Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a Korean guy that ran a restaurant here for a number of years that made the best Korean short ribs. They were great.

We had a Korean guy that ran a restaurant here for a number of years that made the best Korean short ribs. They were great.
i kid you not. i have my Kalbi recipe saved as a photo on my phone. it is that important to me, and it comes in handy if i am at the store and think to myself, "mmmm...kalbi!!" and need to gather ingredients.

To be honest... I had to read that twice... I thought "what the **** is this new fad?? Eating only breakfast food now?"... then I googled it.... obviously intermittent fasting... then I read the rest of your paragraph and it was pretty clear 🤦‍♂️

😂
Yup. My wife and I went out to dinner with some very pleasant new neighbors, and the man ordered a full meal, but to our surprise didn’t eat it, rather took it “to go.” He was planning to consume the whole lot the next morning. Apparently, he had lost 30 kg by eating huge savory breakfasts and skipping dinner. His wife did eat some food as she didn’t need to lose weight. Anyway, we later indulged them with the big breakfast above, which they greatly appreciated.

here is tonight. I had to take a snap shot because it is RAINING.. hooray! we needed rain badly. I barely got my wok burner out of the rain!!

it is bitter melon stir fried with ground pork in a black bean garlic sauce. standard Cantonese flavor.

bitter melon.jpg

Yup. My wife and I went out to dinner with some very pleasant new neighbors, and the man ordered a full meal, but to our surprise didn’t eat it, rather took it “to go.” He was planning to consume the whole lot the next morning. Apparently, he had lost 30 kg by eating huge savory breakfasts and skipping dinner. His wife did eat some food as she didn’t need to lose weight. Anyway, we later indulged them with the big breakfast above, which they greatly appreciated.

Dude, I eat all my meals and snack in between and I would greatly appreciate that breakfast!

here is tonight. I had to take a snap shot because it is RAINING.. hooray! we needed rain badly. I barely got my wok burner out of the rain!!

it is bitter melon stir fried with ground pork in a black bean garlic sauce. standard Cantonese flavor.

View attachment 144666
Awesome. I'd devour that. Bitter melon is one of my fave ingredients—cook it up at least a couple times a month!

Never heard of "Shrimp Louis salad" until @parbaked posted a handsome looking dinner spread with it and a chowder(and bread too).
Had a google and found out it's a shrimp salad with a mayo based dressing. Found a few recipes and decided to make a greedy version for dinner.
Romaine, cucumber, avocado, tomato, egg, shrimp and a dressing of mayo, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, dijon, tabasco, creme fraiche and lemon juice.
IMG_2796.jpg

Never heard of "Shrimp Louis salad" until @parbaked posted a handsome looking dinner spread with it and a chowder(and bread too).
Had a google and found out it's a shrimp salad with a mayo based dressing. Found a few recipes and decided to make a greedy version for dinner.
Romaine, cucumber, avocado, tomato, egg, shrimp and a dressing of mayo, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, dijon, tabasco, creme fraiche and lemon juice.
View attachment 144790

one of my favorite salads..mostly because they charge more money for the CRAB louie salad. hahah

I like to cook Texas Red fish like that. It comes out great. But I like tuna better. Nice piece of fish.

How do you get Mesquite wood in Hawaii? Thats a Texas wood.

I like to cook Texas Red fish like that. It comes out great. But I like tuna better. Nice piece of fish.

How do you get Mesquite wood in Hawaii? Thats a Texas wood.

Bought a sack of mesquite lump charcoal at Safeway. Here it’s popular at use local kiawe wood, but I couldn’t find any. This was a giant step up from the cheap charcoal briquettes my mom uses—which luckily she’d ran out of.
Delighted with this—it’s difficult to find (I’ve never seen it) tuna belly for sale in mainland fish markets, where the demand is for loins.

Last edited:
What’s the sauce beneath the mash? Whole dish looks wonderful.
Thanks, I honestly don't know what to call it, so I'll just give you the recipe. I got it from Rick Stein.

Make an olive oil mayo, just a straight up mayo with olive oil.
Fry carrot, onion, orange peel and red chili for 5 minutes. Add chopped tomato, orange juice, white wine, fish stock and cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper.
Strain the sauce. Add the mayo to a pan and slowly stir in the sauce. Cook on a low heat until it thickens just enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Last edited:
Thanks, I honestly don't know what to call it, so I'll just give you the recipe. I got it from Rick Stein.

Make an olive oil mayo, just a straight up mayo with olive oil.
Fry carrot, onion, orange peel and red chili for 5 minutes. Add chopped tomato, white wine, fish stock and cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper.
Strain the sauce. Add the mayo to a pan and slowly stir in the sauce. Cook on a low heat until it thickens just enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Cheers! I like Rick Stein's recipes, I have one of his books.

In the states it’s often called whiting—delicious, underrated, economical, sustainable. Sadly, sometimes suffers from a reputation as ‘poor people’s food.’

View attachment 145083

I have caught and eaten whitings coast fishing. I thought it was good. They looked a little different than the picture and were not real big.

Last night's casual family supper for five people.
• Mesquite Grilled Ahi Belly
• Manila Clams with Basil and Wine
• Grilled Andouille Sausage
• Charred Bok Choi
• Local Starfruit Salsa with Backyard Scallion, Hawaiian Chili Pepper Water
• Broken Rice
• Fruit Platter
• Tossed Salad

4D01D067-80D7-4A17-BFDF-607DCC24A249.jpg

5D566CDF-440E-4D7B-AB25-052048809364.jpg

65D0A3E3-5AE1-44F0-A723-C5F1281D2D04.jpg

7E38ECF4-A879-4F66-BDA7-8FB8A8A6F375.jpg

46B7C0D8-DDEA-4EC4-92FC-EFE25556EAEC.JPG

Last edited:
Hard act to follow but I was at a Wine dinner last week and they made some wonderful mashed potatoes. So, I had to make mashed potatoes. I ended up putting bolognaise sauce on I made a while back. I like potatoes and tomatoes together.

IMG_0511.jpg

Last edited:
Last night's casual family supper for five people.
• Mesquite Grilled Ahi Belly
• Manila Clams with Basil and Wine
• Grilled Andouille Sausage
• Charred Bok Choi
• Local Starfruit Salsa with Backyard Scallion, Hawaiian Chili Pepper Water
• Broken Rice
• Fruit Platter
• Tossed Salad

View attachment 145095
View attachment 145096
View attachment 145097
View attachment 145098
View attachment 145099
Your family must be damned thrilled when you visit!

Back