Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One for team beige. Fresh bigoli cacio e pepe e Yuzu e shiso. I really like making bigoli. Becuase of its thickness I can make it quicker without having to roll it out so many times. Made it 2 hrs before work and still had to get ready after too.

Attachments

• 20211022_152350.jpg
    20211022_152350.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211022_150617.jpg
    20211022_150617.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 13
Still recovering from long covid. Managed to survive the flight and after a couple of days of recovery I am having a simple luncheon on the balcony (Spain).
The view definitely beats the ceiling of my living room, hurray

(My wife came home with Hornazo De Salamanca. Seriously nice)

Lazy days for the travel set
Looks like you found a great relaxing place to recover. I'm impressed that you brought your knives. Feel better soon, and buen provecho.

Still recovering from long covid. Managed to survive the flight and after a couple of days of recovery I am having a simple luncheon on the balcony (Spain).
The view definitely beats the ceiling of my living room, hurray

(My wife came home with Hornazo De Salamanca. Seriously nice)

Lazy days for the travel set

Very sorry to hear of the long covid symptoms. I have a close friend and coworkers who's been struggling for a while, I know it is very difficult. I sincerely hope that the medical community gets a handle on long covid soon. Seems like such a confusing illness...

In the meantime, i hope you are enjoying the relaxation and delcious food in España 😁 Take care amigo!!

I'm planning triple cooked fries for tomorrow....the organic kidney fat arrived, and taters are secured....(Nicola, finding the variety you want in a country that grows about anything is harder than anywhere else...)

I'm planning triple cooked fries for tomorrow....the organic kidney fat arrived, and taters are secured....(Nicola, finding the variety you want in a country that grows about anything is harder than anywhere else...)
Wait you actually want Nicola? I thought you were a Charlotte man like me? :D

These days I mostly go to Hanos/Sligro for potatoes; they always have charlotte. Alternatively the 'Gourmandine' sold at AH are usually either Charlotte or Gourmandine (which is a cross of Charlotte and something else; in practise I can't really distinguish them).

yeah I know....could not find anything more decent than this...for Hanos it was already too late...and i hate Sligro...so no want but a best effort so far...I WANT charlotte...I may go check the Ah near me tomorrow though!

Last edited:
Ah now I understand. Texture wise Nicola is fine, so for experiments its not a big deal, it's just flavor that's lacking... It's the waxier version of Bintjes to me. :D

The Gourmandines are slightly less desirable to the Charlotte from the wholesaler to me, but that's mostly because of the packaging. AH packages them in plastic so they're a bit wet, whereas the Charlotte comes in a net, so they're nice and dry. But beyond that they're the closest thing to it and at least a step up from bland Nicola or whatever is else sold as random waxy potatoes.

If you do a pre-boil in water, consider salting the water like pasta water; It's a great way to season the potatoes properly that IMO tastes better than just dunking some salt on top at the end.

yep....I know and agree!

salt water it is, n point sprinking salt on top after cooking!

all of this just tells me that preparation is key...and that supermarkets really suck

yep....I know and agree!

salt water it is, n point sprinking salt on top after cooking!

all of this just tells me that preparation is key...and that supermarkets really suck

Try my local supermarkets - my choices are yellow flesh, white and baking/russet. You want a certain type? Good luck....

Yeah I buy less and less fresh produce at supermarkets. The quality just isn't there. I already got vegetarian promotions years ago because I stopped buying their garbage excuse for meat. These days pretty much all my meat comes from wholesalers, while my AGF is divided between the market and wholesalers. Way better quality for usually a better price too.
The charlottes hold reasonably well for me in the fridge; at least a few weeks to a month. At some point you have to cut a few gnarly parts off but in general they hold surprisingly well in those net bags. I've been told keeping them in the fridge is heresy and supposedly it sweetens them over time but I can't say I ever noticed a big difference or any change I'd describe as negative.

Try my local supermarkets - my choices are yellow flesh, white and baking/russet. You want a certain type? Good luck....
Pretty much the exact same thing here in the Netherlands. You can choose between starchy, waxy, sweet potatoes and sometimes red (usually roseval; which is IMO rather overrated). Only in some stores you're lucky enough to find a few fancier potatoes, but you really have to go out of your way to look for it.
When we're talking about Hanos/Sligro that's restaurant wholesalers; not a normal supermarket. I had to officially sign in a 'cooking club' in the chamber of commerce just to be able to apply for a card to shop there. :D
It's really a shame, because as a kid I always thought potatoes were just... bland and boring. Turns out they don't have to be when the potatoes don't suck.

I am getting to the point where I am about to go hunt for anything...still hoping to find a store that ia capable of delivering quality stuff at a premiu but I have lost faith in it....perhaps something worth considering as startup?

So I have a 'contract' to fulfill in a couple weeks, a five course gourmet meal that a couple won in an auction. This is usually a no-brainer, but one of the folks has celiacs disease, so must be gluten free. I had a beef tenderloin meal all planned out for them, with ramp-butter being the accouterments to the beef. Tonight, on a whim, as I was preparing a sort of 'stay-at-home-date-night' for the wife and I, I made a gluten-free espagnole sauce, which later morphed into a GF red wine demi glace for our beef. I won't lie to you and say it is just as good as the glutenful version, but it is pretty damn good, and I'm betting it will be a treat for the clients that don't usually get food like this in a GF diet.

roast beef tenderloin with red wine GF demi
celery root puree (creme fraiche, lemon, scallion)
saute of chard with ramp butter
sangiovese
GF-demi-meal.jpg

Pretty much the exact same thing here in the Netherlands. You can choose between starchy, waxy, sweet potatoes and sometimes red (usually roseval; which is IMO rather overrated). Only in some stores you're lucky enough to find a few fancier potatoes, but you really have to go out of your way to look for it.
When we're talking about Hanos/Sligro that's restaurant wholesalers; not a normal supermarket. I had to officially sign in a 'cooking club' in the chamber of commerce just to be able to apply for a card to shop there. :D
It's really a shame, because as a kid I always thought potatoes were just... bland and boring. Turns out they don't have to be when the potatoes don't suck.

Well, you just have to go to the source -- Peru. Or Chile. Apparently, there are 5000 varieties.

1635651809199.png

Interesting evening. I prepared Spanish tortilla omelets 3 different ways (all partially eaten before I thought to take photos): mushroom and spinach; asparagus and onion, sprinkled with prosciutto chips; and country style with potatoes, onions, red pepper, garlic, and smoked paprika. These served with a bagette and a simple rosado de Rioja. But the shocker was the phone call we received for dessert -- a surprise 2 week early birth of my new grandson, Walter, born at 7 pm, shown here 30 minutes old. My wife and I fly to Boston tomorrow to meet him!

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

Latest posts

Back