What's the best bread knife 2019 Misono , Wusthof , MAC

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blade827

Reaction score
Hi, Great forum! Thank you for all your help and information.

I've been reading for many hours trying to work out which bread knife to purchase. A lot of information goes all the way back to 2011 especially for the likes of the MAC and the cheaper Tojiro. I have exlcuded the latter and also the favourite of many, the Gude. The following are the three that I'm pondering over but I'm probably not going for the MAC.

Misono Molybdenum Bread Knife 696 300mm
Wusthof Classic Ikon 9” Double Serrated Bread Knife 4163-7/23 (230mm)
MAC SB-105 270mm

It seems like the MAC may have some issues with various hard crust breads. The Misono doesn't seem to have been purchased by many (price is quite high) but comments I read about it are all very positive except for the repeated issue of destroying borads. Is that really going to be a problem and is it a disadvantage that the handle is straight unlike the others? As for the Wusthof, I read one post by a reputable member either on this forum or another that said there's no better bread knife other than the Gude due to the double serrations.

I understand bread knives aren't as purchased or tested as the other main knives, but it would be great to get some feedback especially as of 2019. Has there been any new contender for top bread knife in the last few years? How about previous owners of the Misono, has the knife held up ok after all this time?

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Gude...year is irrelevant...

If you want cheap, nothing wrong w a Vic.

I have both a normal Wüsthof bread knife and this one:

https://www.wuesthof.com/australia/products/Product-details/super-slicer-4532

The super slicer is the better and more versatile knife, in my opinion. It has a scalloped edge, which means that, with crusty breads, you get far fewer crumbs flying around. With really soft breads or, for example, croissants, you get a cleaner cut without tearing. The super slicer is useful for other things as well, as a pastry knife, slicing brisket, for skinning pineapple, etc.

I've hardly touched my normal bread knife since I got this one.

You've excluded the answer
to your own question? Gude is the mother of all bread knives - the 320 sword or the 210 "normal" knife.

The Tojiro is decent, the Mac is considerably better. Messermeister doesn't suck. Wustie does. Henks does more.

F.Dick is pretty decent, and Gude 320 is the best for problem loaves like giant sourdough rounds and/or rustic style artisanal breads. These are really the only reason you might need a "real breadknife" IMHO, everything else is cut pretty easily with something basic...from $30 vic to MAC or whatever else you prefer.

Variables to evaluate with breadknives:
1) how thick is the blade (heel height)...wider cuts straighter for better or worse
2) how pointy are the teeth? points cut crusty-bread and cutting boards. round lobes cut pastry, delicate breads and don't leave crumbs.
3) how much arc is in the blade? good breadknife should have some arc (handle clearance and angle of attack is variable)
4) can you sharpen those teeth? you will need to, and maybe invest in a slip-stone or DMT diamond rod, etc...consider your budget and skills

Keep in mind (4) in particular---you will need to sharpen the breadknife, as any one you buy has a shelf life of maybe 6months ...before its noticebly duller than new. Also wrt (2) I would't rule out the Mac just because its a pastry style knife, its probably a great quiver addition for many people. Maybe one of the best for a traveling kit or pro-kniferoll. Not because its the best pure breadknife, but because it has a wide range of performance, is relatively cheap, and decent hardness...ie its a multi-purpose tool which matters when space and budget are limited.

Last edited:
I've owned the Misono for a couple of years and it's still holding up really well, it replaced a shorter Wusthof which I liked but was too short. In the UK choice of easily shipped bread knives was limited so Misono from JCK was the easiest good option. I've also had great experience with other Misono knives.

I'd agree with the comments on the handle, it is very straight when you get near the board but hands are usually off the edge anyway so it's not a big deal for me. Sharpness wise it seems just as sharp as when I bought it, it goes through crust bread without issues. I wouldn't say it's any more harsh on board than any other sharp serrated knife but it does sometimes cut into it, I have a board just for bread...

The 10 dollar calphalon bread knive at any home goods, has performed admirably for years. Wouldn’t even bother getting another.

I was asking the same question 2 months ago...

Finally I went with Wüsthof Classic Bread Knife 26 cm

https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-classic-bread-knife-10-5.htm

I choose it for 2 reasons: the knife and finish looked better to me compared to Misono or MAC. Second point is that I know how to sharpen it. Which is something I cannot say for MAC...

Great knife, it goes through bread like crazy and just the right length.

Thank you for all the replies and information. I'm still reading through and will try to make a decision soon.

About the Gude. I didn't really consider it due to the size and cost. I know it seems great for crusty or artisan breads but how is it for fresh soft white sandwich bread? How about cakes?

Thank you for all the replies and information. I'm still reading through and will try to make a decision soon.

About the Gude. I didn't really consider it due to the size and cost. I know it seems great for crusty or artisan breads but how is it for fresh soft white sandwich bread? How about cakes?

Guede for life, tojiro is ok(as is mac) for the above items I use a chef knife/gyuto, preferably a laser, way cleaner cut then any bread knife will give.

This is KKF, when presented to option to "buy both" we will recommend you to buy both :)

I have the shorter Gude, and it's the best I've ever used on anything crusty or relatively firm. My only complaint is that it's a bit handle-heavy, probably because they use the same handle on both lengths. It feels like it's probably weighted more to balance the longer "sword" version of the knife. Otherwise, it's great.

On soft breads, like Rosemary Potato Bread that I occasionally bake, I don't use the Gude and wouldn't use any serrated bread knife. A sharp gyuto or long petty knife works better. For cake, we use a cake cutter -- not sure if that's the actual name, it's a long narrow spatula thing with a rounded tip. With cake, it's usually simultaneous slicing and serving, so you need at least a little spatula surface area.

Probably very unpolular opinion, but Kyocera makes a rather short bread knife that cuts like no other. Puts the Tojiro/ Macs to shame...as to which, I like both.

Gude for thick crusty stuff only. Tojiro or Mac for everything else like soft loaves, cake, croissant.

I have both the Gude bread sword and the tojiro. I honestly use the Gude more but I bake bread often. Anytime the tojiro would come out I usually already have a Gyuto out and just use that but when you are doing volume it’s great to have.

Personally I’m thinking hard about a victorinox w rosewood handle. As a lefty everything I’ve used steers. And I still have fond memories of those knives before I got into jbread knives.

Think some of the Vic 10.25 fibrox are made in Spain. The Rosewood are Swiss made. We cut loaf bread and sandwich with sharp gyuto at home works fine.

Used to cut up loafs of bread for croutons at work the 10.25 Forschner worked great.

Played with idea of picking up a rosewood Vic. It was the most used bread knife in Hotels bake shop, pantry line simply because it cut so well.

I had a Mac and have used various other knives of colleges, can't beat a victorinox pastry knife imo

I bought myself a 'Florentine Kitchen Knives' Bread knife (Challah knife) back when it was a limited edition for the Jewish museum.

http://lumberjac.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Florentine-Kitchen-Knives-Challah.jpg

Mostly because I liked the handle style and the fact it was limited only - not so much for the steel.

Basically I think I could cut my breads with every of my chefs knives....worst case even with a regular dinner knife :)...so for me it's design only.

AFAIK they were selling a 'bread knife' after the limited offer was over as part of their product line, but as they somehow changed the production to 'made to order' I am not sure if you still can buy them.

Basically you could look for 'challah knife' on the web to find some rather interesting designs apart from the traditional knife aesthetics.

Mattai

Back