Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friend, I've been kicked, punched, shot at, missile attacked, raised two kids, have over thirty years of marriage, and a whole more stuff that isn't for the feint of heart but nothing gives me anxiety like cooking for other people and a full, complex menu for 20??? I honestly started getting anxiety just reading your post!

Tremendous accomplishment in my eyes and not something I would have the skills or confidence to attempt.

Cheers! Appreciate the supportive words.

I'm sure you'd be able to cook up a meal for 20! Just takes a willingness to get organized on the backend, putting in the work on the front end, being able to multi-task, and knowing one's limitations. Yeah, it's an ambitious menu, but each alone not technically difficult—all are home style dishes.

There's the sports cliche athletes recite when interviewed, "...I just take one game at a time." Cooking this up was similarly doing one dish at a time. Hardest part was finding figuring out the menu—and being flexible enough to change things up based on what’s at the market. The sale on thin cut pork chops sealed the deal for making Vietnamese pork chops!

Geez, "...kicked, punched, shot at, missile attacked...", you must've either been a cop, soldier, gangster, or live in a dodgy neighborhood.

Those look so good, what did you do?

actually everything looked great, nice work!

Cheers! Boned out 16 thin pork chops; marinated them for a few hours with fish sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic, scallions, oil; skillet fried them about 3–4 minutes a side (cooks quicker of the bone); rested; sliced; garnished with scallions, coriander leaves.

Leftover
20210919_185301.jpg
20210919_185106.jpg
mashed potatoes and gravy with a fresh chicken breast and mushrooms

my housemate at one time was a bartender, he said to make and extra dry martini, just pour the chilled gin into the glass that is standing next to a bottle of vermouth.

Hahahahahahah. I enjoy gin on the rocks; but also want to taste the vermouth in my martini.

BTW, a few months ago I made a makeshift aioli—combining kewpie mayo, pulverized garlic and saffron. Loved the MSG kick from kewpie.

Hahahahahahah. I enjoy gin on the rocks; but also want to taste the vermouth in my martini.

BTW, a few months ago I made a makeshift aioli—combining kewpie mayo, pulverized garlic and saffron. Loved the MSG kick from kewpie.
at any given time there is usually a couple 'compound mayos' in my fridge. Whenever I bust open a can of chipotle peppers packed in adobo, I make a batch of spicy mayo which I use for a ton of things, including mashing some of it with an avacado for a nice spread for BLTs. When I make a quick meal of some bratwusrts my 11 year old will complain if I don't have any curry mayo prepared (hydrate a couple Tbsps of curry powder in a bit of lemon or lime juice, then mix in some mayo).

at any given time there is usually a couple 'compound mayos' in my fridge. Whenever I bust open a can of chipotle peppers packed in adobo, I make a batch of spicy mayo which I use for a ton of things, including mashing some of it with an avacado for a nice spread for BLTs. When I make a quick meal of some bratwusrts my 11 year old will complain if I don't have any curry mayo prepared (hydrate a couple Tbsps of curry powder in a bit of lemon or lime juice, then mix in some mayo).
Awesome. Which mayo brands you stash? I’ll typically have both Hellman’s and Kewpie handy.

This is another one from my new favorite Rick Bayless, thanks @HumbleHomeCook for pointing me in that direction. Skillet shrimp tacos with adobo verde.
Caramelize some onion in olive oil over low heat, then add shrimp and increase the heat. When the shrimp is barely cooked add adobo verde and toss.
Serve on corn tortillas with crumbly cheese. I added a few arugula leafs and habanero hot sauce as well. Seriously yummy.
IMG_2757.jpg

This is another one from my new favorite Rick Bayless, thanks @HumbleHomeCook for pointing me in that direction. Skillet shrimp tacos with adobo verde.
Caramelize some onion in olive oil over low heat, then add shrimp and increase the heat. When the shrimp is barely cooked add adobo verde and toss.
Serve on corn tortillas with crumbly cheese. I added a few arugula leafs and habanero hot sauce as well. Seriously yummy.
View attachment 143407

Do you make your adobo verde? What in it? I googled it and it looks easy. It looks like garlic, serrano peppers, cilantro, parsely, olive oil and salt.

Verde it different in Texas vs New Mexico. Verde in Texas has tomatillos whereas in New Mexico they use green hatch chilis.

Do you make your adobo verde? What in it? I googled it and it looks easy. It looks like garlic, serrano peppers, cilantro, parsely, olive oil and salt.

Verde it different in Texas vs New Mexico. Verde in Texas has tomatillos whereas in New Mexico they use green hatch chilis.
Yes, i followed this recipe. Really simple. The ingredients are exactly as you wrote..

Latest posts

Back