Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 hours room temp bulk. Then balled up and put in a proofing box in the fridge. We will see how it goes. I’m looking to cook them on sunday.
they look great, so i have little doubt about the outcome! Sunday, hmm it;s a bit of drive but still ;-)
Guess I need a second fridge in the shed of the new house...and a proofing box, which is a great idea I never thought of! ( I have been using the sharpening water box I'm using to hold the sink bridge for dough, but it lacks a lid)

Last edited:
Been on a wok-cooking kick (mostly Chinese, mostly szechuan-leaning stuff). Woks are a great excuse to cut things into small pieces, not that we need one. Pulled out the beater-cleaver for the squash and just ended up using to prep everything. Got this one from some kitchen supply store in SF's Chinatown a few years back for $25 😁

The funky looking dish bottom-right is a stir-fry of squash (moschata var.), Chinese lamb bacon, and fermented garlic scapes. Turned out quite tasty, though I'd prob simplify the sauce if I did it again.
20220930_193237.jpg

Attachments

• 20220930_193237.jpg
    20220930_193237.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
In the early 1900s a cookie manufacturer started including collectible pictures of about anything in nature and one of the books was on Mushrooms....and the first edition language about the one in the picture was something like 'this mushroom yadiyada....and there are some despiccable people who use it for their pleasure to get a buzz, yadiyada and then the recipe to extract the active substance using milk''
Next editions did not contain that last bit...

In the early 1900s a cookie manufacturer started including collectible pictures of about anything in nature and one of the books was on Mushrooms....and the first edition language about the one in the picture was something like 'this mushroom yadiyada....and there are some despiccable people who use it for their pleasure to get a buzz, yadiyada and then the recipe to extract the active substance using milk''
Next editions did not contain that last bit...
Sounds good 🌈👀🧠😂

This was step 1 of patatas bravas, which felt like it took all day, but was worth it.

5C3754B5-FE38-4308-9EC1-F93147B27E00.jpeg

Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH-06 270mm sujihiki with coffee patina was, as one would expect, unusably thick BTE for onions and potatoes, so I switched to my (thinner and only) gyuto, an unassuming Sakai Kikumori 210mm in (I believe) yellow or SK steel. Logging the recipe as a note to myself but this is not to say it’s any better than any other recipe out there, just what I did.

1kg Russet potatoes, peeled, diamond cubed into lozenges, steamed until surface tender but not mushy, approx 2m then given the opportunity to dry off, optionally cooled and refrigerated for a bit of retrogradation. (Most recipes say boil the potatoes in high pH. I find that boiling runs too close to mashed and the loose starch burns in the fryer.)
500g ordinary tomatoes, chopped with your best 1000 grit edge
Tomato paste, from the store
Hot smoked paprika powder. Mild smoked paprika powder. e.g. La Chinata’s Pimentón de la Vera
1 onion fine and/or handful of small shallots fine
1 head garlic, germ removed since we have all day
Handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
Light olive oil
Lemon juice
Bacon bits or any other ham optional
Herbs like rosemary, thyme, etc

Deep-fry potato chunks until brown and crisp, approx 15–30m per batch; lower the heat near the end so the outsides crisp lots without burning. I had excess moisture so it took way longer than it should have. Add half of available alliums near end of cooking to soften and brown. Crispiness is enhanced by external par-cooked layer, as in British roast potatoes. Salt.

While potatoes are cooking, start tomato sauce on second burner. Reduce on low, approx 10–20m. After tomatoes are reduced, add a spoon of hot and a spoon of smoked paprika powder; add squirt of tomato paste to taste.

While tomatoes are cooking, make aioli using lemon juice, garlic, oil using whatever blender or mortar or whisk is handy.

Optionally, rinse blender. Then blend tomato mix.

Toss potatoes with tomato sauce and herbs while singing the song. Plate, then squirt on the aioli artfully. (I couldn’t do “artfully” because my emulsion broke.) Top with remaining raw alliums and chopped (cherry) tomatoes for freshness.

