Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicken and mushroom risotto
20220115_190623.jpg

I made fresh pasta with Elfo's special with Spice Islands Spaghetti seasoning. Well, that spice is no longer made but we mix our own now. There is an internet argument on how much powdered mushrooms go in the original Spice Islands spice.

IMG_0644.jpg

What dark beef broth did you use? I have a hard time finding dark beef broth.
Probably easiest to make your own. I've found some half-decent dark broth at specialty epicurean stores, but only at an exorbitant price. Get a bunch of beef bones and a bunch of root veggies, roast them until they are nice and charred (leave skin on onions for extra colour), and simmer away. Presto, dark beef broth :)

chicken Ballotine. First time deboning a bird while keeping it in tact. Went fairly easy, just lost a little skin near the shoulders and drums.

Just used what I had around the house spinach/brocoli/roast garlic/fried shallots/onion+scallion / cheese/bacon
E2AD04BA-CED7-439C-A484-03506B1F54F9.jpeg
F78CBC90-12BB-4FEA-AB09-A5B6506630FE.jpeg
C2FD21BA-1FA4-498F-9191-EC80835B88D1.jpeg
7140448C-E64A-4492-82D8-E71A58F733BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Chicken, mole and red rice. Impossibly delicious. It's humbling to be able to cook something like this in my own kitchen based on the experience and explorations of generations of people in a place far away where I've never been..
IMG_3506.jpg

I saw this week a recipe from Iran which as they said was the favourite for the Shakh (correct?) in 16th century...That made me curious.
So, me with collaboration with @Lars and his huge library found the recipe and I cooked it last night and today for lunch.
Beef, onion and 🧄, saffron, buffalo 🐃 yogurt, other spices, some nuts (not from the buffalo!), 4 hours in the oven...and here we go...beware Persians!
Ah, I forgot - the name is Motanjan.
Nice looking dish, but to be fair all I did was look through the only book on persian food in my "library" to determine that it had no recipe for Motanjan 🤷‍♂️

Nice job. I like doing that with chickens from time to time.

I did it to an 18lb turkey one year. Never again...:oops:

You know..Even though I've only cooked about two turkeys in my life, I realized I don't care for cooking whole turkeys. My thought for next thanksgiving was to do a ballontine and stuff it with all the thanksgiving sides. I have some time to be swayed otherwise..

Nice looking dish, but to be fair all I did was look through the only book on persian food in my "library" to determine that it had no recipe for Motanjan 🤷‍♂️
Fair enough. This conclusion:
"it had no recipe for Motanjan 🤷‍♂️"
motivated me even more to cook it!
Man, why do we have to expose small details from the "kitchen"?!?;)

Last edited:
You know..Even though I've only cooked about two turkeys in my life, I realized I don't care for cooking whole turkeys. My thought for next thanksgiving was to do a ballontine and stuff it with all the thanksgiving sides. I have some time to be swayed otherwise..

I break the turkey down into breasts, wings, thighs, and drumsticks. I dry brine them for ~24hrs. Then cook the pieces on racks. This way I can pull pieces as they are done and not overcook the white meat while waiting for the dark.

Probably easiest to make your own. I've found some half-decent dark broth at specialty epicurean stores, but only at an exorbitant price. Get a bunch of beef bones and a bunch of root veggies, roast them until they are nice and charred (leave skin on onions for extra colour), and simmer away. Presto, dark beef broth :)
What temp in the oven for roasting?

Chicken, mole and red rice. Impossibly delicious. It's humbling to be able to cook something like this in my own kitchen based on the experience and explorations of generations of people in a place far away where I've never been..
View attachment 161089

Nice. Good mole' is great. I really like it. It is kind of a central Mexico thing.

Back