Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the quality of the stove really matters a lot when it comes to cookware. The better your stove, the easier you can get away with junkier cookware, and vice versa.

I tried making this last summer but my pizza game was way off so it was kind of meh. Since then I have learned how to make a pretty decent pizza and this time it came out really nice; Pizza With Zucchini, Feta, Lemon, and Garlic.
IMG_2290.jpg

That looks great. I've been craving pork chops for a few days now, this might push me to actually make some.
Lars got the better of me, I am currently thawing a dry aged skin-on pork loin roast, same as the ones I made on the rotisserie. Will slice into thick chops later today and pan fry.

Lars got the better of me, I am currently thawing a dry aged skin-on pork loin roast, same as the ones I made on the rotisserie. Will slice into thick chops later today and pan fry.
I'm flattered. Hope they come out great.

Traded some old begian trapist beer from westvleteren for some charcuterie from the spanish home village of a chef in a tapas restaurant. As always with a little help from my small Raquin that fits nice on the charcuterie board. Also enjoying some run of the mill pizza with anything but run of the mill ham...

EC75BA36-27E7-4159-8427-1DB83DD78FB1.jpeg

1C81A9AF-BFF0-4B37-8F58-CD126AFE8B1B.jpeg

I'm flattered. Hope they come out great.
They were fantastic. Unfortunately they did curl a little bit so I didn't get them as browned as I would like on the total surface, but the flavor and tenderness of this dry aged pork made me forget all about it. Made a little Dijon creme fraiche pan sauce and dripped on top with the resting juices.

I think next time, I will try to fry them upright on the skin first to render more of the fat underneath and maybe get some bubbly crackling on it.
IMG_20210619_185026.jpg
IMG_20210619_192506.jpg
IMG_20210619_193808.jpg

They were fantastic. Unfortunately they did curl a little bit so I didn't get them as browned as I would like on the total surface, but the flavor and tenderness of this dry aged pork made me forget all about it. Made a little Dijon creme fraiche pan sauce and dripped on top with the resting juices.

I think next time, I will try to fry them upright on the skin first to render more of the fat underneath and maybe get some bubbly crackling on it.
Is that the dry aged pork from mrbeef.dk? Looks great..!

Traded some old begian trapist beer from westvleteren for some charcuterie from the spanish home village of a chef in a tapas restaurant. As always with a little help from my small Raquin that fits nice on the charcuterie board. Also enjoying some run of the mill pizza with anything but run of the mill ham...

View attachment 131808

View attachment 131806
I just hope everyone tries Westvleteren at least once in a lifetime! Still, a good trade!

Was halfway through making a carbonara when I thought to try adding fresh chopped dill and tarragon at the end. Turns out it's delicious. Blends very well with the egg yolk sauce and cured pork. Maybe it can't be considered carbonara if they are added, but I'm not too bothered about that.
IMG-20210608-WA0003.jpeg
IMG-20210608-WA0005.jpeg
IMG-20210608-WA0001.jpeg
IMG_20210608_201120.jpg

They were fantastic. Unfortunately they did curl a little bit so I didn't get them as browned as I would like on the total surface.
That dry aged pork looks fantastic! We can source really good pork, but I've not seen dry aged. I will look harder...

Try making tiny slices in the fat around the perimeter of the chops to prevent them from curling.
That's a tonkatsu tip that might work.

Pizza, somehow that newfashioned Caputo Nuviola flour does not work for me, it turned out that I only had that left...no proper lift, hard to work, little air, no leoparding...

second pic is my favorite, some olives, capers and anchovy

Attachments

• 20210620_191932.jpg
    20210620_191932.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210620_194545.jpg
    20210620_194545.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
On Tuesday I cooked my first supper party since the covid lockdown in March 2020.

One of the dishes was Korean Style Bavette Steak.

Bavette steak marinated overnight in apple, onion, garlic, scallion, sesame oil, shoyu, sake, sugar, gochugaru, black pepper.

270 Yoshikazu Tanaka suji; 225 Raquin gyuto.

Bavette (flank steak) is one of my fave cuts.

View attachment 131655
View attachment 131656
View attachment 131657
View attachment 131658
View attachment 131659
You're my hero.

View attachment 131808

View attachment 131806
I hear Spanish ham is the best in the world. I grew up eating prosciutto, but I had a little Spanish ham a year ago and it was really nice, very similar to the proscute, but slightly better. They have some pretty expensive ham in Spain, some upwards of $200 per pound, I bet it tastes awesome.

I hear Spanish ham is the best in the world. I grew up eating prosciutto, but I had a little Spanish ham a year ago and it was really nice, very similar to the proscute, but slightly better. They have some pretty expensive ham in Spain, some upwards of $200 per pound, I bet it tastes awesome.
Personally, i think they're quite different in taste. I really like both. I associate sweeter, lighter tastes with prosciutto, and saltier, more umami tastes with Jamon iberico.
But I need to try a lot more in order to get a better informed opinion. Ha.

I would really like to try a chinese jinhua ham.

Last edited:
Personally, i think they're quite different in taste. I really like both. I associate sweeter, lighter tastes with prosciutto, and saltier, more umami tastes with Jamin iberico.
But I need to try a lot more in order to get a better informed opinion. Ha.

I would really like to try a chinese jinhua ham.
Well, there are many types, the one I had was very similar to the Parma, but had a unique flavor that separated it from the Parma at the same time. Like you, I'd need to try a lot more to have a more informed opinion. I wish I remembered the name of it, I believe it was a pretty common Spanish ham. Have you ever had the San Daniele prosciutto? A nice proscute, but I prefer the Parma personally. The Daniele didn't have that unique Parma flavor. They say it has something to do with the air in the region while the ham is curing/drying. I'd like to make my own one of these days.

That dry aged pork looks fantastic! We can source really good pork, but I've not seen dry aged. I will look harder...

Try making tiny slices in the fat around the perimeter of the chops to prevent them from curling.
That's a tonkatsu tip that might work.
snipping the fat works for me, with pork chops or entre cote,

Thanks, will try. I do that with osso buco, should have thought of it for these. And yes, definitely worth trying to source some dry aged pork. I'm loving it.

Dude, carbonara with rigatoni? I love you Lars! That looks awesome.

Thank you, try adding some dill and tarragon next time you make carbonara, I'm sure you'll like it. I always make it with a tube pasta so the little pieces of cured pork get inside for a perfect bite. I carbonara to be too dense and heavy when made with spaghetti, and I've always been told you are what you eat.

Also, not all people from Denmark are named Lars, just most of them.

There are some regions that make Jamón Ibérico I believe - this one is from a producer in Extremadura in the central/western part of Spain. Haven’t tried that many sorts, so I can’t speak generally about it. The really fun part here is that in my little town in northern part of Sweden, artisanal spanish charcuterie producers is not something you just stumble over. This is from the chef’s brother’s friend in her home village. Super nice products, with a quite different taste profile compared to both Parma ham and other charcuteries. Both good, but as I said, different profiles. And to know that this really is something she stands by gives the restaurant something extra. Love it.

Back