Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grilled pork loin sandwich on ciabatta with pesto mayo, arugula, EVOO, and balsamic glaze.
View attachment 199294

View attachment 199295

Sliced with a vintage 11” Sabatier.

View attachment 199293
This looks great.

But my main comment is this....

Isn't Arugula arguably the best all around green for salads, sandwiches, and impromptu meals?!?!?

Thw combination of satisfying leafy green, crunch, resistance to sogginess, and slight bitterness (that can easily be balanced in a composition)..

Well its pretty tough to beat in my book. Very important staple anywhere I cook!

That looks great, do you happen to have a recipe to share for this?

Indian food is one of my top 5 favorite cuisines.. And its great for lots of steel useage!

Madhur Jaffrey „Indian Cooking“.​

In fact, it’s 4 recipes from this book. This is such a great book. Not a single recipe from that book isn’t good. They’re all delicious!!!

If I had a link I’d happily share it. But I don’t feel comfortable posting pics I made out of a book due to copyright issues. I do recommend to buy this book though! It has made every single meal a pure joy and Indian food has become one of my favorites, too!

Last edited:
Well….that beef looks absolutely delicious and attackable. Not sure how you made your sesame dressing. There are tons of variations. But I find that sesame, especially tahini has some bitterness to it.Doesn’t look like you used tahini though. But I think that’s why all variations have some sort of sweetener added. Really nice meal tho.

Thank you. I did use tahini with a little peanut butter. I think I could've used more sugar as you said to offset the bitterness just a touch more and maybe adjust the tahini/PB ratio next time too. Tahini is still fairly new to me so I'm learning. It was good all the same but definitely will tweak in the future. :)

Thank you. I did use tahini with a little peanut butter. I think I could've used more sugar as you said to offset the bitterness just a touch more and maybe adjust the tahini/PB ratio next time too. Tahini is still fairly new to me so I'm learning. It was good all the same but definitely will tweak in the future. :)
This recipe makes a super yummy tahini sauce.

Terrible looking Turkish delights today. Don't know what happened, I will try to live with the shame.. Anyway, Kimyonlu Köfte buried under a parsley and red onion salad with kisir and haydari.
IMG_9364.JPG

I did use tahini with a little peanut butter. I think I could've used more sugar as you said to offset the bitterness just a touch more and maybe adjust the tahini/PB ratio next time too. Tahini is still fairly new to me so I'm learning.
Don’t use tahini in Asian recipes.
It’s bitter because it’s made from raw sesame seeds. Asians always use toasted sesame seeds, which are not bitter.
Peanut butter was a good idea. Many Chinese cooks use that as a substitute for roasted sesame.

I toast roasted sesame seeds in a dry pan and purée in a suribachi.
E7728167-166F-4F2C-BB97-895B99FCF5B6.jpeg

Made some last night for a toasted sesame dressing for cabbage served with shogayaki pork belly…
03075301-9D37-44DF-91C5-7E1F644B018A.jpeg
3B125381-788A-44E3-9749-C9EF8E261AF4.jpeg

Looks great, I never managed to really crisp the chicken so I will try that recipe next time!
It's a fun recipe where you can play with ingredients very easily, I have tried various types of dried red pepper but do prefer the somewhat larger ones from Sichuan...also because they are sometimes available pre cut and deseeded..

Looks great, I never managed to really crisp the chicken so I will try that recipe next time!
It's a fun recipe where you can play with ingredients very easily, I have tried various types of dried red pepper but do prefer the somewhat larger ones from Sichuan...also because they are sometimes available pre cut and deseeded..
Thanks Marcel! When you try it, make sure you only dribble a few tablespoons of the reserved marinade into the dry ingredients. I read lots of comments and some people wrecked the recipe by added ALL the reserved marinade. The actual recipe is misleading but if you read the whole preamble (which I never do, except with Kenji), it’s clearer. Also based on comments I doubled everything except the chicken.

And while I’m at it, here’s the link: The Best General Tso's Chicken Recipe

Hope you like it, look forward to the post! 😁

Autumn it is. Going through a few kgs of plums. YK 150 petty works great for this, I'm happy with this knife. The slanted design is ideal for a petty. It's as nimble as a 120, but the curved back gives it enough knuckle clearance to do some light chopping. Very versatile knife.

Plum jam and a cake are to follow soon :)

4H2A8942.jpg

Tarte aux prunes would be my favorite...
I agree :) There seems to be a few different recipes, but my original plan of making a shortcrust dough and laying the prunes on top seems to be pretty close to a tarte aux prunes
If I see it right, there are two ways of making it. One with just the shortcrust dough, the other one with a cream of eggs, sugar and sour cream. I might try both :)

Last edited:

I saw you said pickle salad, but did you pickle the cukes and fine chopped onions while everything else cooked?

And the meat looks a if there may be almost an inch or fat on the top and a thick vein in the lean portion. I've not been served any meat like that, and it looks really yummy.

I saw you said pickle salad, but did you pickle the cukes and fine chopped onions while everything else cooked?

And the meat looks a if there may be almost an inch or fat on the top and a thick vein in the lean portion. I've not been served any meat like that, and it looks really yummy.
The meat is pork belly. I first cook it on low heat for an hour with the skin side in homemade chicken broth. This will soften the skin first and then make it easier to cut. By cooking at a low temperature, I let the fat out of the meat. After that I turn the meat over and raise the temperature and it has to cook for another hour. Now put it in the oven again without liquid for 15 minutes with the grill function on the highest setting. There should be plenty of salt on the skin. Now the skin pops up like popcorn and gets really crispy. If done well, you don't take the fat any more than it was fat.

The cucumber salad is very simple. Cut and salt the cucumber and put it back in the fridge for about 30 minutes. This is how the cucumber water comes out. Then add onions and garlic. a cup of sour cream, 4 tablespoons of helen balsamic vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar. chives and season with salt and pepper. Very simple recipe as I know it from grandma ;)

Back