Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pizza night.
IMG_8962.JPG

IMG_8967.JPG

Me too?
We’ve basically had no kitchen for a month while our building replaced pipes.
They’re not done, but last night we finally got water back so I cooked.
Wifey asked for mapo tofu…
38E18CD7-6055-487C-B72F-8D90FC742BC9.jpeg

Served with 5 spice duck on mizuna.
7D138438-2D62-4F68-81D4-55C7CB8F715F.jpeg
9C0D8766-EE64-47F1-AF86-7D4F5AC369F4.jpeg

Good to cook again!

Teriyaki chicken breast with a honey, soy sauce, honey, garlic glaze and topped with panko and parsley. I made the teriyaki sauce myself. Served with a sweet, sour, hot and spicy apple, spring onion, leek, chili, ginger, garlic and shallot salad. The combination is simply delicious.
IMG_2683.jpg
IMG_2686.jpg
IMG_2699.jpg
IMG_2700.jpg

6ArPOxa.jpeg

First attempt at ramen using this recipe from reddit:

Looking at the colour I think I must have added more of the Tare than I should have but it didn't taste ridiculously salty/soy. Overcooked the egg. Otherwise, pretty decent success I reckon. The pork belly was unreal.

EDIT: Didn't realise the forum would embed a Reddit post like that. Click "comments" if you want to see the actual recipe.

Nubbesallad or gubbröra?
I had to look that up, of course :)

Closer to Nubbesallad, I’d say. Recipe:

Chop 500 g matjes fillets into 1 cm cubes. Add one finely diced onion, one large peeled and diced apple, and two small finely diced pickled gherkins. Add enough sour cream to turn the whole thing into a thick salad. Mix in one teaspoon yellow mustard seeds, twelve juniper berries, and three bay leaves. Let the whole thing sit in the fridge for two days for the flavours to mingle. Remove the bay leaves and juniper berries before serving.

Last edited:
Tinga tacos. Pan-fried courgettes, roasted tomato, chipotle and chorizo. With habanero hot sauce, cheese and cilantro. I really like this kind of Mexican food. Very simple, lots of veggies, comfy and delicious.
IMG_8969.JPG

Teriyaki chicken breast with a honey, soy sauce, honey, garlic glaze and topped with panko and parsley. I made the teriyaki sauce myself. Served with a sweet, sour, hot and spicy apple, spring onion, leek, chili, ginger, garlic and shallot salad. The combination is simply delicious.
View attachment 192921View attachment 192922View attachment 192923View attachment 192924
Holy crap I want to eat that! Do. you have a recipe you can link or do you freestyle it? Looks great on the platter too, good job sir!

(Nice looking Spåre too! A honyaki from him is my current darling)

Holy crap I want to eat that! Do. you have a recipe you can link or do you freestyle it? Looks great on the platter too, good job sir!

Thank you🙏 I will post it tommorow 😉 I got the Spare loan to test. It‘s a solid no brainer and onion killer. Now I want one 😅😂

You're right. The dish was a little freestyle and derived from that. I used skinless chicken breast instead of Lacks. I added finely chopped salmon to the salad. I used parsley instead of coriander. I replaced the red onions with shallots.
I made the teriyaki sauce myself and added roasted sesame seeds at the end.

There is also a video of the original recipe here ;)

FOR THE SALMON

400 g salmon fillet (skinless and boneless)
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 clove garlic
4-5 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tsp honey
3 sprigs of coriander greens

APPLE SALAD

2 apples
2 small red onions
½ red chilli (seedless)
1 stalk of spring onions
Juice of half a lemon

MARINADE

½ tbsp ginger
1 clove of garlic
1 pair of coriander leaves
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
½ tbsp honey
Zest of half a lemon
Juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt pepper

THAT'S HOW IT WORKS

I quarter and core the apples; then I use the mandolin to grate them into very fine slices, which I sprinkle with the juice of 1/2 a lemon so they don't turn brown. The red onions are peeled, halved lengthwise and also sliced into fine strips. I cut the spring onions into thin rings. I chop the chili, garlic and ginger into small to tiny cubes. I cut the salmon fillet into four pieces of about 100 grams each.
Now put the apple slices, the red onions, chili cubes and spring onions in a bowl.

For the marinade, I mix 1/2 tbsp ginger, garlic with 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp honey, zest and juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 3 tbsp olive oil. I season the marinade with salt and pepper and then add it to the apple salad. Fold in well and leave to infuse. Finely chopped coriander is only added when serving.

Meanwhile, I sauté the salmon in 3 tablespoons of olive oil over low heat. As soon as the salmon has colored on both sides but is still translucent on the inside, I take it out of the pan and put it in the oven at 50 degrees. Now I fry some diced garlic and add 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 4 – 5 tablespoons teriyaki sauce and 1 teaspoon honey to the pan. Stir once and boil down briefly. Now the salmon goes back into the pan. I toss it in the sauce for a few seconds and I'm ready to serve. In less than 30 minutes! I arrange the salad on the plate, place the fish next to it, drizzle with the teriyaki sauce and garnish with the coriander leaves. (If you don't like coriander, just use parsley.)

