Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The meat is pork belly. I first cook it on low heat for an hour with the skin side in homemade chicken broth. This will soften the skin first and then make it easier to cut. By cooking at a low temperature, I let the fat out of the meat. After that I turn the meat over and raise the temperature and it has to cook for another hour. Now put it in the oven again without liquid for 15 minutes with the grill function on the highest setting. There should be plenty of salt on the skin. Now the skin pops up like popcorn and gets really crispy. If done well, you don't take the fat any more than it was fat.

The cucumber salad is very simple. Cut and salt the cucumber and put it back in the fridge for about 30 minutes. This is how the cucumber water comes out. Then add onions and garlic. a cup of sour cream, 4 tablespoons of helen balsamic vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar. chives and season with salt and pepper. Very simple recipe as I know it from grandma ;)
Only 1 thing to add about the cucumber salad:
The cucumber salad is very simple. Cut (or grate as coarsely as you like) and salt the cucumber and put it back in the fridge for about 30 minutes. This is how the cucumber water comes out. Then (take the cucumber mix into your hands and press out as much water as possible, then) add onions and garlic. a cup of sour cream (you can let it drain a few hours in a colander with kitchen paper; you can use yogurt, too), 4 tablespoons of helen balsamic vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar. chives and season with salt and pepper.

I made a batch of Hmong sausages today. It's a pork sausage flavored with lots of ginger, garlic, lemon grass, cilantro and birds eye chili. They are maturing in the fridge over night, so for dinner I used what was leftover in the stuffer to make a burger. Sausage meat patty, lettuce and a cucumber salsa with scallion, jalapeño and dill. It was pretty good..!
IMG_9405.JPG

The meat is pork belly. I first cook it on low heat for an hour with the skin side in homemade chicken broth. This will soften the skin first and then make it easier to cut. By cooking at a low temperature, I let the fat out of the meat. After that I turn the meat over and raise the temperature and it has to cook for another hour. Now put it in the oven again without liquid for 15 minutes with the grill function on the highest setting. There should be plenty of salt on the skin. Now the skin pops up like popcorn and gets really crispy. If done well, you don't take the fat any more than it was fat.

The cucumber salad is very simple. Cut and salt the cucumber and put it back in the fridge for about 30 minutes. This is how the cucumber water comes out. Then add onions and garlic. a cup of sour cream, 4 tablespoons of helen balsamic vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar. chives and season with salt and pepper. Very simple recipe as I know it from grandma ;)

Thank you. I think I'm going to have to try that.

Doing what I can with very limited cooking equipment: induction hob, carbon wok, one SS saucepan with no lid. Keto garlic (almond) bread, pan fried, served with 24h homemade ajitsuke tamago. Zero marks for plating but it ate up just fine.
Can't go wrong with eggs on toast..!

It's amazing how much difference dry brining makes. My pork chop could have done with a minute less in the pan but it was still juicy and tender. Just sprinkled it with salt last night and left it in the fridge. Had it with fried mushrooms, pickled shallots, arugula and 36 month aged parmigiano.
IMG_9409.JPG

This week

Wagyu ground beer burger with pickles and raclette cheese. Amazing
Spaghetti with shredded chicken thighs fried with onions salt and pepper in chicken shmaltz. Key here is to get chicken and onions brown, add good amount of pepper and just enough fat so that pasta is coated in flavorful fat but not dripping or has any left over at the bottom of the bowl. It's a very simple dish but needs few right amounts of ingredients and it's just so addictive.

2022-09-28 13.04.05.jpg

2022-09-29 18.20.37.jpg

Add a family friendly clown and you will achieve world domination.

I have high hopes for this. We will see in a couple of days..
View attachment 201156
How do you proof those? in the fridge I presume, or do you use a dedicated fermentation box?
When I do looooong proofing I abuse the bottom drawer in the tiny fridge in this temp house, but I need something more substantial...

How do you proof those? in the fridge I presume, or do you use a dedicated fermentation box?
When I do looooong proofing I abuse the bottom drawer in the tiny fridge in this temp house, but I need something more substantial...
5 hours room temp bulk. Then balled up and put in a proofing box in the fridge. We will see how it goes. I’m looking to cook them on sunday.

Back