Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@RDalman it has the appearance of pig foreskin in something..good that you added a video showing the ingredients;)
The Germans have something similar, called "Eisbein". It's a pork knuckle that has been cured with curing salts and also boiled with root vegetables. (Essentially the same as corned beef, but made with pork.) The dish is quite similar, but I have not eaten this with swedes as the main ingredient for the mash. Will give this a go once winter comes around again!

Had the lads over last week for some steaks.
Got a good deal on some Danish Cote de boeuf, each roughly 800g, free range, grass fed, organic, and 21 day dry aged.
IMG_20211008_152331.jpg
IMG_20211008_152322.jpg
IMG_20211008_152303.jpg

I like this and I have a lot of pork chops in the freezer that need to be cooked. I would like to try it. Can I have the basic recipe?
Sure, it's more of a method really. Never measure anything when I make it.

Brown the pork chops on high heat, pan almost as hot as if you are searing steak. Once browned well but not yet fully cooked through, take them off to a tray.

If there is a lot of oil in the pan, pour off most of it. Reduce heat to medium low and add a large spoonful dijon mustard and some cracked whole cloves of garlic. Fry the mustard in the remaining hot fat for 30 seconds or so. Deglaze the pan with a large splash of cognac. You can flambé if you want. Once it's reduced 80% you can pour in heavy cream and add some sprigs of thyme. I don't like too much cream as pork chops are pretty rich already, so just to taste or for however much sauce you want. Very important is to add the juices from the resting pork tray to the sauce. Add pork chops back to the pan and let them steep on low heat in sauce until cooked through.

Lots of opportunities to make changes, swap the thyme for sage or rosemary, djion for whole grain mustard, cognac for bourbon/cider, add capers or green peppercorns, replace cream with creme fraiche. I rarely make it the exact same way twice. Sometimes I like to season to taste with Worcestershire sauce instead of salt. Sometimes I'll add a very small splash of fresh cognac to the sauce right before serving.

Your dishes look so simply but they are not. I would have a hard time cooking French fries at home and then you add bearnaise sauce on top of that. Nicely done.
That's very kind, thanks. I'm flattered.

I made chicken with mushroom sauce. I pulled some tomatoes for our fall garden so we are having fried green tomatoes. I used Pinot red wine left over and a fig balsamic vinegar in the sauce. It tastes good to me.

I used Chef- Jean Pierre mushroom sauce on you-tube.

IMG_0542.jpg

Last edited:
Hawaiian ahi sashimi platter for last night's family supper. One of the vendors at farmers' market sells very fresh ahi for $8–10 a pound, crazy cheap compared to $26 a pound at the supermarket. Here's 2 lbs—managed to get it all on one plater. Eaten with shoyu and hot mustard.

F7B78D4C-F856-4B7C-B664-04D0A2124F98.jpg

4B3E098D-C65C-459C-B4E0-B14BBD4280ED.jpg

1CFD97A2-01FF-4EE0-807E-76778934CE90.jpg

Hawaiian ahi sashimi platter for last night's family supper. One of the vendors at farmers' market sells very fresh ahi for $8–10 a pound, crazy cheap compared to $26 a pound at the supermarket. Here's 2 lbs—managed to get it all on one plater. Eaten with shoyu and hot mustard.
okay..i am a bit pissed i didnt get an invite. that looks AWESOME

Back