Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally made Pozole. I could not find my spice last year so I never made it. Pozole is brothy so you can add the vegies at the end when you eat it. Pozole is just kind of meat and hominy with lots of broth. I use white hominy washed. Normally I add cilantro but I made a mistake as I had 2 parsleys at home instead of1 being cilantro. I should have put the avocado in also.

PS
Color is important to me. I like this reddish orange color. I don't like it when it goes brown,

I don't use bones anymore as it goes brown. I don't cook my spice with the meat as it goes brown. I wait until I add the stock.

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Last edited:
I finally made Pozole. I could not find my spice last year so I never made it. Pozole is brothy so you can add the vegies at the end when you eat it. Pozole is just kind of meat and hominy with lots of broth. I use white hominy washed. Normally I add cilantro but I made a mistake as I had 2 parsleys at home instead of1 being cilantro. I should have put the avocado in.

View attachment 162068

View attachment 162069

View attachment 162070

One of the great soups of the world! We have an excellent mom and pop Mexican joint here in town and their pozole broth is amazing.

I finally made Pozole. I could not find my spice last year so I never made it. Pozole is brothy so you can add the vegies at the end when you eat it. Pozole is just kind of meat and hominy with lots of broth. I use white hominy washed. Normally I add cilantro but I made a mistake as I had 2 parsleys at home instead of1 being cilantro. I should have put the avocado in also.

View attachment 162068

View attachment 162069

View attachment 162070
Looks good!
Needs some tortillas and lime and you're all set.

Lime is in there you can see it in the pictures. I added the avocado after the picture. I threw the squeezed lime in the bowl before the picture. I wished I would have bought cilantro but I thought I already had it.

Last edited:
I don't add tostadas to Pozole. I add them to tortilla soup. But they are good on the side or even corn tortillas are good with it.
Usually when we eat pozole, we have the tostadas on the side and try to get a bit of everything in one bite. That's what I meant haha, not in the soup.

OK...as I see the "teaser" campaign works (and provoked posts about the varieties of meats we can cook), let me show you another teaser.
I am sure you would guess the upper bag content...Yeah...ox tail. But the second, yellowish stuff? Hm?
It is goose testicles.
:laughingchef:
I cooked'em today for lunch.
Strangely, nobody from the family wanted to share the dish:dining:
And it was delicious, I can assure you. It tastes like...hm...nuts?
Joking. It tastes like a tender tongue or brain from beef.

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_132744.jpg
    IMG_20220123_132744.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220123_133513.jpg
    IMG_20220123_133513.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220123_134757.jpg
    IMG_20220123_134757.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I always assumed the Chinese invented hash…
That looks nothing like the hash I used to smoke 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I just had a look through my "huge library" and the 1936 book "Nutids mad og husførelse" by Carla Meyer has recipes for both biksemad and pyt i pande.
They recipes are very similar, but biksemad include "stegesauce", something I can only translate as "roasting juice".
IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

Last edited:
That looks nothing like the hash I used to smoke 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I just had a look through my "huge library" and the 1936 book "Nutids mad og husførelse" by Carla Meyer has recipes for both biksemad and pyt i pande.
They recipes are very similar, but biksemad include "stegesauce", something I can only translate as "roasting juice".
View attachment 162152
View attachment 162151
Now I know that your library also contains antique books...1936?!?
How the hell you aquired this piece @Lars?

Now I know that your library also contains antique books...1936?!?
How the hell you aquired this piece @Lars?
It was gifted to me by the queen of denmark for my long standing service to the country. Namely my work denouncing foreign propaganda, especially the swedish attempt to claim ownership of Biksemad..

I guess it has been a long and hard denouncing... :cool:

My guess is that the danes are really still a bit upset both of the fall of the Kalmar Union and later the result of the Treaty of Roskilde and they take it out on the culinary discussions.

More on topic: an earlier discussion in this thread about braciole made me make a semi-improvised attempt with what I could find in my fridge and corner store:

DSC_0469.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg

DSC_0471-2.jpg

Well that was triggering. When I was a young and taking my first steps as a chef I was talked into doing a dinner for a big fund raiser that had a Greek theme. I chose Moussaka as my main, I pulled it off, but it was a struggle!
Really? I found it simple. A couple of steps and it takes time but still simple… For decades I didn’t like aubergines but, boy, they were so tasty with a soft and creamy texture. It tasted like in Greece… It’s great to „travel“ in these strange times by cooking dishes from all over the world…

Back