What's it like in Arlington, TX?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have never been down there, not even close, but just sent a job application to that university. Is anybody in that area? What is it like to live there?

Stefan

It's great, they have both the Texas Ranger, and the Dallas cowboys in Arlington, the UTA campus is growing by leaps and bounds. It is in between Fort Worth and Dallas so you have both metroplexes just a short drive away.

It's a heck of a lot hotter in the summer than you are used to and a heck of a lot colder in the winter than you are used too. LOL. I really like the greater Dallas Ft. Worth area. I have a lot of family scattered around there and teach a class down there every other year. If you are a baseball / football fan - you are set. I really like some of the suburbs just north of there - Colleyville especially.

I believe that Eamon is just northwest of Arlington - could get some pointers from him I'm sure.

The timing on this thread is pretty good. I was offered a job in Lewisville (somewhere outside Dallas). I'll be out there in 2 weeks to check out the area and talk about the details of the job.

Your carbon knives and pans won't rust so easily, much less humid than where you are at now. That goes in the "Pro" column, right?

Aren't most things (food for example) pretty expensive in Hawaii? The cost of living in Arlington has got to be significantly lower than Honolulu. Of course, Arlington is not routinely referred to as "paradise" like the Hawaiian islands...

You also have Babe's fried chicken and chicken fried steak which is to die for!

I lived in Arlington for years. Come on down, Stefan!

Here's the deal: Arlington is not a great place to live, unless you live south of I-20 or North of I-30. It's very hot and dry in the summer, and the winters are either super mild(like this one) or crazy(two years ago we had a blizzard).

I grew up in Texas, have never lived elsewhere, and when I moved to DFW, I felt like I moved to the Texas on television--women in boots and skirts, men in hats and string ties, huge cars, bbq and steak houses on every street, strip clubs scattered about, "beer and a shot" bars, mega churches, etc.

Arlington is the largest city in America with absolutely no means of public transportation.

It's also home to the most advanced, impressive sporting arena in the world.

As far as food goes, it's got a pretty strong Vietnamese showing, so there's some good hole-in-the-wall places, but again, you'll want to venture out of Arlington proper for recreation. I live in in a noisy, ghetto-ass apartment in North Richland Hills and am moving this month to a really safe, nice, quaint neighborhood in Hurst--2 miles away.

I live here! We can hang out. I need a drinking buddy...err fellow craftsman...

Cool, thanks. Definitely different to Hawaii, but then everything is... I can easily see myself with a cowboy hat except while driving my convertible :). The two things that worry me a bit is that I am a damn liberal who may stand out in Texas and that I am trying to lose weight which based on the food examples may be impossible ;) Definitely better for my carbon steel items, though. We will see. I also sent one out to Cleveland, OH, today. I found out yesterday that I did not get the job I had hoped for in Hawaii. So, now I either have to leave Hawaii if I want to stay in academia or leave academia to stay in Hawaii. Decisions, decisions...

Stefan

P.S. Thanks Eamon, we were writing at the same time. I am wondering about the price level in Texas. Things can be pretty expensive out here, but once you find out where to go, you can get along fine. Just everything around housing is steep. Gotta find out how much money I need to make to live comfortably out there...

Oh yeah, the most important thing is that it's in Texas. Which is, by far, the best Country on the continent.

Stefan I'm trying to picture you in a cowboy hat? :D

crazyhat.jpg

Just found a calculator to compare the cost of living between cities in the US on CNN:

If you move from Honolulu, HI to Arlington, TX....

Groceries will cost: 41%less
Housing will cost: 64% less
Utilities will cost: 25% less
Transportation will cost: 22% less
Healthcare will cost: 12% less

If you move from Honolulu, HI to Cleveland, OH....

Groceries will cost: 33% less
Housing will cost: 63% less
Utilities will cost: 26% less
Transportation will cost: 20% less
Healthcare will cost: 13% less

Mmmhh, that doesn't sound so bad. More money to buy wood...

Stefan

See, Arlington is cheaper. Move here.

I just played around with that calculator - EVERY place in the US is cheaper than Honolulu, except NYC and a few other places where housing is as absurd as out here or more. Based on that calculator, maybe I should move to Fargo :) They actually have a job opening there...

Stefan

Just found a calculator to compare the cost of living between cities in the US on CNN:

If you move from Honolulu, HI to Arlington, TX....

Groceries will cost: 41%less
Housing will cost: 64% less
Utilities will cost: 25% less
Transportation will cost: 22% less
Healthcare will cost: 12% less

If you move from Honolulu, HI to Cleveland, OH....

Groceries will cost: 33% less
Housing will cost: 63% less
Utilities will cost: 26% less
Transportation will cost: 20% less
Healthcare will cost: 13% less

Mmmhh, that doesn't sound so bad. More money to buy wood...

Stefan

What site has this calculator?

Yup...my fathers birth certificate had "Republic of Texas" on it.

I just played around with that calculator - EVERY place in the US is cheaper than Honolulu, except NYC and a few other places where housing is as absurd as out here or more. Based on that calculator, maybe I should move to Fargo :) They actually have a job opening there...

Stefan

I could think of worse places to live...

I would avoid Fargo unless you plan on becoming a Duck / Pheasant hunter / Conservative. You think the surfing sucks in Arlington... All I will say about Fargo is that there is nothing to stop the wind from the time it leaves the rockies so it can be a bit breezy - not to mention cold for your standards.

Hey, hey. Fargo isn't that bad. With three colleges in town and North Dakota having the best economy in the nation, they probably have things open. And if you want real cash go out west to the oil fields. Btw, most of my family is from there (2/3 of them are conservative and 1/3 are hunters). It is cold and windy, but no more so than where I live now.

As for the Dallas area, from an outside perspective I think the traffic really sucks. Since Texas doesn't have a state income tax, it always seems like roads take 3x longer to fix and they are always one lane short of what they need. That interstate to Austin is a death trap.

k.

Back