either sour cream OR low fat greek yogurt, some additional fresh ground black pepper and DEVOURED. Beats the hell out of fast food, takes less time than ordering out. You'll probbly want a light salad of some type along side to ballance it, unless you're so tire you just don't care about anything but "summer comfort food, RIGHT NOW!".

I've played with different veggies, adding portobello mushroom slices, different wines/vinegars/herbs/Allepo pepper or other red peppers, adding shredded cheeses.

IT ALL WORKS.

Try it, it's forgiving and filling.

View attachment 130514

View attachment 130515

View attachment 130516

That's the first North Arm I've seen in the wild. You like it?

My new fishmonger is selling Portuguese canned seafood from Jose Gourmet and I picked up a can of sardines to try them out. Made bruschetta with tomato, goats cheese, pickled red onion and (obviously) sardines. Really something else compared to the kippers I buy at the supermarket..!
IMG_2238.jpg

My new fishmonger is selling Portuguese canned seafood from Jose Gourmet and I picked up a can of sardines to try them out. Made bruschetta with tomato, goats cheese, pickled red onion and (obviously) sardines. Really something else compared to the kippers I buy at the supermarket..!
View attachment 130540
beautiful, just can’t get myself to eat sardines.

Last edited:
What wifey wanted for lunch…
View attachment 130584
Smoked salmon scramble with latkes & creme fraiche and a previously parbaked baguette…

We had today smoked salmon on a bagel half with capers, purple onion, cream cheese. The other half bagel was cream cheese with fresh garden tomato slices, with a little salt. So we were close to having the same idea.

Lemon risotto with fennel and courgette/squash/zucchini.
View attachment 130442

Can you give me a recipe? Is the green topping fennel and flat parsley?

I have so much fresh garden squash right now I need some fresh ideas as I am getting tired of eating squash. I know in a couple of months I will miss it.

Can you give me a recipe? Is the green topping fennel and flat parsley?

I have so much fresh garden squash right now I need some fresh ideas as I am getting tired of eating squash. I know in a couple of months I will miss it.
The green topping is dill, cress and parsley.
Start by sweating off some shallot, then add the rice and cook until they become slightly nutty without coloring the onion. Throw in the squash(and diced fennel bulb if using). Pour in some white wine and cook it dry, then add ladles of stock and stir until the rice has the texture you like. Kill the heat and add grated lemon zest, lemon juice, grated parmigiano,salt and pepper. Leave to rest with a lid on for a minute and serve.

On any kind of recipes where I process a bunch of minced meat I just measure out the total amount of salt in weight. At least it takes the guesswork out of it. Recipes are all over the place, and volumetric measurement of salt is a crapshow.

Napolitan Pasta aka Japanese Ketchup Pasta lolol.

Bigoli made from scratch as always, sauteed kurobuta sausage, onion, bell peppers, maitake mushrooms, spinach and garnished with chifforand shiso from my friends garden. Ketchup sauce made with chili garlic and soy sauce.

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_201602_963.jpg
    IMG_20210608_201602_963.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210610_232504.jpg
    20210610_232504.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 10
Back