Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fried roma salad, caramelized with fennel seeds, maple syrup and pastis. Braised onions, fresh spring onions and orange fillets. Served with a fennel seed orange vinaigrette. Fried avocado in panko with egg, and juicy chicken breast and a crispy chicken skin chip
IMG_1717.jpg
IMG_1720.jpg
IMG_1722.jpg
IMG_1727.jpg
IMG_1731.jpg
IMG_1734.jpg

Question, I assume you halve the Avocado to get the egg inside, is the egg softboiled at that stage?
Fascinating dish, new to me!

Question, I assume you halve the Avocado to get the egg inside, is the egg softboiled at that stage?
Fascinating dish, new to me!
Boil the egg very soft. Peel carefully. Halve the avocado. Remove the core and adjust the hollow to the size of the egg. Smear the mustard in the well. then the egg. Press both halves together again. Roll in flour, then egg and then in panko ;)

last Asparagus of the season, makes sense as they lose their power...baked spuds and an experimentally crusted pork loin baked in oil infused with garlic, ginger, red pepper, bay, vadouvin and butter. (not a great success to crust it since the crust drops off during cutting)

20220626_195725.jpg

20220626_181003.jpg

So, nothing to show yet, but going to post this to put a little extra pressure on myself to come through...

I've shared some of my cooking, especially smoked meat, with a few neighbors and they all love it and are always asking what I'm cooking next. Up to now, it's just been sampling type portions, but tomorrow I'm going to go for it.

I'm going to cook for three neighbors (two elderly and mostly homebound) and deliver it. My plan is...

- Smoked Cornish Hens. Planning to rub a sage, garlic, lemon butter under the skin and routinely spritz them in a mixture of equal parts apple juice, apple cider vinegar and Fireball. Got some kind of spicy apricot dipping sauce rolling around in my head.

- Purple cabbage and carrot slaw with dill and a more or less traditional dressing but with a hint of sumac.

- Cold Asian-inspired pasta salad (whole wheat linguine) with red bell pepper, fresh basil, and a soy and sesame dressing.

Hopefully I remember to get some pics but I'm already freaking nervous! I know it isn't a lot but I've never done anything this involved for folks who I don't honestly know their tastes.

Why is cooking for other people so nerve wracking but so exciting? :oops::oops:

Well, here's the hens all trussed and stuffed:
f83IYaA.jpg

Coleslaw prep with the Wat Pro:
BDjqIZB.jpg

yd30BuW.jpg

I didn't grab a pic of the birds smoking but here I'm searing the skin over hot coals. I've pulled the smoke barrel off and the other two birds are still in there on their rack staying warm for their turn.
RKuS2xI.jpg

First delivery packed and ready:
nj7FN4S.jpg

The wife and I kept one bird and some of the salads but the remaining deliveries were made.
geQWd7H.jpg

I thought everything turned out pretty good. The apricot, jalapeno and Korean pepper flake dipping sauce could've been a little spicier but still good. The wife said everything was excellent. It's hot outside so everyone is hunkered down inside so no feedback yet but hopefully they all enjoyed. They were certainly very appreciative and I had fun. :)

Last edited:
keep at it, you will crack the code...are you using semolina when shaping your pie out of the cured balls of dough?

We were using the 00 flour on an Ooni perforated peel. The ones that we messed up were done by the fiancee who didn't use as much flour as I did. The ones I did where I was more generous while shaping didn't stick.

I'm pretty happy today overall as there were a number of places I cracked the code so the process is moving along nicely. For example, as I went along I got a fair handle on the turning to avoid totally burning the crust.

give using semolina to roll out the pies a try, it helped me a lot!

O weee and perhaps try a little less cheese, alittle goes a long way in a HOT oven!

I'll have see what I've got in the cupboard. The 00 worked pretty well if we had enough on the board. Humid here today so the dough was wanting to stick to everything.

Yeah, we figured out that we were using a bit to much cheese from the first one I fired. We were dialling it back as we went.

Beef roulade cooked at a low temperature until tender. In addition potato mustard puree sous vide with coarse-grained French mustard with fried kohlrabi leaves and creamed apple kohlrabi and fried kohlrabi chips and fresh kohlrabi stems.
Everything on its own was a hit. Nothing stole the show from the other... tender, sweet, sour, bitter, savory...
263086227_4435435683171160_7888792276364641815_n.jpg
262576201_4435435699837825_6393023397811792150_n.jpg
262780613_4435435689837826_3835697806558435808_n.jpg
263374335_4435435693171159_6765234660552495007_n.jpg
262715344_4435435686504493_4604773997309977889_n.jpg

last Asparagus of the season, makes sense as they lose their power...baked spuds and an experimentally crusted pork loin baked in oil infused with garlic, ginger, red pepper, bay, vadouvin and butter. (not a great success to crust it since the crust drops off during cutting)

View attachment 186065

View attachment 186066
That's my kinda prep area—more knives than ingredients!

I usually do this with chicken thighs twice a month, but I got a crazy deal on beef boneless short ribs (I got 5 packages). Here I made 2 of them. Braised in this for 5 hrs (3 packages at 275f) Amazon.com : Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauces Beef Stew, 12 oz. Pouch (Pack of 6) : Grocery & Gourmet Food

After they came out, shredded, added 1.5 table spoons of peppercorns (freshly ground), 6 large onions, 2 table spoons of garlic powder, and 4 table spoons of wostershire sauce. Cooked it for 10-15 min until meat starts to brown and everything melds...

I use this mostly for steak n cheese, quesadillas, fried rice, etc

for reference, pan is 14" woll

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

I enjoy Appenzeller cheese, Gruyere's slightly stinkier cousin, and I find it pairs really well with strawberries. I happened to have had both yesterday, so I whipped up a small batch of chili spiced toasted balsamic pecans and a couple chicken breasts for a salad, iceberg, red leaf, and rocket dressed with my balsamic/Dijon dressing, topped with appenzellar, then the chicken/spiced-pecans/strawberries, a nice warm-weather dinner.
spiced-pecans.jpg

salad-mise.jpg

appenzellar-salad.jpg

I enjoy Appenzeller cheese, Gruyere's slightly stinkier cousin, and I find it pairs really well with strawberries. I happened to have had both yesterday, so I whipped up a small batch of chili spiced toasted balsamic pecans and a couple chicken breasts for a salad, iceberg, red leaf, and rocket dressed with my balsamic/Dijon dressing, topped with appenzellar, then the chicken/spiced-pecans/strawberries, a nice warm-weather dinner.
View attachment 186263
View attachment 186264
View attachment 186265
Good taste in cheese! If you like Alpenzellar also try Vacherin Fribourgeois and maybe Napfkase, Hoch Ybrig, or Challerhocker.

Back