Yesterday there was a small BBQ. Potato salad made completely different than usual. It was a bit complex but awesome!

I steamed the potatoes and then roasted them in the oven with olive oil, garlic, pointed peppers, chili, and princess beans, salt and pepper as a basis. Add fresh cucumbers and spring onions. as herbs parsley, mint and chives. Add the juice of 2 lemons and lemon zest. Another dash of olive oil, salt and pepper. 2 packets of Greek yogurt and a tablespoon of mustard in it. Bacon left crispy. Roasted onions in the fat. Remove the onions and add butter to the fat for a nut butter and let the breadcrumbs and panko crisp up and add to the salad.

In addition there were chicken pieces in different spice mixtures and Krakauer.
IMG_2712.jpg
IMG_2714 2.jpg
IMG_2717.jpg
IMG_2720.jpg
IMG_2724 2.jpg
IMG_2732.jpg

You're right. The dish was a little freestyle and derived from that. I used skinless chicken breast instead of Lacks. I added finely chopped salmon to the salad. I used parsley instead of coriander. I replaced the red onions with shallots.

FOR THE SALMON

1 clove garlic
4-5 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tsp honey

APPLE SALAD

2 apples
2 small red onions
½ red chilli (seedless)
1 stalk of spring onions
Juice of half a lemon

MARINADE

½ tbsp ginger
1 clove of garlic
½ tbsp honey
Zest of half a lemon
Juice of half a lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt pepper

THAT'S HOW IT WORKS

I quarter and core the apples; then I use the mandolin to grate them into very fine slices, which I sprinkle with the juice of 1/2 a lemon so they don't turn brown. The red onions are peeled, halved lengthwise and also sliced into fine strips. I cut the spring onions into thin rings. I chop the chili, garlic and ginger into small to tiny cubes. I cut the salmon fillet into four pieces of about 100 grams each.
Now put the apple slices, the red onions, chili cubes and spring onions in a bowl.

For the marinade, I mix 1/2 tbsp ginger, garlic with 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp honey, zest and juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 3 tbsp olive oil. I season the marinade with salt and pepper and then add it to the apple salad. Fold in well and leave to infuse. Finely chopped coriander is only added when serving.

Meanwhile, I sauté the salmon in 3 tablespoons of olive oil over low heat. As soon as the salmon has colored on both sides but is still translucent on the inside, I take it out of the pan and put it in the oven at 50 degrees. Now I fry some diced garlic and add 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 4 – 5 tablespoons teriyaki sauce and 1 teaspoon honey to the pan. Stir once and boil down briefly. Now the salmon goes back into the pan. I toss it in the sauce for a few seconds and I'm ready to serve. In less than 30 minutes! I arrange the salad on the plate, place the fish next to it, drizzle with the teriyaki sauce and garnish with the coriander leaves. (If you don't like coriander, just use parsley.)

Der Johann, die alte Haut! 😂

I made some "Rote Bratwurst" (red Bratwurst) this weekend. It's something I remember from my teenage years in Munich and got nostalgic for. This is an emulsified sausage, similar to a Frankfurter, but consisting of half beef and half pork, and much more strongly spiced. It is also known as "Polnische" (Polish) or "Brühpolnische" (cooked Polish).

It's a lot of work to make because you have to grind the meat, emulsify it in a food processor, stuff it into casings, let it ripen for a day, then smoke it for an hour, and finally blanch it at 70 ºC for half an hour. All things that are equipment-heavy and require a lot of mucking around and clean-up. But, to me, it was worth it. Tastes just like what I remember from Munich :)

This is the sausage just after stuffing:

1660387428359.jpeg

After hanging out at room temperature for 24 hours, it looks like this:

1660387467550.jpeg

Next step is to smoke it for an hour at 60 ºC. At the end of that, the colour has deepened noticeably:

1660387533476.jpeg

Then the sausages go into a 70 ºC water bath for 30 minutes. After that (and having vacuum sealed a pair), they look like this:

1660387606613.jpeg

After all this, it's actually possible eat them. (Of course, they need to be fried first.) With "Bratkartoffeln" (fried potatoes) and a salad:

1660387686547.jpeg

It was a Pizza Friday. Pepperoni and pepperoni-onion-shrooms-greenPepper pizzas on sourdough pies and cooked in my crappy range oven.
Cheese was a mix of pizza mozza and gruyere (not the best mix, but still tasty).
B38EC304-020E-47BE-A68D-F3C5EBFB6AF1.jpeg

Last edited:

FOR THE SALMON

1 clove garlic
4-5 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tsp honey

APPLE SALAD

2 apples
2 small red onions
½ red chilli (seedless)
1 stalk of spring onions
Juice of half a lemon

MARINADE

½ tbsp ginger
1 clove of garlic
½ tbsp honey
Zest of half a lemon
Juice of half a lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt pepper

THAT'S HOW IT WORKS

Amazing, thanks so much for this very generous description @KDSDeluxe! I’m going to make this next week and will maybe display my inferior version herewith. 😂

Have a great weekend and thanks again!

Back