Serves one.

Photo shows Yukon golds, which are Plan B if you don’t have Russets.

3A48552F-A2C4-4EDB-950B-EB28DEB4B9B0.jpeg

Last edited:
"Schwarzbierbraten" (black beer roast). This is a roast made from pork collar, cured for a day, and then packed into a ham press. Lot's of nice spices in there, including almost black beer (hence the name). After cooking (sous vide), the roast goes into the oven for a bit to give it some crust.

It's difficult to describe what it tastes like. Baked ham comes close, but without the sweetness. There is no sugar or honey involved. Instead, spices are salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, and lots of marjoram.
1664704526917.jpeg

1664704557948.jpeg

Sourdough pizza #2. Still not the airy crust I'm looking for. I suspect I'm being impatient and using my starter before it's active. I'm completely new to using sourdough. On a positive note, the fennel salami topped with pickled red onion and buffalo mozzarella was really yummy.
IMG_9453.JPG

@Lars, looks quite good to me!
This may be the area where the manual labor is tricky, I found that after finding the best flour (for me), good yeast, using high hydration the manual processing is yet another key element (as is oven temperature, my best results were in a screaming hot oven, flashbaking the dough so it puffs up and sets when puffed up)
I'm sure you'll inch your way to success, just takes a lot of pizza nights :)

My cat tells me that's an Amanita Muscaria not a P. Cubensis! 😁 Apparently (my cat says) psychoactive, but also potentially quite dangerous.
that is what is called Vliegenzwam in Dutch, that is pyschoactive too (the estraction using milk)
I was referring to what looked to be a whitish gray P Cubensis in the first picture (way too big but still)

I plan to start doing some mushroom picking, I used to have a supplier with a wide range of (edible) mushrooms nearby and I miss the different varieties.....wish me luck ;-)

looking a bit like those
image6-1-700x454.jpg

"Schwarzbierbraten" (black beer roast). This is a roast made from pork collar, cured for a day, and then packed into a ham press. Lot's of nice spices in there, including almost black beer (hence the name). After cooking (sous vide), the roast goes into the oven for a bit to give it some crust.

It's difficult to describe what it tastes like. Baked ham comes close, but without the sweetness. There is no sugar or honey involved. Instead, spices are salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, and lots of marjoram.
View attachment 201295

View attachment 201296

very very cool/inspiring.

1/2 duck breast left over from saturday, that wonky looking potato hiding in the bottom of the fridge, a couple of wrinkled siri pepper and an onion made a really nice plate of Biksemad today. With the obligatory pickled beets and fried egg on the side..
IMG_9456.JPG

Buddy came over with some fresh “hen of the woods” he foraged.. did a spin on bo ssam.. Boston letttuce, sushi rice, waygu chop, cuke, julienne raw carrots, the mushrooms rendered in the beef fat, jammy egg, kewpie, and boon. Came out nice.

Also, the latest loaf. Little toasty.. still adjusting to this gas oven.

Attachments

• 048F7BB6-CB4F-4DE4-8A15-B7CB27105240.jpeg
    048F7BB6-CB4F-4DE4-8A15-B7CB27105240.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • E3F4E8FA-3018-4D1E-80F3-0F629102017A.jpeg
    E3F4E8FA-3018-4D1E-80F3-0F629102017A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
1. Made some delicious beef tamales yesterday, classic recipe, so satisfying
2. Fried in my wok some tortilla chips (not shown), and tried out "Fry Away" oil solidifier to dispose of the used Canola oil -- worked great! Just turn off the hob, stir in the powder to the still hot oil, and an hour later you've got a gelatinoid frisbie to fling into the garbage can.

IMG_4672.jpeg

IMG_4668.jpeg

IMG_4673.jpeg

IMG_4674.jpeg

Last edited:
Back