Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until recently, I was using store bought corn tortillas, which tend to be tasteless and broken. Using masa harina to make my own tortillas was a revelation. They are easy and simple to make, just masa flour, water and a pinch of salt, and have a wonderful texture and the taste and aroma of fire roasted corn. I made flavorful steak tacos last night with marinated meat, pico de gallo and guacamole.

IMG_4502.jpeg

IMG_4498.jpeg

IMG_4504.jpeg

IMG_4501.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

Last edited:
thanks for convincing me to make them from scratch next time, i've always found the ready made ones tasting sour and blend (likely from over proofing...)

No, just kidding..
Reminds me of a story back when I was in TV production and was working on a job creating judge training videos for the American Kennel Club. I’m a big dog person but the people who drove cross-country for no money to have their darlings in the videos were DOG PEOPLE.

The cameraman Craig was fussing with a Bichon Frise to get it in position, and the owner said “isn’t he gorgeous, how would you like him?” The camera guy knew he shouldn’t, but he just couldn’t help himself and, without skipping a beat, replied “well done with vinegar, please.” The lady snatched up her dog and drove back cross country.

🤣

Pizza night, decided to do it on the grill because too damn hot for a 550 oven in the house and we’ll never go back.

Next night was Mediterranean spiced chicken with chimichurri, couscous, and cherry tomatoes with Greek yoghurt and lemon zest from Ottolenghi’s new book “Simple”. We weren’t big fans of “Jerusalem” but this one is fantastic.

241F8601-75A9-4473-8793-FFB99D9A7668.jpeg
3555B99C-E33B-4D3E-ADB1-EEDCE4BA2D3A.jpeg

Last edited:
Years ago, before guanciale was avaiilable anywhere in San Francisco (to my knowledge), I got the idea of curing my own. This led to a truly comical scene in which I tried unsuccessfully to convey the concept "cheek" to a butcher in Chinatown, pointing to a pig's head in the display case and then to my face. Eventually a biliingual customer came in and offered to solve my dilemma; I told her what I wanted, she exchanged a few sentences in Cantonese with the butcher and they enjoyed a hearty laugh before she told me no, that cut wasn't available.

Years ago, before guanciale was avaiilable anywhere in San Francisco (to my knowledge), I got the idea of curing my own. This led to a truly comical scene in which I tried unsuccessfully to convey the concept "cheek" to a butcher in Chinatown, pointing to a pig's head in the display case and then to my face. Eventually a biliingual customer came in and offered to solve my dilemma; I told her what I wanted, she exchanged a few sentences in Cantonese with the butcher and they enjoyed a hearty laugh before she told me no, that cut wasn't available.
I have a pig’s head story but I think I’ll make it available by DM only. 🤣

that sort of attempts show the true power of intrinsic motivation!

Coffee marinated pork chop with white bean mash and kiwi salsa from a recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi. It was really, really delicious and something I would never in my life have thought of.
I've been trying to get better at cooking meat using my intuition and senses rather than a probe and this came out just right, so I'm giving myself a pad on the back for that.
View attachment 191946
Whoa. Wasn't a fan of Ottolenghi until his most recent book "Simple". That looks amazing.

Reminds me of a story back when I was in TV production and was working on a job creating judge training videos for the American Kennel Club. I’m a big dog person but the people who drove cross-country for no money to have their darlings in the videos were DOG PEOPLE.

The cameraman Craig was fussing with a Bichon Frise to get it in position, and the owner said “isn’t he gorgeous, how would you like him?” The camera guy knew he shouldn’t, but he just couldn’t help himself and, without skipping a beat, replied “well done with vinegar, please.” The lady snatched up her dog and drove back cross country.

🤣
Very nice... and i would have had a good laugh.
Regarding this cat... We have two, but this one is more than curious. Sometimes it just lays there and looks what we are doing. Not even to snap something up, but simply out of curiosity and being near to us. When working with knives i have to put her down on the floor, just to make sure she doesn't get injured, because she is not afraid of nearly anything.
I don't know if you know that guy Jun, who is on yt, but check out Jun's kitchen. He not only has lovely cats, but is a great cook and master with his knives. Sushi for cats is probably one of his best...

Last edited:
Kålpølser(southern danish sausages), lammefjord potatoes(regional danish potatoes) and stewed hispi cabbage(my favorite cabbage). Unfashionable maybe, old school sure, but so, so yummy..
IMG_8947.JPG

An amazing protein with a simple side. 35 day dry aged bone in pork chop that’s been smoked and cooked to an IT of 135. I officially dub sundays as spoil myself day.View attachment 192256View attachment 192257
Uwe‘s fun chopper used for some salmon, rice, radicchio chicoree and fermented red beetroot with horse radish:

44150078uv.jpeg

44150079sf.jpeg

And I forgot to mention the usual heap of cilantro…
Did you achieve the internal temp via sous vide? I've started using it with pork chops. Works beautifully.

Huevos mexicanos: a simple dish (eggs scrambled with sautéed onions, tomatoes, and fresh green chilis), served with fresh corn tortillas. It's quick (10 minutes) and a deeply flavorful breakfast or anytime snack that should be in everyone's armamentarium.

You can also fancy it up with sliced avocado, pinto beans, chopped cilantro, queso fresco, good Mexican coffee, and a nearby plate of tropical fruit.

IMG_4476.jpeg

Kålpølser(southern danish sausages), lammefjord potatoes(regional danish potatoes) and stewed hispi cabbage(my favorite cabbage). Unfashionable maybe, old school sure, but so, so yummy..
View attachment 192277
Thank you. I love to taste or even just see traditional dishes from the Old World. Ahh, time tested perfection! The culinary melting pot that is America typically puts out great volumes of crappy food. A good cook must have respect for and have some knowledge of tradition, in order to put out good fare.

Back