What's involved importing a kitchen knife into Australia?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Calling all Aussies who have purchased kitchen knives from outside Australian borders!

I'm interested in hearing about your experiences of purchasing from overseas knife shops / makers. The foreign transaction I'm fairly clear on: find knife, purchase knife in foreign currency. It's what happens next that I'm less clear on:
  • The overseas knife shop / maker would organise postage (at the purchasers expense) which could be either regular postal service (e.g. USPS, Japan Post, etc) or courier service (e.g. FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc).
  • I'm guessing that the sender (in this case the overseas knife shop / maker) would fill out the customs declaration about contents (e.g. kitchen knife) and value (e.g. foreign currency value).
  • Then when it hits Australian customs and quarantine, is there associated import paperwork required by the purchaser to import a fixed single edge blade into the country (as border force suggest you'd have to declare such an item if you were walking it into Australia: https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/weapons)? Or is the senders declaration sufficient?
  • I'm assuming customs would want their slice of the action, so there'd be import duties and taxes payable on the imported kitchen knife? How does that work? Do they send you a bill? Or do you have to lodge paperwork in advance?
  • Any good or bad experiences with different postal methods / couriers?
  • Anything else that is important that I've missed?

I've purchased two knives this year. One from the US and one from Japan. In both cases DHL express was used. Each cost me about $40AUD in shipping and I've seen higher, so it adds a fair bit to the cost : / . After I had paid for the knife and shipping, that was it. I followed the tracking and they were delivered. In both cases it took about 5 business days. Super simple.

I've purchased two knives this year. One from the US and one from Japan. In both cases DHL express was used. Each cost me about $40AUD in shipping and I've seen higher, so it adds a fair bit to the cost : / . After I had paid for the knife and shipping, that was it. I followed the tracking and they were delivered. In both cases it took about 5 business days. Super simple.

Thanks 4wa1l - Were they knives with lower AUD equivalent values? <AUD$1000? <AUD$300?

Both were about AUD$450. I guess things might be different if the order is above $1000.

They're going to cop GST irrespective of the value relative to $1K these days, unless you're somehow very fortunate.

So it’s just paying the feds their slice of pie? How would they actually charge me? Do they contact me with a bill? Or do I have to submit paperwork?
Usually the courier company will bill you if it hasn't already been paid at the source, but I haven't actually done a not-already-paid import for a while. I have a couple of knives on the way, but you'll probably find out before me, I suspect :cool:

Same experience here, also with DHL

There are a lot of different circumstances and variables regarding GST, including I believe the country from which something's being sent. There's also an element of luck involved; I've never had to pay anything here, but I have had it happen to me in the UK. And you get billed by the delivery company, you'll probably also have to pay an admin fee. Here's a confusing website that doesn't really give many straight answers: Information for consumers

Also - do get the sender to mark the correct value. Aside from a legality standpoint, nothing is likelier to irk the taxman more than the idea that somebody is trying to dupe him!

If the knife is over $1000AUD it can be pretty annoying. It's better to go with DHL in this case because you avoid the 'storage and insurance' costs (usually about 15% of the value) while you sort out the paperwork and arrange payment of duties. It's also significantly faster because DHL will email, while auspost will send you a letter which takes weeks. This year, every knife over $1000 from overseas for me has resulted in it being stopped by customs. In the past, it was maybe five percent of the time.

Also, auspost are absolutely clear that the GST and customs fees are based on the total sale cost (shipping, fees and value of the item and require the sales receipt), whereas DHL seem to go by the declared value on the package. It's a small amount of difference, but can add up.

Note: this is my experience, YMMV

Last edited:
If the knife is over $1000AUD it can be pretty annoying. It's better to go with DHL in this case because you avoid the 'storage and insurance' costs (usually about 15% of the value) while you sort out the paperwork and arrange payment of duties. It's also significantly faster because DHL will email, while auspost will send you a letter which takes weeks. This year, every knife over $1000 from overseas for me has resulted in it being stopped by customs. In the past, it was maybe five percent of the time.

Also, auspost are absolutely clear that the GST and customs fees are based on the total sale cost (shipping, fees and value of the item and require the sales receipt), whereas DHL seem to go by the declared value on the package. It's a small amount of difference, but can add up.

Note: this is my experience, YMMV

Thanks Moooza!
Sounds like a courier might end up a bit of a simpler option.

I have always just purchased and hoped for the best and never had a customs issue - I haven't had a knife over $1000......yet

Australia Post can provide a US shipping address - i haven't used them yet but it seems like a good setup for to pay GST etc.

https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/
I prefer to take the Hunger games approach - may the odds be ever be in your favour!

You may buy knives and whetstone from Sun E Hamono Shop from Hong Kong .
VG10 gyuto 210mm just about Aud 200.

As said above, most courier and big online stores take GST for the gov.

In my experience, I have things coming in from overseas with normal post service shipping with full declared value (More than $1k) for insurance purposes. Never been hit by customs. It’s very hit and miss.

Definitely not as strict as the other countries out there.

Also, keep in mind, not all knives can be legally imported. Kitchen knives is okay but there are many restrictions on the other types. Best to check the customs website first.

I can give you a live update on the current situation because I have a package on its way from JCK via DHL Express.
Based on the tracking it took 2 days Japan to Aus.

It's due next week so could give you an update then.

So far I been let say lucky never paid anything extra. Only the prize of the knife plus shipping. Nothing extra been added for knives over 1000$ aud

Oh and, as mentioned above if you're ordering from Japan everything is being sent by courier atm (I've had three via DHL). Which is more expensive than normal post, but it's quick - mine took a week or less.

And just to confirm one of your original questions - all paperwork will be handled by the sender and courier, you won't have to do anything unless they ask you to pay some tax. And even then it's just a matter of paying, no further paperwork required from you.

Back