What's steeping? A tea thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great thread topic! I'm currently drinking Ti Guan Yin Oolong. I was a fellow 12-15 coffee cupper, but doc said I had to get the blood pressure down. So, I still drink coffee, just not in the same volume.

Was raised drinking tea growing up, so wasn't a big deal. I'm excited for summertime in the Sacramento Valley when it's going to be +110F. It's all barley tea all day long.

I’m really enjoying these jasmine tea pearls at the moment, very delicate and floral:
308D9245-93FA-411F-92E0-24D84B6EB869.jpeg
My wife is loving the hipster blends of French earl grey with the peel, corn flowers, rose petals and lavender.

Got a bit into tea as of lately, after working in coffee and a bit into wine it is a real nice change in flavour and technique!

I have two chinese greens atm:
Song Zhen Lü cha
Emeishan Yinzhen

One great oolong:
Tie Guan Yin Nong from south Fujian

And one great Sencha but have ordered some more and a better kyusu because Japanese greens are for sure my favourite:
Sencha Hachijuhachiya-tsumi tokujou

IMG_4041.JPG
IMG_4138.JPG
IMG_4139.JPG

View attachment 167649

We had a little online tea conference the other day. Hopefully next year it will be in person. Was a sort of meet and greet for a few people that run tea businesses in Texas.
If any of those businesses are in Houston, let me know! I’d love to find and support a great local tea business.

There was one or two, but I didn't write them down. If one pops in my head ill let you know.

Apologies for the dumb question:
Does anyone know anything about Japanese Yunomi?
If so, PM me please as I’d love to learn more about the different styles of pottery, different potters still making traditional tea cups, different clays and glazes used, and which are recommended for tea.
School me!

Reviving this thread with a twist. I'd be curious what tea pots people have been using. The variety displayed in everyone's posts of their favorite teas has me curious given the variety. Thanks!

I'll start. I'm currently using a Kinto Pebble and a Kinto Leaves to Tea. Certainly not as fancy as some in this thread, but they get the job done.

Apologies for the dumb question:
Does anyone know anything about Japanese Yunomi?
If so, PM me please as I’d love to learn more about the different styles of pottery, different potters still making traditional tea cups, different clays and glazes used, and which are recommended for tea.
School me!

yes. they are like guinomi except too big for gongfu. ;)
PM'd!

Hello, So for the life of me I cannot remember what these type of strainer/diffuser this is. I'm looking for a replacement, it has a 2.5" ring and sits inside standard US pots perfectly.

I'm sure someone here knows the correct terms because searching tea strainer for loose tea brings up pretty much every type but these. A lot of them have 'wings' which I can't use with my pot.

Thanks!
20220516_123708.jpg
20220516_123717.jpg

Happy Mug seems well regarded over in the espresso thread, curious if anyone has tried their teas?

Updating to say that I decided to try a variety of teas from Happy Mug since I was ordering coffee anyway and their prices are very reasonable. I ordered Earl Grey, Dragonwell, Harmony Green blend, White Peach, Apples and Oranges Herbal Tea and Water Sprite Oolong. I’ve tried everything except the Oolong so far and have been really pleased with the quality. Would definitely recommend trying them out if you’re curious, especially if you’re also ordering coffee which has also been excellent

Yes I have tried some of their tee as well and have enjoyed it. Where does everyone else like to shop? Way way before espresso, starting at least 15 years ago I was very into tea first. I should get back into it. When I was in college, my go to retailer was a shop called what-cha in the UK, looks like they are still around. I would always get a big hand written note thanking me for my order, and a long description of each tea which I loved.

We usually order from Arbor Teas. Mostly sencha or the better dragonwell.

Where does everyone else like to shop?

for what kinda tea?

the closest to a one-stop-shop that i can think of with actually decent teas is hojo.
HOJO's Available Lineup of Teapot in Japan (link to most up-to-date price list pdf near the top of the page)

the ordering experience is kind of absurd, though. you gotta read a pdf and then email him, lol.

I don't think I can because like I said I like everything. If I had to pick a few, I like a fruitier mellow white, a nice oolong...green that isn't super grassy. I always like a good Darjeeling

Back