What's the worst you put your knives through?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was cutting up a few medium-sized pumpkins with my Mazaki gyuto the other day and it got me thinking:
I know that most people here like to baby their knives but as a chef, I put my knives through hell and back. Sometimes when things get pretty balls to the wall you tend to do anything to get your prep done ASAP. We're talking hard squash, chicken bones, lamb racks and lobster shells. Thankfully, 210 Takamura migaki escaped with the occasional micro chips and my Mazaki 210 Kasumi has escaped unscathed ( so far). What are the craziest things you guys have put your knives through and did your knives escape unscathed or as a lesser knife?

Attachments

• 2018-08-16 12.41.52 2.jpg
    2018-08-16 12.41.52 2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 201
Drop them on concrete, cut nails I have made I think only one custom deba and they guy actually got back to me about it a couple weeks ago, and told me how well it was holding up for him, turn out he was doing lots of lobster with it :eek:

My 6 year old threw a ball at me while I was in the kitchen and knocked one of my Ikeda honyakis off the mag block that is 7 ft above the floor. It bounced off the counter and onto the floor. 1 small chip on the edge that was 90% gone with a full progression sharpening. It sure sounded bad when it happened.

It just goes to show you that these knives are tougher than are often given credit.

I once was pretty drunk and used a knife to split a little piece of wood. (needed a small piece to use in the stone holder with my small jnat stones.)
holding it up to the light the edge looked like a big S and there was a bend right to the middle of the blade.
I re-bent it back the best i could, then thjnned the piss out of it. Looks like nothing ever happened. (the sharpening just removed the high spot) -- and now im happy because the blade works way better than it did before due to all the thinning. :)

Drop them on concrete, cut nails I have made I think only one custom deba and they guy actually got back to me about it a couple weeks ago, and told me how well it was holding up for him, turn out he was doing lots of lobster with it :eek:
Haha I guess you can start making Custom debas now ;)

I once was pretty drunk and used a knife to split a little piece of wood. (needed a small piece to use in the stone holder with my small jnat stones.)
holding it up to the light the edge looked like a big S and there was a bend right to the middle of the blade.
I re-bent it back the best i could, then thjnned the piss out of it. Looks like nothing ever happened. (the sharpening just removed the high spot) -- and now im happy because the blade works way better than it did before due to all the thinning. :)
I would've fainted at the big S. I wish someday I would be able to fix my knives too should something happen to them!

For me all the heavy knife work like spatchcock chicken, rabbits, large squash and such go to a 12" carbon sabatier. Beast of a knife. Comfortable in hand. Enough weight to help you through the tough stuff. Never has chipped the edge.

Letting my wife use my butcher, and it didn't make it unscathed...

Nothing too dramatic... chopping fish heads off using my Masamoto Deba that sort of thing...

Splitting lobsters, breaking down parmesan wheel, whole fish.. I don't hesitate to use any of my knives for tough tasks. The only time I will actually reach for a IDGAF knife is if I have to cut something frozen.

Absolutely the worst thing is when I forget to put out German knives when there are guests staying over...
Just about anything is possible, screwdriver substitute, burnt handles because someone wasn't looking where there're putting a hot skillet down, etc. Lol.
The abuse the average household levies against kitchen knives is amazing.

Umm .. I have one for you: tldr: "I didn't have a saw ..."

So I had to make a thing, had a plank about 8" wide about 1/2" thick, that I need to get into two 4" planks.
Maye 14" long.
So, I didn't have a saw at the time.
I grabbed my trusty 5.5" Chicago Cutlery knife and a small hammer.
By the end, I had two 4" x 14" x 1/2", surprisingly even too .. and all fingers were still attached.

Open the top of young coconuts (heel), open pour holes for cans of broth (heel), crack open old coconuts (spine), cut through mature chicken bone (blade), cut up charcoal bits for bbq, hammered some nails, split and crack a big lobster (8ish lbs)

Back