Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After getting colorozo salt I threw away cure #1. It was bound to end up in the salt pot.

Sometimes a butcher is quicker.

@Jovidah Out of curiosity, I wouldn’t mind learning more, thanks!
Took me some digging to find it again, but the main 'name' associated with this is that of Vilhjamur Stefansson, an arctic explorer from the golden days around the turn of the century. He first learned about it from indigenous populations in certain areas that had such diets for at least parts of the year, and applied it at times during expeditions as well.
Due to his experience in expeditions he was also someone who was acutely aware of, and familiar with problems relating to scurvy.

However something I should have emphasized more: eating the whole animal is crucial. Eating only the lean parts can lead to protein poisoning / rabbit starvation and can be highly lethal, and will also lead to significant nutrient deficiencies over time.

I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I could find an article describing a somewhat controlled study lasting over a year; makes for interesting reading:
https://www.jbc.org/article/S0021-9258(18)76842-7/fulltext
While sample size is too small to really stand up to present-day scientific rigor, it adresses a lot of the questions and concerns one might have on the subject. It's interesting to note that a sizable part of their diet was not just muscles, but animal fats, kidney, liver, etc. Beyond this one-year study apparently Stefansson also lived on such a diet for other lengthy periods in his life, and it didn't stop him from reaching a ripe age of 82.

There's other indigenous groups living off almost exclusively animal diets that defy 'convential' dietary wisdom that seem to get by just fine, but again, this usually either entails significant consumption of milk products, and / or whole-animal consumption. Most of these groups have no problems with things like scurvy or high blood pressure / cardiovascular diseases one would be tempted to expect from such diets.

I love my meat, ...but also love eating plants. Can't see depriving myself on all the glorious veggies.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/carnivore-diet#steps
I'm not entirely on-board with some of the statements in that article (there's a lot that's either outdated, or very dubious / still contested in scientific debate), but in general I agree that I wouldn't recommend a carnivore diet to anyone. While it seems technically feasible, it's hard to do it 'right', and due to the 'whole animal'-necessity involves eating a lot of parts that many won't find necessarily particularly appealing or attractive (organ meat, fats). No matter how much you like meat, eating only meat eventually becomes rather boring and monotone, and it's just much easier to sustain diets that have more variety.

I once saw a documentary on the local inhabitants in the arctic, indeed eating all or most of the animal worked, and they supplement their diet by every now and then harvesting 'greens' from the seafloor in (pretty dangerous) excursions slipping in between cracks in the ice during low tide.....dunno, the diet did not quite jive with my appetite.... the description of the state of the seal they bury at the start of winter to carry them over the period no hunting and fishing can take place right before the ice moves out did not look very promising, the smell was reported as 'interesting' and 'fermented wet dog' and the visiting reporters all gagged...

Last edited:
Tagliatelle with spinach and gorgonzola - very yummy!
IMG_3230.jpg

I made fast taco soup. I like this and it is fast to make. It is made from ground chili meat, can of beans, Rotel tomatoes, and hominy with a little frozen corn thrown in. I added an old potato because I wanted to use it up. most times I don't add any potatoes. I use the taco seasoning and ranch dressing seasonings in the picture. I cook the meat with some taco seasoning and 1 onion diced. I then added some of my frozen stock broth I made a month ago and a couple cans of water. Last, I add the ranch dressing seasoning powder and a little more taco seasoning. You are then done once it cooks 10 or 15 minutes.

If you have never used hominy you need to wash it in a colander. I drain the beans also. The Rotels I pour all the juice in the pot.

When it is cold out and I am in a hurry I make this a lot. It started as a weight watchers' dish that I modified.

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I could find an article describing a somewhat controlled study lasting over a year; makes for interesting reading:
DEFINE_ME
Thanks for that, that was an interesting read.

OK, so you probably won't die within a year of eating only meat :) I think I'll stick to eating other things as well, regardless ;)

Thanks for that, that was an interesting read.

OK, so you probably won't die within a year of eating only meat :) I think I'll stick to eating other things as well, regardless ;)

yeah I mean fruits and vegetables and grains are awesome and Im not sure why you would deprive yourself of them.

too many weird diets out there. just eat a balanced one like human beings have evolved to eat damn it aint that hard.

Haha, yeah I bet the few people who used to live on such a diet out of necessity would probably consider it complete lunacy to voluntariy follow their diet while presented with every other available alternative. :D The fact that you can doesn't mean that you should...

The simplest - and quite effective diet - is to simply make your food from scratch with whole ingredients of proper quality. It's really hard to go wrong when you cut out all the processed and industrialized unhealthy crap. Then just throw in a lot of variety to essentially 'spread your risk' on any one particular thing being unhealthy and you should be pretty good IMO, without making any significant concessions to the ability to actually enjoy your food.

Over the last monts we became more and more fans of risottos. There are so many different ways to prepare them. Today we did a new one, that was made of red wine and beetroot juice. In addition we had a grape salad with chicoree
View attachment 154363View attachment 154364View attachment 154365
Nice! I think not too long ago I have posted a recipe for red radicchio risotto. Try that, it is absolutely delicious!

EDIT: here’s the link:Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

I only ever made one risotto that I consider a failure. I tried to make a dessert version, replacing the stock with orange juice and the cheese with white chocolate. While actually tasting great it was so incredibly rich and heavy it was almost impossible to eat. Literally had to 'lighten' it by eating vanilla ice cream on the side.

I only ever made one risotto that I consider a failure. I tried to make a dessert version, replacing the stock with orange juice and the cheese with white chocolate. While actually tasting great it was so incredibly rich and heavy it was almost impossible to eat. Literally had to 'lighten' it by eating vanilla ice cream on the side.
I never made this, but it looks intriguing, it is from one of my all time favorite chefs, Michel Richard, RIP.
ris1.jpg

ris2.jpg

Right, i saw that before. It looks great, but i don't like blue cheese. Anyway i was thinking about trying it. Danke fürs erinnern.
You could substitute another semi-hard cheese or soft cheese. Cambert, Brie, Gouda, or Harvarti would all work, among others.

Back