Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got around to trying my hand at fried rice. Besides needing to work on my wok seasoning, I think it came out pretty good for a first try. House Special Fried Rice ala Boca,, the missus gives it 2 chopsticks up!

IMG_7105.jpg

The $8 a pound ahi from market a good excuse for a supper party at my parent’s.

Chuffed to have pulled everything together in about 2 hours—none of the dishes requiring long cooking, just a lot of cutting. OUL ginsan gyuto, Yanick sujihiki, Shihan petty.

Impromptu Island Feast Menu:
* Ahi Sashimi Platter + Shoyu Hot Mustard Dip
* Sir Fried Gai Choi (Mustard Cabbage) with Garlic, Olive Oil
* Hawaiian Style Chicken Curry (leftover
* Okowa: Glutinous Rice Steamed with Salted Salmon (bought from vendor)
* Okowa: Glutinous Rice Steamed with Fermented Mustard Leaves, Perilla Leaves (bought from vendor)
* Two Flavor Fried Chicken Wings (takeout, brother’s contribution)
* Japonica Rice (not shown)
* Salad with Local Tomato, Cucumber, Sweet Onion
* Fruit Plate (mom made this one)

3D50B948-C452-4821-B3EC-229C9D2E56EA.jpeg

00D33B25-36CA-4BC7-BD12-972394D741DC.jpeg

2ACE4B2A-02FA-4BE6-90C5-41D93A718C30.jpeg

2455CDD5-0B2C-4DA1-AF07-9310B0A8917D.jpeg

08AB42D4-94DD-45F5-BEB8-49DDE17E777B.jpeg

Yum! Love canned sardines. Read an article about these canned sardine connoisseurs in Europe, savoring vintage, decades old cans of the stuff.
They carry a lot of youthful nostalgia for me. Whenever I whitewater canoed and fished with my dad, my choices for lunch was either Vienna sausages on saltines or sardines packed in mustard on saltines. I loved both!

They carry a lot of youthful nostalgia for me. Whenever I whitewater canoed and fished with my dad, my choices for lunch was either Vienna sausages on saltines or sardines packed in mustard on saltines. I loved both!

Nostalgic for me too. You'd fit right in in Hawaii—where canned meats like SPAM, sardines, Vienna sausages, corned beef are near the summit of the food pyramid.

Some stores in rough neighborhoods have SPAM and corned beef behind lock and key—easy to shoplift, beloved food product. Difficult to nick a tuna.

The $8 a pound ahi from market a good excuse for a supper party at my parent’s.

Chuffed to have pulled everything together in about 2 hours—none of the dishes requiring long cooking, just a lot of cutting. OUL ginsan gyuto, Yanick sujihiki, Shihan petty.

Impromptu Island Feast Menu:
* Ahi Sashimi Platter + Shoyu Hot Mustard Dip
* Sir Fried Gai Choi (Mustard Cabbage) with Garlic, Olive Oil
* Hawaiian Style Chicken Curry (leftover
* Okowa: Glutinous Rice Steamed with Salted Salmon (bought from vendor)
* Okowa: Glutinous Rice Steamed with Fermented Mustard Leaves, Perilla Leaves (bought from vendor)
* Two Flavor Fried Chicken Wings (takeout, brother’s contribution)
* Japonica Rice (not shown)
* Salad with Local Tomato, Cucumber, Sweet Onion
* Fruit Plate (mom made this one)

View attachment 146970
View attachment 146971
View attachment 146972
View attachment 146973
View attachment 146974
setup looks great, food looks amazing...
where's the party?

Yum! Love canned sardines. Read an article about these canned sardine connoisseurs in Europe, savoring vintage, decades old cans of the stuff.
right, there are even some restaurants here and there that specialized on this product. search for "sol e pesca" in lisbon or "sardinen bar" in berlin.
i usually bring myself some vintage (and normal) sardine cans when going to lisbon.

I finally found leeks at Whole Foods. Leeks are hard to find for me. When my wife and I arrived for shopping, they had sold out of leeks but the truck was here and the young grocer said the leeks were on the truck we just needed to wait.

Lars, I really like your recipe for leek and potato soup. It is not loaded with milk or cream. And the big deal is it tastes great. The white stuff is Mexican style sour cream with chives. I used a French Chardonnay. we drank the rest with the soup. It was great.

I also am making beef stock which this recipe calls for a leek also. I am still cooking the stock. It looks good to me.
From Boxed to Delicious Beef Stock | Chef Jean-Pierre - YouTube

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know how hard it is to find octopus in the boondocks of Minnesota?!

Gave in and used canned, used canned crab meat too. All the rest of the ingredients are fresh. Then I read the container, discovered although front says "octopus in marinara" I'm actually using HUMBOLDT SQUID?!

It's still pretty darn good.

https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/seafood-cocktail/
20211014_233043.jpg

Last edited:
Back