Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pasta with broccoli, anchovies, garlic, chili and parmigiano cheese.
View attachment 220825
Denmark won the Bocuse D’Or again and here we have Lars and his wonderful daily meals……destination Denmark…layover in Norway….foodie nations😋. As interesting and intense as the competition is tho….I’m as focused on what knives they use as I am with their presentations🤷‍♂️

Denmark won the Bocuse D’Or again and here we have Lars and his wonderful daily meals……destination Denmark…layover in Norway….foodie nations😋. As interesting and intense as the competition is tho….I’m as focused on what knives they use as I am with their presentations🤷‍♂️
Never thought I would be mentioned in the same sentence as Bocuse D’Or!

Roast pork shoulder with orange and cumin. Patatas a lo pobre. Spinach with raisins and sunflower seeds.
IMG_0884.JPG

Spinach with raisins and sunflower seeds. @Lars Can you tell me more about this? I've never heard of raisins in spinach. Do you use dark raisins, or yellow raisins?

Man, you guys rock! Michi beat me with the lobster, but I'll submit king salmon off cast iron, mashed organic Yukons with garlic and green beans (gotta mix them in), broiled salted garlic bread, + soy, tartar, and ginger on the side, with help from my "new to me" Maillet ...Galliano/rocks/ twist for desert.
20230126_182011.jpg
20230126_182405.jpg

Last edited:
Spinach with raisins and sunflower seeds. @Lars Can you tell me more about this? I've never heard of raisins in spinach. Do you use dark raisins, or yellow raisins?
I used dark raisins, simply because that's what I found in my cupboard. You could sub for yellow no problem. You could also use pine nuts instead of sunflower seeds. You get sweet fruitiness from the raisins and nutty crunch from the seeds. Here is how I made it..

Wilt spinach in a dry pan and tip into a colander. Squeeze out excess moisture.
Wipe out pan and sauté a little finely chopped shallot and garlic in olive oil over medium low heat until soft and sweet.
Add the raisins and seeds and cook for a minute more. Put the spinach back in the pan to heat through and mix everything together. Season with salt and pepper.

Bon appetit.

given the Spinach and raisin triggered me, I'm not a great spinach lover but I once had sauteed spinach with ginger some garlic and a good dollop of lobster butter in an Italian place in Austria.
Have made it several times and there is something to it that makes it special (at least to me)

given the Spinach and raisin triggered me, I'm not a great spinach lover but I once had sauteed spinach with ginger some garlic and a good dollop of lobster butter in an Italian place in Austria.
Have made it several times and there is something to it that makes it special (at least to me)
One of our 'surprise discoveries' from finishing up leftovers in the christmas holidays:
-some slices of dried ham (serrano in our case but could be parma or just about anything), cut up in to small pieces
-conference pears, peeled and finely cubed
-spinach, cut it up a bit so its a bit finer
-finely cut cubes of feta

Just start a saute pan with butter, fry up the ham first, then toss in the pears, then the spinach, then the feta. Surprisingly tasty for how stupid easy it is - and I'm saying that as someone who's also not really thrilled about spinach.

Never thought I'd get used to kale till tried curly kale with miso dressing. We taste sweet, sour, bitter, spicy hot. Since for health reasons cut out most processed foods, sugar & high use of salt. Many spices are healthy of coarse we need some salt still eat whole fruits for sweet fiber. Things like raisins mix in salads, oatmeal trail mix.

Miso and Bitter Melon aquire tastes. Will never give up butter. Bitter melon is super healthy Chinese have known this for centuries. Many asian cultures use it. I learned to like it when co worker used to cook it up with eggplant, onions, & pork. I clean out seeds & some of white under the thick skin soak it so less bitter more for her than me. She eats it when I make it.

I had the idea that putting the sink on the rear counter and the stove on the island lets you f2f the diners more eusocially, but maybe I’ve eaten too much teppanyaki.
we dabbled over that one too, but finally decided we wanted some social sitting space on the island for an occasional spectator but no dining...all probably depends on with how many you are...dinner with 4 is different then dinner with 6-7 or 8

I had the idea that putting the sink on the rear counter and the stove on the island lets you f2f the diners more eusocially, but maybe I’ve eaten too much teppanyaki.
Not a fan because:
-ventilation is a problem
-no backsplash means you're just getting your island dirty everytime you fry or saute anything

And most importantly... you're not a teppanyaki restaurant. TV cooking shows use this setup simply because it's convenient for filming. Putting chairs or stools at the island is nice, but you don't actually need the stove on your island to be able to socialize around your kitchen island.

FWIW... having lived with a boring island with nothing but blank countertop for a few years now (simply because it was the cheapest solution), I'm not sure I'd put my sink there either. It's actually quite nice having a 180x120cm slab of flat workspace.

Back