Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clam chowder, shrimp Louie and a Ukrainian inspired cucumber, radish salad…Slava Ukraini
D3C9562D-F0F5-4A4C-88D7-D09B0EBDC49B.jpeg
F719FACB-B588-4EEC-9ED3-873D499AE448.jpeg
9DF33878-8DDA-4398-83DA-6BAF3350FC53.jpeg

I made a riff on an old USSR seamen dish.. "marakoni po flotski". That translates basically noodles seaman style. My dad once told me when I was a little kid, that when he served on a submarine back in the early 60's, most of the meat hey had was ground beef, so one of their more popular dishes was to cook up ground beef with a lot of onions and a bit of salt and pepper and garlic and just pour it over noodles. The key (according to him) was to use 2x onions vs beef, so as onions caramelize slowly, and then mixed with pasta, it creates this highly flavored beef fat that covers noodles. It was super tasty and filling... I had the original a few times when I was a kid and enjoyed it but now I make it a bit different..

I use chicken thighs and lots of onions, salt, pepper and garlic. It looks very plain but has this flavor, that I just love. I usually cook thighs on a bone, separately and then add. Also chicken fat also adds extra flavor.

I think most will find this dish kinda boring and rightfully so, but to me, it has great flavor and makes even better leftovers

2022-05-13 15.20.20.jpg

I made a riff on an old USSR seamen dish.. "marakoni po flotski".
There is a similar German dish, "Labskaus". Also made with things that were available on sailing boats and had a long shelf life. Ingredients are corned beef, potatoes, onion, pickled cucurmber, pickled beetroot, and spices (mustard, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and cloves).

The whole thing is cooked into a thick paste, sort of the consistency of mashed potato, and often served with pickled herring and a fried egg.

It's great winter warmer food. I haven't made it in ages, need to resurrect that again soon.

Labskaus-e1485866294397.jpg

Last edited:
There is a similar German dish, "Labskaus". Also made with things that were available on sailing boats and had a long shelf life. Ingredients are corned beef, potatoes, onion, pickled cucurmber, pickled beetroot, and spices (mustard, salt, pepper, bay leave, and cloves).

The whole thing is cooked into a thick paste, sort of the consistency of mashed potato, and often served with pickled herring and a fried egg.

It's great winter warmer food. I haven't made it in ages, need to resurrect that again soon.

That image really makes me unease...

There is a similar German dish, "Labskaus". Also made with things that were available on sailing boats and had a long shelf life. Ingredients are corned beef, potatoes, onion, pickled cucurmber, pickled beetroot, and spices (mustard, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and cloves).

pickled herring is awesome:)

that dish looks interesting but I doubt they served it that way :)

I cant get that HMB farm to answer any attempts to contact (email/calls), I'd love to pick some up locally down there rather than dealing with shipping. I'm not too far away from them in Pacifica. How was your experience with them and the wasabi in general?
I have never dealt with them directly. I buy it at Nijiya Market in Japantown.
The wasabi is delicious. Much better than other available options.
It's expensive, but I'll buy it if I see a good, small piece.
2018CC77-9CB3-4215-85CC-F0C9DAB46452.jpeg

I think outside of Pittsburgh "spelt flour" is known as "spelled flour" <Pittsburghese insider joke, either yinz get it or uins don't, n'at>
Can you clue me in on the joke? I don't get it.

As you might have guessed, I'm not from Pittsburgh ;)

Nose-to-Tail Mahi-mahi for last night's supper party.
Wood Grilled Mahi-mahi with Calamansi and Currant Tomato + Mahi-mahi Sashimi + Negi Shiira (Mahi-mahi Tatare)
That looks bloody awesome! Very beautiful!

I take it that the sashimi is all from the same single fish? If so, it's amazing to get that much color contrast from the same fish!

Mahi Mahi is not available in Australia I believe. At least, I've never spotted it at a fish market. If it's around, it's definitely uncommon.

I take it that the sashimi is all from the same single fish? If so, it's amazing to get that much color contrast from the same fish!

Mahi Mahi is not available in Australia I believe. At least, I've never spotted it at a fish market. If it's around, it's definitely uncommon.
Oh, no, no—should’ve mentioned the sashimi platter had both mahi-mahi (light colored) and; ahi (red) from a chunk I bought from same vendor.
B80DFA2A-B272-4624-97B7-5C7C3BF12280.jpeg

Last edited:

It's definitely around but like you say not super common. I know it's a fairly well targeted species for recreational fisherman around Sydney. Nice flavour and supposedly a relatively sustainable fish as they're fast growing.

Not the completed dish.
Picked up a mahi-mahi from the market—will be the main feature for tonight’s celebratory feast. Lefty deba sharpened and at the ready!
View attachment 179416
On one of our trips we were on a boat and basically having what the sea offered to us.
One day we caught a Mahi-Mahi and the cook orepared some Sashimi of it. It was one of the best i ever had. Really a fantastic fish. Enjoy.

Back