whats the best bowl of ramen in new york?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i'll be visiting for a few days next month and want to have mind blowing ramen.

to give some perspective of my preferences, my all time favorite is the spicy miso from daikaya in DC. sapporo style pork and chicken combo broth with white miso blended in and some spice. what takes it up a notch for me is the char from wok fried sprouts+onion+ground pork

My favorites:

Mokbar (in the Chelsea Market) - you'll like their kimchi ramen if you like yours spicy
Ivan Ramen - my favorite is the Triple Pork, Triple Garlic or Chicken Paitan, but they have a spicy option as well
Mu Ramen (Brooklyn)
Ippudo
Totto

Lots to explore...

Sure, sorry for the rushed post

Ivan Ramen - it's all about balance, all of their options (the 3-4 I have tried) have tons of flavor but in a balanced, delicate way. In the best sense of Japanese cooking. The Triple Garlic, Tripple Pork, for example, comes in a rich tonkotsu broth with tons of pork and garlic but it's balanced by a citrus/acidity touch. The broth is clean, not fatty. It's mazemen which I love (less broth). Ivan is also known for its Shio Ramen. The broth is lighter in texture than most, but very savory and mineral (lots of dashi and powdered katsuo)

They have amazing craft beers also

Mokbar - ramen with a Korean touch (kimchi...). Very balanced and well made

Ippudo - I love their tonkotsu broth... Like Ivan's, it's full of flavor but very clean and not fatty. Their buns are great too

Totto - lighter, chicken-based broth

Mu Ramen - I haven't been there but the story is interesting, former Per Se guy, got some great reviews

Ramen Lab is an absolute must visit, see their schedule online to see who is cooking that month

Timely topic. I’ll be in nyc in two weeks. Have a solo dinner night before boss gets in. I’ll be staying across from the Rockefeller center though (not my choice.). Thanks for the suggestions.

Panda this place Damage recommended is so you. Now thats ramen w flavor.
you would think so personality wise, but my taste in food i prefer bold but clean flavors, not a big fan of the funky stuff. for example i hate dry aged beef and any strong cheese. that non blanching of moldy bones really grosses me out, lol. that place is entirely way too hipster for me. my favorite broths are predominantly chicken and not too much pork. for stews it is entirely opposite i like very deep flavor more so than crispness.

Momofuku noodle bar in Toronto is right up there. I know David Chang started out in New York. His TV show is pretty good about his inspirations and such.

you would think so personality wise, but my taste in food i prefer bold but clean flavors, not a big fan of the funky stuff. for example i hate dry aged beef and any strong cheese. that non blanching of moldy bones really grosses me out, lol. that place is entirely way too hipster for me. my favorite broths are predominantly chicken and not too much pork. for stews it is entirely opposite i like very deep flavor more so than crispness.
If you ever come to Denmark, you need to check out Slurp Ramen in Copenhagen. I go there as often as I can. Super clean soup with very well defined flavor, perfect chashu, and by far the best noodles I've ever had. Sounds like it would be right up your alley. Sadly, I've only been to New York once, so the only ramen I know of in that area is what I occasionally see or read about online.

front runner for me right now looks to be totto

Ippudo is probably the best bowl of tonkotsu ramen I've had.

We tried going to Totto ramen as well but it was a little too packed when we tried, so we just had Ippudo 2x on our trip.

Yakitori Totto is a good spot as well

I would agree ippudo is very good, consistent and normally turns over quick enough you won’t have to wait for hours. Also has some fun dishes aside from the ramen which are good,

Minca is also very good along with Ramen-Ya

my favorite broths are predominantly chicken and not too much pork.

Ipuddo is one of my favorite ramen, even when I worked in Japan. It's definitely porky...but clean flavors and really fine noodles.

The best chicken broth ramen is the tori-paitan tsuke-soba at Ginza Kagari in Tokyo. It's worth the effort!
The original shop closed & moved under Ginza Station. We didn't try the new location this trip...because we ate at Ipuddo...

would love to see this guy make a ramen

We've been doing a D'Artagnan chicken (our grocery store carries them) on the rotisserie on Saturdays. Towel off and let dry in fridge for a while. The salt inside and out with kosher. Pierce skin all over, throw on rotisserie, baste with butter and let it cook. Chicken comes out amazing. Point being, we use the bones and such the next day in a noodle broth, along with left over meat for the soup. Makes a great broth.

thanks guys, i havent had a truly great tonkotsu one yet so i'll check out ippudo.

erickso, where is 'we'? unfortunately i am heading to jersey shore on the weekend during my trip.

Chef's Table on Netflix has an episode on Ivan Orkan (Ivanramen) which dives into his influences etc. S.3, Ep. 4.

oh my god, this dude is jewish version of me. i must try ivan's original shio ramen.

after eating hot dogs and burgers and drinking bud light all day, i got a craving for ramen while watching this. made myself an instant bowl to get that fix :D

my favorite broths are predominantly chicken and not too much pork.

Need to try the take-away window at Hearth, “Brodo”, 200 1st Ave. You can get a seasoned cup for sipping, or unseasoned jar to cook at home.

thanks guys, i havent had a truly great tonkotsu one yet so i'll check out ippudo.

erickso, where is 'we'? unfortunately i am heading to jersey shore on the weekend during my trip.

I'm in Austin. I have a rotisserie for my Weber grill. The we is me, the wife and two young boys.

Latest posts

Back