What's in your bag?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just broken the tip of my fujiwara today.
Was To sharp and it got stuck inside the chopboard 😤😤😤😤😤

Knifenut problems. Blade too sharp cuts board like butter

Just broken the tip of my fujiwara today.
Was To sharp and it got stuck inside the chopboard 😤😤😤😤😤

Same thing happened to my haburn just yesterday :(

These knives have exceptionally thin grind near the tip? My new carbonext (boring, i know) is pleasantly thin at the tip and now im worried -_-

Technique is more important than the grind, especially on those poly cutting boards. Never twist it when the tip is in contact, the grooves of the board easily catch it. Use less pressure.

Oh we just use hi soft at work for cutting. Would that be worse than poly?

Hi soft is much better than regular poly. Lucky to have it in your kitchen! Some are softer than others depending on brand so if you feel the tip digging in, adjust your pressure. You don't want to twist the knife while the tip is dug in. In this case it's good to move the product into the knife, not the knife into the product.

As long as you don't raise the heel too high (each knife has a different limit) you won't have an issue. This is when rocking, which is most dangerous for the tip.

If you're chopping instead of rocking you're pretty safe. Chopping has it's own faults but breaking the tip is a rare one. It usually just dulls your knives quicker (rolling the edge) and it's hard on the wrist.

I chop lightly and in combination with the hi soft even after a few days not sharpening i can still shave. I dont usually slice things with the tip but i will keep these tips in mind.

Knives holidays bag. 😁
I ll be in Italy for one month and I am planning to break down two suckling pigs plus cooking for 20 people in two dinner occasion . Hope it will be enough 😂 😂

Kato workhorse gyuto 240 mm
Tojiro bread knife
Yoshimitsu blue #2 gyuto Damascus 240 mm
Fujiwara gyuto 210 mm
Chinese cleaver
Shibata bunka 180 mm
Haruma honyaki 270 yanagiba
Glastin honesuki 150 mm
Takeda parrer
Zester, thermometer, tong, peeler
They are not in the pics but I will have also
Kato petty 150 mm workhorse
Kato petty-suji 210 mm workhorse
(both my last buy)
I will bring with me some stones also

Naniwa lobster 220 #
Takeda hand stone 800#1200#
Chosera 3000#
Jns shoubo fine stone

1467623564260.jpg

Wow, you weren't kidding about your holiday bag! I think you are missing a knife in the photo indeed...:wink:

Knives holidays bag. [emoji16]
I ll be in Italy for one month and I am planning to break down two suckling pigs plus cooking for 20 people in two dinner occasion . Hope it will be enough [emoji23] [emoji23]

Kato workhorse gyuto 240 mm
Tojiro bread knife
Yoshimitsu blue #2 gyuto Damascus 240 mm
Fujiwara gyuto 210 mm
Chinese cleaver
Shibata bunka 180 mm
Haruma honyaki 270 yanagiba
Glastin honesuki 150 mm
Takeda parrer
Zester, thermometer, tong, peeler
They are not in the pics but I will have also
Kato petty 150 mm workhorse
Kato petty-suji 210 mm workhorse
(both my last buy)
I will bring with me some stones also

Naniwa lobster 220 #
Takeda hand stone 800#1200#
Chosera 3000#
Jns shoubo fine stone

Nice set but through that analogue thermometer in the trash. Pick up a thermopen and you'll never look back.

any cool projects you were working on that you needed 2 different gyutos? :D
i miss actual cooking, all i seem to be doing lately is prep.

i have a miz honyaki 240 of my own coming my way soon also.

No, nothing cool. Training a new menu. Absolutely no need for two gyutos. Pretty much just needed the Mario the measuring spoons and the scale.

I'm interested to see how you like the Mizuno Honyaki. I would love to see a choil shot of a brand new one.

Light day & Light kit to end a long ass week

- Itinomonn 210 Kasumi (In the kit most days & takes a beating)
- Kochi 210 V2 Petty
- Shig KU Santoku
- E Dehillerin Nogent Petty
*JAW Leather Knife Roll

New petty came in the mail today! Figure i'd show off the roll now that it's here

From left to right;
- Tojiro DP Serrated 215mm
- Tojiro Stainless Nakiri 165mm
- Masakage Koishi Gyuto 210mm
- Shiro Kamo R2 Gyuto 240mm
- Kanehiro AS Sujihiki 270mm
- Masanobu Petty 110mm
The roll is from ProperApronCompany, love it to death ! :cheffry:
90162af69e86499a90a1dad09d37c152.gif

This week was all robin dalman 240 gyuto and masakage mizu 75 petty.

I dont know how people use their expensive knives on the line, my line knife usually ends up underneath a hotel pan or on the other side of the kitchen somehow after the rush.

sorry, the photo quality from my phone is actually quite good, however I guess I shake every time I take a pic and they end up blurry, can't be arsed to pull everything out again for another photo atm.

should be fairly obvious what everything is.

click for higher res

Try clicking as you exhale. It's like shooting, you just spaz less when you are exhaling. If that doesn't work, brace your elbows on your ribs, and click as you exhale.

Back