Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
veggie khorma:

Lately I developed the habit of using a large Bormioli jar to whizz up stuff using the stick blender, fits the purpose nicely!

Recipe from the Curry Guy, taste was very good (even when the presentation makes every effort to hide that) but the way it was written makes me think the book is not going to be a keeper...(or I contracted ADD as side effect of Corona)

20220127_174111.jpg
20220127_180524.jpg

Last edited:
This was a tasty snack…
Leftover roast beast and horseradish root…
C1B5A92B-964B-4520-AEA6-B31FF485A045.jpeg

Made a Yorkshire pudding
62789CCE-EE4C-44C6-8446-8A2F9E500762.jpeg

Loaded with the beef, horseradish and caramelized onions
88FC60A1-85EC-4F8C-B97D-7D241E49A8A1.jpeg

Topped with Gorgonzola sauce…
892CA9EB-FF1D-43BB-B043-0A7DF3FBC241.jpeg

I did slice it before sharing…

Last edited:
Yeah, when I feel l like a lot of prep my go-tos are hot and sour soup (lots of Fei Long stuff in that one) or "Super Slaw" 😀

I'm going to try and go to Patel Bros. when I need to move the car next week. I love Kaluystan's and used to shop there a fair bit but the freshness of most items leaves a lot to be desired so I've been ordering spices online.

I used to work a block away from Kalustyan's, and frequented it, and other spice stores in that neighborhood regularly. IMO, although Kalustyan's has almost everything for non-occidental cookery, it's waaaaay over priced for my humble wallet. The spice shops in Brooklyn's Little Pakistan, and the Bengali neighborhood in Kensington has good South Asian spices/ingredients for a fraction of the price compared to Kalustyan's.

I can get the same Indian/Pakistani kitchen staples/spices I need in Little Pakistan.

Patel Bros. is well worth the trip if you have a car. Since I travel by subway, I'm only able to buy what fits in my messenger bag—but go there for the Indian/Nepalese/Tibetan restaurants in the area.

This is how I make mayonnaise these days, but with a workman's glass instead of the jar. Almost foolproof!

Must give that another last try....it NEVER worked except for one time ,eons ago, when I used great freshly pressed unfiltered olive oil...only to find out the hard way that the result was unpalatable...

Recipe from the Curry Guy, taste was very good (even when the presentation makes every effort to hide that) but the way it was written makes me think the book is not going to be a keeper...(or I contracted ADD as side effect of Corona)
I made a dish from the Curry Guy's website two days ago and had pretty much the same result as you. Taste was very good, presentation was bleh, and it wasn't super easy to follow. Had to re-read the recipe at least a dozen times before I was done and I had to guess what to do with one of the ingredients as it was only mentioned in the ingredients list, but nowhere in the actually directions.

I made a dish from the Curry Guy's website two days ago and had pretty much the same result as you. Taste was very good, presentation was bleh, and it wasn't super easy to follow. Had to re-read the recipe at least a dozen times before I was done and I had to guess what to do with one of the ingredients as it was only mentioned in the ingredients list, but nowhere in the actually directions.

I thought it was me having to re-read the recipe a dozen times, usually when I've read something I can recall it pretty much literally...(some stuff like work literature until years later) but this was a pain!
How difficult can it be to bring some logical order into a recipe; break the ingredients up between sauce and dish, list them in chronological order, if possible list if an onion should be diced or sliced etc, do an intro about the dish and give the rest of the details and instructions in chronological order of cooking...

I have thrown out almost every book that in the middle section of the instructions says, now add the whatever you precooked, and fried earlier, or now add so and so much as per the recipe on page whatever...

I have thrown out almost every book that in the middle section of the instructions says, now add the whatever you precooked, and fried earlier, or now add so and so much as per the recipe on page whatever...
The part that had my girlfriend and I laughing were the instructions to make the Raita, here it is copy pasted: "Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Check your seasoning and set aside."
Reminds me of the cookbooks from medieval Europe, it was just missing the polite "and serve it forthe"

I used to work a block away from Kalustyan's, and frequented it, and other spice stores in that neighborhood regularly. IMO, although Kalustyan's has almost everything for non-occidental cookery, it's waaaaay over priced for my humble wallet. The spice shops in Brooklyn's Little Pakistan, and the Bengali neighborhood in Kensington has good South Asian spices/ingredients for a fraction of the price compared to Kalustyan's.

I can get the same Indian/Pakistani kitchen staples/spices I need in Little Pakistan.

Patel Bros. is well worth the trip if you have a car. Since I travel by subway, I'm only able to buy what fits in my messenger bag—but go there for the Indian/Nepalese/Tibetan restaurants in the area.
Awesome, thanks!!

Any reccos for stores and/or restaurants in Little Pakistan or the Bengali neighborhood in Kensington, which I didn't know about!? We are currently borrowing a car so good timing! In warmer weather I ride a motorcycle so I'm usually in the same boat as far as "what can I fit in my backpack"? The bike is little and old and has no luggage but I love the old girl. 😀

-Gabe

Awesome, thanks!!

Any reccos for stores and/or restaurants in Little Pakistan or the Bengali neighborhood in Kensington, which I didn't know about!? We are currently borrowing a car so good timing! In warmer weather I ride a motorcycle so I'm usually in the same boat as far as "what can I fit in my backpack"? The bike is little and old and has no luggage but I love the old girl. 😀

-Gabe

Two of the more popular restaurants in Little Pakistan are Pakiza (dal chawal and grilled meats very good); and Lahori Chilli on Coney Island Ave; Mashalla is also good. Be aware that decor is generally drab, ambience utilitarian (TV usually blaring Pakistani cricket matches; Lollywood films; or News in Urdu)—but food is good, very reasonably priced compared to Manhattan; you order at the counter and they'll heat it up in the micro; very working class crowd.

For Bengali, Raduni Sweets is the place in Kensington—this is real deal Bengali, very different for your run of the mill Indian joint. Usually crowded with Bengali men eating.

Most markets in those areas have decent spice selections—Zaitoon on Coney Island Ave is the better spice shop there.

My dal chawal (dal and rice) with a couple chicken kebabs from the last time at Pakiza.
AB32976D-1C8E-49F1-BA88-6300A40CC178.jpg

Last edited:
Two of the more popular restaurants in Little Pakistan are Pakiza (dal chawal and grilled meats very good); and Lahori Chilli on Coney Island Ave; Mashalla is also good. Be aware that decor is generally drab, ambience utilitarian (TV usually blaring Pakistani cricket matches; Lollywood films; or News in Urdu)—but food is good, very reasonably priced compared to Manhattan; you order at the counter and they'll heat it up in the micro; very working class crowd.

For Bengali, Raduni Sweets is the place in Kensington—this is real deal Bengali, very different for your run of the mill Indian joint. Usually crowded with Bengali men eating.

Most markets in those areas have decent spice selections—Zaitoon on Coney Island Ave is the better spice shop there.

My dal chawal (dal and rice) with a couple chicken kebabs from the last time at Pakiza.
That looks amazing, thanks very much!

Our first Ciabatta bread and I helped. Wife did most of the work. We are going to try and figure out how to make really good loafs of bread. We cooked it 20 minutes. I wonder what would happen if we went a few more minutes? How do you tell if you have the right time down? It is fresh out of the oven.

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

Last edited:
Back