Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shakshuka with sucuk
IMG_2527.jpg
IMG_2531.jpg
IMG_2542.jpg
IMG_2545.jpg

Coffee marinated pork chop with white bean mash and kiwi salsa from a recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi. It was really, really delicious and something I would never in my life have thought of.
I've been trying to get better at cooking meat using my intuition and senses rather than a probe and this came out just right, so I'm giving myself a pad on the back for that.
IMG_8932.JPG

Coffee marinated pork chop with white bean mash and kiwi salsa from a recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi. It was really, really delicious and something I would never in my life have thought of.
I've been trying to get better at cooking meat using my intuition and senses rather than a probe and this came out just right, so I'm giving myself a pad on the back for that.
View attachment 191946
Looks fantastic. Sounds unusual, too.
Care to share the recipie?

Today there was beef stew from the shoulder, with a red wine-chocolate-port wine jus, with mustard puree, potato chips as topping, brown mushrooms stewed in roast jus and butter and roasted onions. In addition, a creamy apple kohlrabi vegetable. Very Delicious!!!

IMG_2606.jpg
IMG_2609.jpg
IMG_2617.jpg
IMG_2622.jpg
IMG_2627.jpg

I Like the quantity of jus! looks yummy!

I made my first Carbonara, since I got gifted with a piece of Guanciale. Salad on the side to compensate.
20220807_175306.jpg

Question; what temperature is right to whack in the egg/cheese mix, since I'm using very thick pans due to induction they keep heat longer than what the typical recipe states (whack in the egg mix after turning off the heat when the spaghetti sizzles). Plan on using the IR temp gun next time...

It was just at the border of scrambled egg, still a delicious way to up the cholesterol :)

btw; I payed for the high hydration of the pizza dough on a hot day...the dough was very difficult to shape, yet the pizza's came out SUPER, just forgot to take some pics as we were in the middle of an audio and beer session.

I made my first Carbonara, since I got gifted with a piece of Guanciale. Salad on the side to compensate.View attachment 192097

Question; what temperature is right to whack in the egg/cheese mix, since I'm using very thick pans due to induction they keep heat longer than what the typical recipe states (whack in the egg mix after turning off the heat when the spaghetti sizzles). Plan on using the IR temp gun next time...

It was just at the border of scrambled egg, still a delicious way to up the cholesterol :)
This is what I did last time for carbonara and it came out excellent
https://www.lacucinaitaliana.com/italian-food/how-to-cook/how-to-make-original-carbonara?refresh_ce=
So you turn the heat off the pan before you even cook the pasta.

I made my first Carbonara, since I got gifted with a piece of Guanciale. Salad on the side to compensate.View attachment 192097

You could also put the pan with the bacon in the oven at 65 degrees. At 65 degrees the egg begins to falter. Otherwise when the noodles are done. Turn off the pan. Add the pasta to the bacon, then add the cheese and egg mixture and then add 1-2 scoops of pasta water. That's something you get a feel for over time.

This is what I did last time for carbonara and it came out excellent
https://www.lacucinaitaliana.com/italian-food/how-to-cook/how-to-make-original-carbonara?refresh_ce=
So you turn the heat off the pan before you even cook the pasta.
Thanks, I used a slightly different recipe using while egg...but indeed added the mixture after turning off the heat in the pan.

Guess that putting the guanciale in the oven, slightly frying the spaghetti in some of the fat in another pan to combine the two in the first pan may work

edit; indeed turning off the heat and then starting to cook pasta seems like too long to me too...grano duro spaghetti takes 11 min to get to the beginning of al dente

Thanks, I used a slightly different recipe using while egg...but indeed added the mixture after turning off the heat in the pan.

Guess that putting the guanciale in the oven, slightly frying the spaghetti in some of the fat in another pan to combine the two in the first pan may work

edit; indeed turning off the heat and then starting to cook pasta seems like too long to me too...grano duro spaghetti takes 11 min to get to the beginning of al dente
To play it safe. Can you first leave out the bacon on induction and then fry it crispy? Then pack the pan in the oven at 64-65 degrees. When the noodles are ready. Take the pan out of the oven. Add the pasta to the bacon, then the egg mixture, and then 1-2 cups of pasta water. It doesn't matter whether you use egg white or just take egg yolk ;). But it tastes better if you only use egg yolk in my opinion...

To play it safe. Can you first leave out the bacon on induction and then fry it crispy? Then pack the pan in the oven at 64-65 degrees. When the noodles are ready. Take the pan out of the oven. Add the pasta to the bacon, then the egg mixture, and then 1-2 cups of pasta water. It doesn't matter whether you use egg white or just take egg yolk ;). But it tastes better if you only use egg yolk in my opinion...
sounds like a plan for next time! I interpreted the recipe I was using as that I should fry the pasta little, but that is likely inconsequential for the final result so I'll try this next time I get my hands on the guanciale....

make no misstake between the difference between guanciale, pancetta and bacon...I think guanciale is going to have to be my burial shroud...

O and I'll try yolks only next time!

sounds like a plan for next time! I interpreted the recipe I was using as that I should fry the pasta little, but that is likely inconsequential for the final result so I'll try this next time I get my hands on the guanciale....

make no misstake between the difference between guanciale, pancetta and bacon...I think guanciale is going to have to be my burial shroud...

O and I'll try yolks only next time!
Gunacicale is a must use ;)
294745508_5139586309422757_1113765657031862499_n.jpg
294612038_5139586319422756_5070780561522975439_n.jpg

8-10 minutes without heat? Unless you use fresh pasta! That's too long without heat. Carbonara is a just-in-time dish to serve warm on the plate.

In my pans on my stove it kept the heat quite well (I have a ceramic top that holds heat) Since you add the pasta water and pasta before the eggs, it warmed it up nicely.

Back